Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jpmelton
Topic Author

Problems with iTunes 8.1 for Windows

Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:51 pm

My M1001 has been working great. Then I upgraded to iTunes 8.1.
Now I have a host of issues.

1) I cannot see my playlists on my SB.
2) I can no longer connect my hard wire Ethernet and get my SB to work but can by activating my wireless connection.
3) If I bring up WMP and share music everything works as it should but only on wireless.
4) I have made no hardware upgrades or additions other than upgrading the firmware on my Linksys WRT65GS router ver 5, but this problem was there even before I upgraded the firmware.
5) The main error I get when attempting to link to iTunes is my Sound bridge needs to be authorized via my Media player. I have my playlists shared in iTunes.

Any suggestions would be great. I have de-installed iTunes 8.1 and re-installed. I attempted to go back to my previous version via the restore options but iTunes will not run because it states that a new version has tweaked my library. I also tried to download and install the old version but again get the same error around newer version issues with my library.
I also spoke to iTunes support with no resolution to my problem. They gave me a list of apple related products that needed to uninstalled and re-installed and after that everything worked great for about 2-hours and then my SB stopped working and now here we are. As far as wireless goes… I have full connection capability throughout the house and have verified access on two separate computers on running XP and the other Vista.

alanmc

Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:48 am

I do not believe for one single moment that what you are experiencing was caused by iTunes 8.1, (and I'm no iTunes 'fan-boy' by any stretch of the imagination). How certain are you that you now have reinstalled iTunes 101% correctly?

Have you tried a full 'factory reset' whilst your M1001 is connected via an ethernet cable so as to get a clean setup?

maximus

Re: Problems with iTunes 8.1 for Windows

Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm seeing the same sort of thing thing. It sounds like you've gone through a great deal more work in the attempt to solve this. Very disappointing to hear that you can't step back to the previous version.

Sorry to say I haven't come up with a solution yet either. Please report if you come up with something that works.

stretch

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:07 pm

jpmelton wrote:
My M1001 has been working great. Then I upgraded to iTunes 8.1.
Now I have a host of issues.

jpmelton wrote:
4) I have made no hardware upgrades or additions other than upgrading the firmware on my Linksys WRT65GS router ver 5, but this problem was there even before I upgraded the firmware.
Which did you do first?

It's not very clear but are you saying that it works but only when everything is connected via wireless?
Does everything work when you use Ethernet cables to all devices?
Does the problem only occur when using a mixture of wired & wireless connections?

If you answer Yes to the last three questions then it sounds like you have a multicast problem & the culprit is most likely your router, Bonjour or a firewall.
Was one of the Apple related products you had to reinstall Bonjour?
What firewall do you run on your computer? (Note: the router firewall plays no part in this so leave it alone)
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

maximus

Re: Problems with iTunes 8.1 for Windows

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:09 pm

I haven't made any recent hardware/firmware changes. One computer on my home network (Windows XP Pro) still has iTunes 7 and shows playlists on the M1001 without any problems. Another PC with iTunes 8.1 just installed isn't showing anything through iTunes on the M1001. This same PC will show the playlists from Windows Media Player. I also did try a power-on reset to the M1001.

To me, this is strong evidence that there's something wrong with iTunes 8.1.

alanmc

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:34 pm

@ Maximus

I can confirm for you that with either my Vista Home Premium HP laptop, iTunes 8.1.0.51, SoundBridges M1001s 3.0.44 (wireless) & 3.0.52 (Cat-6), Fritz!Box 7140 : all will play A/OK - Same applies to my Lenovo S10 Workstation (downgraded from Vista 64bit to XP-Pro 32bit). I reiterate, iTunes 8.1.0.51 plays A/OK on all my M1001s from both computers.

I normally now play my music collection from a WHS (Tranquill PC SQA-5H) - previously used a QNAP TS-109 - to play music by having a PC in the loop, rather than using a dedicated device/server, is not for me :wink:

maximus

Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:15 pm

@alanmc

Thanks for the confirmation. I have iTunes 8.1.0.52 and M1001 3.0.44.

If I get desperate I may try your factory reset suggestion. I wouldn't try downloading any updates. :)

Cheers, Max

jpmelton
Topic Author

Still havein problems with iTunes, WMP and my M1001

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:16 pm

Well thanks for the various replies, however my life just keep getting worse. And I did a factory reset of my M1001 just t get everything back to a set value. So amazingly I brought up WMP last week and notice in the Sharing option that it was pointing to the SB. So rather than denying it I chose to remove it, and believe it or no My SB starting working great on wireless. However, last evening somehow my desktop system running iTunes got shutdown and when I brought is back up the problems started all over again. WMP taking over, even when I remove the SB from WMP, my M1001 states that I need to authorize it to connect, etc. However, still get internet radio. At this point I don't know if it’s something strange with WMP, my SB M1001 or my router. this is very frustrating, especially since it was work fine, and now no matter what I do I can't get to my iTunes lib.

Fullychoked

Problems with iTunes 8.1.10

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:33 am

I too have a problem with connecting to iTunes at present.
I'm running Vista Home Premium with McAfee Security Centre 2009. My SB connection is wireless.

Around the same time I upgraded iTunes to 8.1.10, McAfee updated and required a re-start.
Since then I cannot connect to iTunes, but my internet connection works fine as I can access Internet Radio via the SB etc.
WMP can be seen by the SB and connects without a problem.

The issue is clearly with the McAfee Firewall, as when I disable it, iTunes sharing is again available and SB connects easily.
(If others are having the same issue, try disabling the firewall temporarily just to check)

Unfortunately, granting full access to iTunes and enabling port 3689 hasn't done the trick - now I'm out of ideas.

Anyone any suggestions?