Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dahorne
Topic Author

Pinnacle Soundbridge Home Music and Slimserver /AlienBBC

Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:07 am

Does anyone know if the Pinnacle version of Soundbridge ("Home Music") works with Slimserver. I can't get Slimserver to find it on the network.

Everything else seems to work fine from the Soundbridge - uPnP and Internet radio, even the BBC UK-only WMA streams. And the Slimserver (installed as per BPA's excellent instructions) works fine with Softsqueeze.

dahorne
Topic Author

Is the Home Music an M400?

Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:48 am

Ahh - it looks like the Pinnacle Home Music is the M400. And from other posts, that clearly won't work with Slimserver because of the small display.

Can someone confirm that this is correct?

And - does the Pinnacle Soundbridge Radio suffer the same problem or is it OK (as it has a much bigger display).

Reason is that I want to buy a Soundbridge radio, but it must support podcasts and BBC "listen again" via Slimserver / AlienBBC.

OldGeezer

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:02 am

If you're really desperate you can get the M400 to connect to Slimserver's raw stream (http://yourhost:9000/stream.mp3), but you have to control Slimserver via external means.
I have this as one of the presets.
Stream output also takes ages to filter through (must be a lot of buffering somewhere) - but it gets there in the end.

bpa

Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:36 am

IT should be OK - See this thread and mrshades comments.
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=15954

Re Podcasts and Listen Again - AlienBBC parses the web page and so updates are needed every so often as BBC changes the web site design.

The latest version of AlienBBC 1.06 which is normally used by Soundbridge users is out of date and so after installation of Slimserver - a couple of AlienBBC files needs to be updated to get access to items such as Podcasts and some of the Listen Again menus.

dahorne
Topic Author

Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:22 pm

Thanks for your posts guys - I will try the raw stream idea for the M400.

I guess I am going to buy that SB Radio :D

bpa

Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:07 am

Because of litigation fears by the original developers of AlienBBC - AlienBBC will not stream to stream.mp3 only to Squeezebox type devices.

dahorne
Topic Author

Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:53 pm

Thanks BPA. I spent a happy few hours playing around with AlienBBC and eventually found the plugin file containing the code that tests for the presence of a compatible sound player. Having edited it out, I can actually hear the mp3 stream on the M400 :D :D

Happy to provide details privately if you don't already have the info :roll:

Not that I am interested in using this for the M400 as it's obviously necessary to "control" the stream from slimserver :(

I just wanted to convince myself that the Pinnacle version of Roku Soundbridge Radio would be usable with AlienBBC. From your other posts, it looks like the SB Radio does look like a pukka (enough) player to control Slimserver from it's controls / remote :?:

So on that basis I will part with the £140 or so for an SB Radio - just didn't want to spend that amount without ability to handle Listen again 8)

I did play with a Revo Pico recently, and though it's a neat box (and portable), I was very underwhelmed with its user-friendliness compared to the Roku products. The Roku is miles ahead. Not sure if this would be a problem with all Reciva chip based systems i.e. the majority but probably is.

So my money's going to Roku (again) :D :D

Thanks for your help.