Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

AuntieLolo
Topic Author

Is my power adapter (PSU) dying?

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:56 am

I have had my M1001 for 15 months. It's on (powered) about 12 hours a day. Today the machine has been erratically shutting down and then repowering. It's not the power source, it's on the same strip as the computer and monitor.

Could my power adapter be dying? I have read the posts about buying a new power adapter and Radio Shack is close by, but before I go spending money I want to be sure that it is the power and not something else.

Lori

alanmc

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi Lori,

You can hope that the problem is merely the PSU as this of course is cheap and simple to Replace -
To check the PSU, this should really be done under load . . . . unless of course when you stick your multimeter across it the voltage immediately reads something around 3.5 volts. If you don't know how to go about checking it under load send me a PM.

So in the hope that it's merely the PSU that's the problem when it comes to a replacement you need a regulated 5 volts DC output, but IMHO I would try to get one that can deliver at least 2 amps output, 4 amps is what I use with all of my M1001s - do ensure that the polarity is centre-pin + positive :wink:

There is plenty of info about this issue that can be found if you use the search button.

Cheers, Alan