Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Alackman

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:06 am

i have already disabled this firewall and only use the windows one. and even when i disable this one the same problems exist..

Regards
Alackman

dupondt

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:08 am

Alackman,

here's another suggestion. You could download and install Firefly (http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org ... 0(svn-1696).exe) and check if this media server is seen by your SoundBridges (IMO it's the better alternative, anyway).

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

dupondt

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:10 am

Alackman wrote:
i have already disabled this firewall and only use the windows one.

The antivirus part of it could also interfere, so I repeat my suggestion to temporarily uninstall BullGuard for testing reasons.

Greetings
dupondt

Alackman

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:26 am

tried disabling antivirus- no luck

tried firefly still no libraries running on soundbridge

this is getting so frustrating.

Thank you so much for trying suggestions, I know it is so difficult without being able to see computer. I think I am going to have to take it back to the guy who built it for me - I cantn think what else I can try- it would seem that some setting on windopws is preventing the librbaires being recognised I am guessing it it the same reason why I cant set up a homegroup. MAybe reinstalling windows may be an answer, Ive only had it a week so would I realluy suffer from loosing much stuff?

dupondt

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:52 am

Alackman,

I hate to admit this but I don't see any further steps that could resolve the issue from the distance.

My last suggestion is to check if there's a firmware update for your router or to try a different router.

Greetings
dupondt

Alackman

Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:05 am

ok, thank you so much for your efforts, Ill let you know if I manage to resolve issue

mattyr1

Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:12 am

Hi Alackman
You mentioned you a laptop previously. Is the laptop able to see your Windows 7 machine and can it access files on the Windows 7 machine?

mattyr1

Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:02 am

Two more suggestions. Look in the Network and Sharing Center and make sure that Network is set to Home Network. Secondly, from the control panel select Choose Homegroup then Change Advanced Sharing Options and turn off password protected sharing for Home or Work. I wouldn't have thought that a clean install of Windows 7 would make any difference. You can access the internet from that machine which means that there can't be a problem with your connection to the router. The router is obviously capable of carrying out this kind of operation as it works with other computers. It seems unlikely to be anything to do with 64 bit as I am running 64 bit without problems. You could try doing a search on the internet for something about problems in using Homegroup. My understanding is that its main aim is to make sharing with other Windows 7 PCs easier so you don't have to go fishing around for background settings. I am having no problems networking my Windows 7 PC and Vista laptop so it is possible.

Alackman

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:30 am

mattyr1 wrote:
Hi Alackman
You mentioned you a laptop previously. Is the laptop able to see your Windows 7 machine and can it access files on the Windows 7 machine?

yep this seems to be workign fine, I can access all of the files on my lap top through PC I actually havent tried the other way around though, so that is somehting I will have a go at. I can use the printer with my lap top that is wired to PC

Alackman

Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:32 am

sorry, must have misread your post - I havnt actaully tried to see if I can see folders on win 7 machine through lap top only the pother way around. I will check and post agina later

following mattyrs post.

Network is set to Home, as mentioned beofre i cnat set up a homegroup. I jsyt get the message windows cannot set up a homegroup on this PC so this is not set up and thefore no password - could the fact I cant set up a homegroup be conected?

mattyr1

Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:09 pm

I jsyt get the message windows cannot set up a homegroup on this PC so this is not set up and thefore no password - could the fact I cant set up a homegroup be conected?

Yes. It is part of networking and seems likely to be connected. I didn't get this message so not sure what to do about it personally. However, a quick google on similar issues turned up this as first result... http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... a2c1469bd7
Any use? There were other pages beyond this that I haven't looked at. I'll leave that to you to chase up if you so desire! FYI, I googled
windows cannot setup homegroup on this computer

mattyr1

Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:31 pm

Just came across this too.
http://forum.bullguard.com/forum/15/Win ... 78979.html
It seems to be suggesting that you may have problems with BullGuard even after sorting out the HomeGroup issue. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and I hope it isn't so. How is your competency and patience with troubleshooting windows?

dupondt

Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:38 pm

Alackman,

I can use the printer with my lap top that is wired to PC

Do you mean that the printer is wired to the PC or that the laptop is wired to the network?

Here are some more questions:

If you connect your laptop running XP to the network over Wi-Fi and start WMP as a UPnP server on that machine, do the SoundBridges and WMP on the Windows 7 machine see it? Does WMP on the laptop see WMP on the desktop?

Furthermore, please open "Network" on your Windows 7 machine and click on one of the SoundBridges. The SB's web interface will be opened in a browser window. Click "Status" and post the network information here (but without the MAC addresses, please).

Greetings
dupondt

Alackman

Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:22 pm

sorry, I meant that the printer is wired to the PC.

If I allow the soundbridges connection rights in xp on the Laptop the soundbrisges are able to play the music from my lap top. WMP on windows 7 can aslo connect to music on lap top (xp) Im not sure how I can use WMP on lap top to connect to desktop wmp?

here are the details from SB status

Software Version

SoundBridge is running software version 3.0.44

Network Information
Connected via: WiFi
WiFi MAC address:
IP Address: 192.168.11.9
Address Source: DHCP
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.11.1
DNS 1: 192.168.11.1
DNS 2: 0.0.0.0

WiFi Information
Connected to: Buffalo
Signal Quality: 98
Signal Level: -53dBm

Alackman

Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:49 pm

in addition

In wmp on laptop (xp) if I try to add location into library I can pick up all of the music folder form desktop (7) although when I click to play them in wmp on lap mtop it gets a bit confused and says location not found. I can however play the files if I go into network folders and then right clcik and choose play with wmp. the desktop filkes then play on lap top.