Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jjaf

Re: Windows 7 - Discuss all associated topics here please!

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:34 am

I run Firefly on a Linkstation Pro NAS, not Windows (hence my Bonjour gaffe). You should browse through the specific Firefly Media Server topic on this forum for information (e.g. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23744). I may have meant "XP mode" rather than 32 bit mode.

I cannot imagine that Firefly does not work on Windows 7 64bit otherwise there would be many complaining threads on these forums. It should just be a matter of getting the configuration correct. I would hope that one of the more expert Firefly contributors can offer you more advice.
R1000, M400, M1001

alegibaut

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Thank you jjaf, I've made a new post on the Firefly topic. I'm seriously thinking about returning to my old Win XP config... Everything worked so nice back then!!

wmm

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:40 am

Hello Friends,

I am running Win 7 x64 on my computers and iTunes 10. I have long used my Soundbridges for streaming radio. Now I have ripped my CDs and loaded them into iTunes. My Soundbridge recognizes the computer running iTunes, but does not seem to recognize iTunes itself--in the sense that it tells me I have zero playlists (which is incorrect). I am new to iTunes and perhaps I am doing something wrong, but I do have it, and my pc, set up for sharing. I have no difficulty playing a playlist on my computer.

I would be most grateful if any readers of this post could suggest things I might try.

Many thanks!

broadcaster

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:27 am

I would appreciate any advice in getting my SoundBridge M400 HomeMusic to work with Windows 7/Windows Media 12 please.

Previously, the M400 worked fine with my WinXP PC running WM11. However, I’m now running a server PC with Win7/WM12. I have managed to get the M400 to ‘see’ the Win7 PC on the network (although that wasn’t straightforward in itself). But when I select that server on the M400’s menu, it searches for a few seconds and then returns a message saying ‘Server not found’.

Reading posts on this forum, I see that others have managed to get SoundBridge devices to work with Win 7 – albeit after some difficulties – so it looks like it’s a configuration problem. I suspect it’s down to UPnP/streaming settings on the PC. I’m out of ideas. Can anyone help me please?

jjaf

Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:04 pm

It may be due to insufficient permissions on the media folder. Give all users full control to be sure.
R1000, M400, M1001

broadcaster

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks for your reply jjaf. Which folder are you referring to please?
Last edited by broadcaster on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

broadcaster

Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi jjaf - I found the folder and settings that you were referring to an set it to 'everyone'. It still didn't work. But then turned Kaspersky off (which I had done previously but not before making the change that you suggested) and, bingo!, the SoundBridge appeared as a device and could stream from the PC! If I turn Kaspersky back on, the SoundBridge cannot connect to the PC. So, somehow, I've got to configure Kaspersky to allow the SoundBridge. If not, I'll ditch Kaspersky and try another security firewall/anti-virus app.

Thanks for taking the time to drop me the post.

jjaf

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:18 am

I no longer use the over-complicated combined AV and firewall solutions. I found Norton's annual licensing process a tiresome and difficult activity.

If you have your router set up correctly (and most now come secure as standard out of the box), then all incoming traffic is blocked so a software firewall (on top of Windows Firewall) is just not needed. If you are hosting stuff then it may not be as straightforward, but you should be using a DMZ on your router to protect the rest of your network.

I use AVG free version, but as with all AV software is not guaranteed to detect every attack (e.g. zero day attacks).
R1000, M400, M1001

broadcaster

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:21 am

jjaf - thanks for the advice; all makes sense.