Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

batka

Fri May 15, 2009 2:46 pm

Why they didn't sell the product to some other company, who could continue to develope and support it?

Like Logitech bought Slimdevices...

StarTechRadio

Fri May 15, 2009 3:50 pm

@ Batka

The answer to your question is that their marketing efforts were crap and they missed the boat, and once Pinnacle ceased selling SoundBridge outside of the USA their unit sales became insignificant.

You should understand that SoundBridge and Radio Roku are two sides of the same coin.
On one side there is the Hardware and on the other side there is the software/firmware that drives it.

The Hardware currently only consists of one worthwhile product (M1001) the other being the highly suspect R1000 which needs a major re-design in order to make it reliable. And they now don't have the engineers that did the development, and were the real backbone of the company - One after another they all resigned back in 2007.

The Firmware situation is however somewhat more complex as much of the code that makes up this firmware is not actually owned by RokuLabs but by ADI (Analog Devices: the manufacturer of the “Blackfinâ€

batka

Sat May 16, 2009 7:00 am

Ok, thanks for clearing it up. That all thing, it's a pity.

squashuax

Where are they now?

Fri May 22, 2009 8:48 am

Does anyone know where the engineers that made the SoundBridge great went?

I hate to say this, but under the circumstances, I'm ready to put my 3 soundbridges on eBay, and buy a couple of Squeezeboxes instead.

Bummer.
Compaq SR1520NX,
Firefly on Maxtor MSS+
iTunes
Rhapsody
Soundbridge M1001 (2)
SoundBridge R1000
Roku Netflix Player
Rotel mono power amps and pre-amp.

gerry123

Re: Where are they now?

Fri May 22, 2009 8:51 am

squashuax wrote:
Does anyone know where the engineers that made the SoundBridge great went?

I hate to say this, but under the circumstances, I'm ready to put my 3 soundbridges on eBay, and buy a couple of Squeezeboxes instead.

Bummer.

Logitech, probably.

sansp00

Fri May 22, 2009 9:23 am

From what I remember, some went at those places:
http://www.kaleidescape.com/
http://www.motorola.com/
But they probably moved on since ...

Oh ... brings back memories of RokuDon, RokuPatrick and RokuMike responded on the forum and worked with the community here to get things done.
Roku HD1000 (revived!), R1000 x2, M1001 x2
Linksys NSLU2 with Firefly
Netgear WGR614,JGS516,GS608,GS605 x3

MaddMatt

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:02 pm

Wow - haven't posted here much, as I haven't had too many issues with my Soundbridge. It's been mentioned, but worth repeating -Roku's marketing efforts are crap.

My soundbridge continues to work perfectly (granted I have only purchased a couple of albums through I-tunes, the bulk of my music comes from CD's I already own, and now through Amazon) but every guest to my house is amazed by my Soundbridge. Those who enjoy and appreciate music as more than background noise nearly always live with www.roku.com written down on a scrap of paper.

To the Soundbridge response, in this day and age advertising is cheaper than ever. It wouldn't have taken much effort to push such a great product a little bit harder. You guys should have hired some professionals when you had a chance, now with the early reviews of the video player highlighting it's inability to stream HD content I don't give your company much hope, which is a shame as I was/am a big fan of the Soundbridge. Hate to see good products go away due to mis-management.

mas

Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:36 am

Hah! :shock:

So about - whats it - 1.5 years after it became *obvious* for anyone with open eyes on this forum that the Soundbridge line was beeing phased out and discontinued, there is finally a statement admitting that.

LOL

To make it clear, I am not disappointed about the product line beeing discontinued. I know the realities of life and when a product doesn't deliver enough revenue and the management doesn't see a fix without another major monetary investment, then it is discontinued. All else is suicide financially.
Also I know very well that it is not always the best hardware that survives on the market. Quite often the contrary actually. If the other companies have the better "connections" that sometimes is just it. Get real, thats how the world works.

So I also won't comment on marketing efforts and how well that was done. It's easy to criticise and quite a bit harder to do better when one is prompted to do so.

