Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Mark Knecht
Topic Author

Non-User questions

Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi,
I'm not a SoundBridge user but I do have the NetFlix player and love that product. I'm visiting my parents for the holidays and my dad asked me about Internet radio products and I thought about SoundBridge. However a quick browse of the web site didn't seem to answer his questions so I thought I'd ask here.

First, which is most important to us is that he is TOTALLY Linux-based. There are no Macs or Windows boxes in his house. Will he be able to use all the features of the SoundBridge product? It seems that looking around there were some downloads that were Windows apps. That won't work for us. When I look at RokuRadio web pages I see pictures of widgets. Are these Java applets? The FAQ says stuff is officially supported in Windows and Mac broswers. Is anyone here using Linux?

Is there some single place where all radio stations are listed? He has been listening to certain locations via Firefox and wants to know if they'd be available through SoundBrige.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later but these two issues seem like show stoppers if I get the wrong answers.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

alanmc

Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:17 pm

Hi Mark, welcome to the forums -

As far as Internet Radio is concerned, I have four M1001s which can all work to play in excess of 12,000 stations without the use of a PC :wink:

You can of course learn more about the product by reading the content of the various forums -

Happy Christmas, Alan

Mark Knecht
Topic Author

Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

So can someone simply purchase an M1001, hook it up to the network (assuming DHCP is running I presume) and then use the product? No PCs are required to configure it at all? I thought I was reading that I have to have a PC running some recent version of Java to do upgrades to the firmware?

My dad is in his 80's, is not very PC literate, runs Linux which I maintain from 400 miles away. I want to find him a product he can place by the bed and just start using. Best case he just plugs it in to a hard wired Ethernet port to start. I'm not sure he's capable of setting up WPA if I'm not here.

I'm reading the web site and the forums but of course it's hard to understand when you've never even seen a SoundBridge. I've been using the RadioRoku part of the web site to play a few radio stations but right now I'm on a Windows laptop so I need to see how it works on my Gentoo boxes. I like to start with Windows so I learn the system and then look for problems on Linux.

Again, thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Mark

alanmc

Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:07 pm

In what country does your father reside ?

Mark Knecht
Topic Author

Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:10 pm

USA - California. Runs cable modem based network into his house. I control his router and update all his Linux machines remotely. Uses Gentoo Linux exclusively. Runs Firefox as a browser.

alanmc

Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:35 pm

I asked the 'location' question to check if he really needed a v 3.0.52 firmware upgrade as would be advised if he lived here in the UK :wink:

The current 'regular' firmware for Soundbridges is 3.0.44 which will yield the vast majority of the stations in the database - However certain stations do require v. 3.0.52

Off the top of my head I feel your father would be very well served with a M1001 running v 3.0.44 . . . . he then could drive his hi-fi with this product or run it through a set of active 2.1 speakers.

To check what firmware version is already pre-installed in the latest batch of M1001s email RokuLyndon > lallydice@rokulabs.com

However, for your father to use a SoundBridge to it's best advantage I suggest you adopt the following methodology:

1. You purchase the product and set-up via Radio Roku (say) 50 stations that will become his Favourites, and also the 18 available PreSet slots - He then can easily use these 68 stations without a PC.

2. For any other stations, he would need to use the built-in search functions of the M1001.

Cheers, Alan

46jimbo

Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:23 am

This is just to confirm that the Roku will function independant of a computer. It connects directly to your wireless router.

The Roku Soundbridge needs to be plugged into a stereo system. The Roku Radio has it's own speakers, so it doesn't have to plug into anything.

Your biggest challenge will be to find either of these items, as they aren't sold in stores any more. But you can perhaps still find them on the Roku website.