Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

geomarkham
Topic Author

2 out of 4 Soundbridge units shown to be defective. Cheap!

Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:11 pm

I bought four Sound Bridge Units almost two years ago . About a year ago (just after the warranty expired) one of them stopped working entirely and only displays gobbledigook on the LED screen. I emailed to see about getting it repaired and the technician indicated to me that it would be almost as expensive to get it repaired than to buy a new one. I decided I'd use the spare unit I had on hand and held on to the broken one for some strange reason.
About six months later another failed to work and displyed squares in the display, this unit has been in an entirely different part of my house.

I could understand this coincidence if other electrical components plugged into the same outlets were getting fryed as well, but they all work fine.
Both units ran exceptionally hot, I mean really hot.

So now the dilemma, I have two units that work, and it costs almost as much to repair them as it is to buy another, but with two breaking in the course of a year in a half after purchaisng them I don;t trust the quality of these units.

Anybody else with the same problem???

RokuLyndon

Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Geo,

Your units should be almost cool to the touch. If not, then there's a problem. Were the two that failed also hot?

geomarkham
Topic Author

Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Lyndon,

The three 500 models were all hot to the touch.

Only one of them is still working and it too is hot, but not as hot as the two that failed.

Geo

ismarketing

Cool to the touch? You're Kidding right?

Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:08 pm

Lyndon,

I have 5 SB's - a 1001, 2 1000's, and 2 500's. All of them run hot to the touch and have since I got them.

Are you saying I have 5 soon to die/defective units?

Thanks for any input on this.

Greg_E

Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:39 pm

My brand new M1001 is gets rather warm, figured it was just the display. Maybe I better cook it for a few weeks to make sure it is OK before I put it in our campus bookstore for the PA.

geomarkham
Topic Author

Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:38 pm

It appears the 500 is no longer available. perhaps there is a reason, I'll have to double check and look for another source.

The 1000 seems to work fine and have not had a problem with it.
All Roku has responded with was the expected statements, rather than acknowledging that it indicates that they have a quality problem. I wonder what their tolerences were for approving a product as conforming. Again 2 out 3 500's failed within a year and a half of use.
As I shop for replacements I will chime in on this, as I think Roku is being pretty irresponsible in recognizing the problem. Yeah sure legally they were out of warranty (the first to go was only out by a few weeks/month at the most) I figured I'd eat it, until the second one went six months later.

The best I can do is warn people about my experience with the M500, if others have the same experience maybe that will get their attention.

Burkhardi

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:29 pm

The following is just my 2-cetns worth, your milage may vary and a I am not a doctor, but did stay at a Holiday Express once...

The reason the M500 was diso'ed IMHO was due to the M1000 only costing $50 more and having a much better display (VFD verse LCD), also the M500(and M1000/2000) only support WEP. Then the M1001 replaced the M1000 and can do both WEP and WAP (the R1000 does too). The M1001's display works with onlt 5volts and not 9volts like the M500 and M1000 did, so it runs a little cooler.

Heat is all relative, what you think is very hot to the touch may be cool or warm to someone else. Do you have an infrared therometer that you could use to get real world numbers?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

geomarkham
Topic Author

Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:01 pm

We'll that might explain why the 500 was discontinued. But 50 bucks is 50 bucks and it was also about half the size which had some market appeal (thar is why I bought both models) maybe they'll come out with a smaller model.

No, I don't have an infrared thermometer handy, but the Roku rep who answered my first post used touch as the instrument of choice when describing how warm it should run. If it helps you understand any better, I was practically unable to hold it, it was that far away from "warm to the touch" (yet still subjective, yes). The point is that neither of them work any more and heat was the only observable symptom of what could have been the root cause of the problem. I bet Roku has an infrared thermometer, but they don't seem to be interested in knowing what the problem is.

fm.72

Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:10 pm

Well, as far as I can see it, this must still be coincidence. I own one SB500 myself, a good friend of mine another two. They are all three beyond 3 years, and definitely "cool". After running for about 1 hour, I'd estimate the temperature to be around 30 °C (86 °F). So, 0 out of 3 for us, knock on wood...

Just my $0.02...

stretch

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:39 am

Search and you shall find...

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=47407#47407
The main sign of the problem was a hot case.
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

Burkhardi

Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:39 am

geomarkham wrote:
We'll that might explain why the 500 was discontinued. But 50 bucks is 50 bucks and it was also about half the size which had some market appeal (thar is why I bought both models) maybe they'll come out with a smaller model.

No, I don't have an infrared thermometer handy, but the Roku rep who answered my first post used touch as the instrument of choice when describing how warm it should run. If it helps you understand any better, I was practically unable to hold it, it was that far away from "warm to the touch" (yet still subjective, yes). The point is that neither of them work any more and heat was the only observable symptom of what could have been the root cause of the problem. I bet Roku has an infrared thermometer, but they don't seem to be interested in knowing what the problem is.

The M500 and M1000 are the exact same size.
How high is your brightness set? 100%? I think anything above 52% is the same brightness (more of less) but uses more current which also make more heat (at least in theory (I am not an engineer, nor do I work for Roku)). My M500's do run warmer then my M1000.
I know having a piece of electronics fail is bummer, even more so when it's over $100.

Mine run about body temp, which I call cool since I deal with a lot of electronic type stuff, as I said, its all very relative which is why numebrs are better. Some people call cool cold to the touch (like 75F).
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku