Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ItzDaTruth
Topic Author

ROKU’S CONTEMPT FOR SOUNDBRIDGE CUSTOMERS

Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:08 am

12 months ago today, on 28th Sept 2007, Mike Kobb announced to us that he was quitting Roku, the consequences of which have most definitely proven to be a very sad day for us all.

For since his departure there has been no further development announced by Roku for the SoundBridge, and I’m sure we all miss him sharing his expertise and the speedy responses he so regularly posted in answer to our technical problems.

Furthermore, much to my disgust, and to compound the problem, Roku’s Management for the last year have not only failed to appoint an engineer to deal with such issues associated with Soundbridges, but have also allowed their Warranty & Support Team (with the exception of Lyndon) to regularly fail to respond and service the support-tickets sent for their department’s attention.

A prime example of Roku Management’s complacent attitude towards their customers is the manner in which they have failed to adequately deal with the all too well-known documented faults of the R1000 radio by failing to inform their aggrieved customers of how such faulty shoddily manufactured units may be appropriately repaired outside of the warranty period, and then to add insult to injury by having the audacity to suggest to these most unfortunate owners that their most expedient solution is to purchase a refurbished unit.

The decline in all aspects of Support, along with the repeated recent suggestions within these forums that the product is EOL deserves comment by no lesser person than Roku’s CEO Anthony Wood.
However, Roku’s demonstrated contempt for it’s SoundBridge customers during the last 12 months makes this most improbable.

Greg_E

Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:06 am

Have to agree with this.

ItzDaTruth
Topic Author

Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:29 am

Děkuji -

AmazinglySmooth

Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:03 pm

1Q03

batka

Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Yes, it's sad to see but indeed the forum and the Soundbridge seems to be dead.
And it's very weird that anyone from the staff don't even post a single comment about anything. It would be nice if they would just post a sentence that everybody should be patient, or anything. Whatever small post, but they should state something.

And BTW, I still like my Soundbridge M1001, I won't sell it anyway, but it's indeed quiet bugging that there is no a single word from staff.

andyg

Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:55 pm

indeed the forum and the Soundbridge seems to be dead

neither of which is really true since you're posting, you're using your SB :wink:- but development is evidently at the end of road, and consequently meaningful Roku input on these fora.

Playing devil's advocate, Roku are not obliged to correspond via posts in the fora, they (the fora) are I believe primarily here for us, the end user to exploit, and there is a significantly different protocol for submitting specific support requests. Input from the likes of RokuMike and latterly RokuLyndon were/are welcome but by no means obligatory on the part of RokuLabs and anyone believing otherwise is deluding themselves.

However, it is difficult to reconcile the lack of communication that some users have experienced via the support ticket route and if half the gripes you read are valid then it's a poor way to treat customers. Roku seem to have had their collective head in the sand for some time wrt SB radio users and all their problems (not good PR) and instead are pinning their badge to the Netflix gig and, I imagine, hoping that will keep their head above water. Good luck to them, not that I'm sure they deserve it.

Furthermore, it says something about the company and the whole RadioRoku thing that having implemented it, it falls to 2 users based in Europe to provide the backbone of the support operation and maintain the database with nary a single input form Roku. oh, and the server has a habit of failing over a weekend with nobody to fix it til Monday. Doh...Talk about taking the piss.

What do we want though? Is Logitech support any good with the Squeezebox since they acquired it from Slim? I don't know that answer but perhaps Roku should have been bought out by a bigger player who would have invested more in further R&D rather than lapsing a really top product (M2000/1000/1001)... But equally the flip side may also be a lack of communication from Slim/Logitech support that is just as frustrating as Roku's usual silence. I'm sure most readers/posters here keep their communication with larger companies to the bare minimum where possible to avoid the bang-your-head-against-a-brick-wall syndrome. :cry: That's why we turn to fellow users who by and large can advise/solve/reassure as much as, if not better than, the official support channel. So long as it's not a hardware failure issue...