But what is really a big joke is this kind of communication. I mean, sure, the customers are usually not the first to know these kind of things. But come on, 1.5 years after it got so obvious? Are you kidding us?

This is simply a display of disrespect and neglect to your customers. Even with all the workforce beeing redirected to other projects it would have been easy to make a clear statement in due time. Too much to expect?

What is also a shame is that the Soudbridges are the type of hardware that could have a pretty extended after-life due it's existing user-base and their willingness to support and develop it. Think of the NSLU devices and such as examples.
But I doubt there will be a chance for this here as indeed quite some part of the underlying code seems to be covered by NDA's (such as the Apple DAAP implementation and some codecs probably).
And also here the company is very evasive to come clear and state the obvious.

Leaves only the question: How stupid does this company think their customers are?
Those who sacrifice freedom over safety deserve neither.

S80_UK

Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:24 am

mas wrote:
Leaves only the question: How stupid does this company think their customers are?

Sorry, Mas, this was answered by Roku quite recently in this thread...

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=21267

RokuJamesL wrote:
Apparently neither do random comments from the peanut gallery.

I chose not to dignify that comment with a direct response...
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

collett_steve@hotmail.com

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:53 am

S80_UK wrote:
mas wrote:

Sorry, Mas, this was answered by Roku quite recently in this thread...

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=21267

RokuJamesL wrote:
Apparently neither do random comments from the peanut gallery.

I chose not to dignify that comment with a direct response...

So its ok to shamelessly flame roku whether its justified or not, but as soon as they post a comment, its open season. Such is the hipocracy of the customer being "always right"

Read the whole thread and then please get off your high horse.

S80_UK

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:19 am

collett_steve@hotmail.com wrote:
Read the whole thread and then please get off your high horse.

Hi Steve,

Sorry if I offended - I was not on a high horse - just very irritated by the comment from RokuJamesL which I felt at least partly addressed the question from mas.

I agree that the customer is certainly not always right - but that does not excuse (IMO) the "peanut gallery" reference.

Les.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

mas

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Well that question was a rhetoric one. 8-)

The plain fact that we can post almost anything here without it even beeing noticed sais it all already.

Let's try:

The Roku guys are ugly green slimy snails!

[Consider that repeated 100x]

And, what do you think, how long will that stand in this thread? I guess forever. I could probably offend their CEO here for ages, it will not even cause a reaction. 8-P
Those who sacrifice freedom over safety deserve neither.

StarTechRadio

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:05 am

This thread is getting somewhat Off Topic, so let me quickly assure you that RokuJamesL does not only read these forums but he also deletes posts that criticise what he feels don't suit him.
Permit me to explain - as he took offence to my original post about the fact that he'd failed to make an apology on behalf of Roku's poor service, on the next occasion when he answered a similar complaint, I congratulated him on his improved manners. Yes, he immediately deleted that response :wink:

Greg_E

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:07 am

At least it is finally official, though I gave up on it months ago and deleted the bookmark to these forums. The only reason I came back is our M1001 suddenly jumped back to life after many months of being dead.

It's a shame that this product never took off and didn't offer the features that some of us wanted. A partnership would have gone a long way to salvation (and hopefully profits). Had the single update I needed been made, I would have purchased at least 2 more M1001 to use around campus, but as word spread we probably would have ended up with about 10 and who knows how many the students might have bought.

collett_steve@hotmail.com

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:08 am

mas wrote:
Well that question was a rhetoric one. 8-)

The plain fact that we can post almost anything here without it even beeing noticed sais it all already.

Let's try:

[Consider that repeated 100x]

And, what do you think, how long will that stand in this thread? I guess forever. I could probably offend their CEO here for ages, it will not even cause a reaction. 8-P

Roku`s CEO is probably too busy trying to make some money for his company, rather than take time out to get irritated by childish name calling :oops:

Roku`s statement says it all. Gloat if you wish, but it would be much nicer for all involved to keep the discussions on this forum civil and grown up.