Long time users remember RokuMike for his insight, knowledge, dedication and time invested not just in Roku as a company but the fora as well. I think he's an exception to the rule and a credit as such. But times move on friends, and so do businesses and their business plans. A simple one-liner from Anthony Wood confirming the immediate demise of the SB and no further development/official support/production would be a flower of a lot better than nothing at all but Roku's continuing silence seems to all but confirm that anyway. So long as they continue to develop fixes for when Apple/BBC break connectivity that's as much as I'm going to hope for, along with the tech/engineering heads amongst us who have fixed Soundbridges, recommended alternative PSUs, solved software/connectivity issues - it's a pity they're not working for Roku - but maybe they know something we don't...:roll:

Most of the interesting additions to the SB and its functionality have come via users/3rd party developers: alarm/clock features, weather and info add-ons (air traffic control chatter being a personal favourite :oops:) /the development of mt-daapd/firefly to incorporate the SB and its protocol/control via 3rd party hard & software - so as long as our Soundbridges function and we can make them work how WE choose, we seem to be covered pretty much. I think that's as much as we can hope for.

£1-worth / andy
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

KlaasV

Déjà vu

Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:58 am

andyg,

what a perfect obituary!

But Roku will not officially declare that the Soundbridge is dead before the remaining stock of new Radios and refurbished M1001s is sold. New M1001s have not been available for months now.

Once the remaining stock is sold, you will have a déjà vu: http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=8538.

Regards
Klaas

DavesNotHereMan

Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:42 am

andyg wrote:
Furthermore, it says something about the company and the whole RadioRoku thing that having implemented it, it falls to 2 users based in Europe to provide the backbone of the support operation and maintain the database with nary a single input form Roku. oh, and the server has a habit of failing over a weekend with nobody to fix it til Monday. Doh...Talk about taking the piss.

And people wondered why I didn't want the "upgrade" that ties my Soundbridges to Radio Roku. It was clear to me that this ALWAYS happens with ANY company someday. I really want my Soundbridges to continue to function as standalone devices.

Now if only I could figure a way for them to stop trying to upgrade themselves every time I power them on...

PawelW

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:04 pm

I also have a M1001 and it's sad to hear that that good device died :-(
But as I know inside this device is linux so i think that Roku should publish source code, if they don't want devlop it anymore. Of coure without propety stuff like iTunes.
When we will have some base then we can start to develop new softwre.

alanmc

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:18 pm

@ PawelW

You might want to use the search button to read topics associated with the firmware, and the ADI Blackfin DSP within the SoundBridge - Forget 'open source' -

tal

Re: Déjà vu

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:22 pm

KlaasV wrote:
New M1001s have not been available for months now.

According to expansys.de their supplier has them in stock and they'll deliver them within 9 days ... I'll believe it when I hear from somebody who really got a new M1001 :wink:

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

scruss

Re: Déjà vu

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:43 am

tal wrote:
I'll believe it when I hear from somebody who really got a new M1001 :wink:

I got a new one from Expansys Canada a couple of months ago. Couldn't be happier with the service and support I've received from Roku.
Hug a wind turbine today!

Wondercow

Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:10 am

DavesNotHereMan wrote:
And people wondered why I didn't want the "upgrade" that ties my Soundbridges to Radio Roku. It was clear to me that this ALWAYS happens with ANY company someday. I really want my Soundbridges to continue to function as standalone devices.

Now if only I could figure a way for them to stop trying to upgrade themselves every time I power them on...

FWIW the 3.x software doesn't tie your unit to Radio Roku. I'm running 3.whatever and never, as a rule, use the Radio Roku service. Upgrading will do nothing to change the fact that your units are "standalone devices".
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

S80_UK

Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:05 am

Wondercow wrote:
FWIW the 3.x software doesn't tie your unit to Radio Roku. I'm running 3.whatever and never, as a rule, use the Radio Roku service. Upgrading will do nothing to change the fact that your units are "standalone devices".

Agreed entirely. I use firmware 3.0.44 and my SoundBridges serve me very well without connecting to the internet or Radio Roku (I block them at the router). Definitely fine operating stand-alone.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

JustPatrick

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:19 pm

AmazinglySmooth wrote:
1Q03

:lol: It's been a while since I've seen that mentioned.