Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jpphipps
Topic Author

How Can I Open Up My M1001 Soundbridge?

Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:55 pm

I picked up a used M1001; When I turned it on, the "ROKU Soundbridge" slides into view, followed by the message "Connected to internal flash library" followed by some Roku ads and a small library of songs which can be accessed with the remote. Apparently this is a Roku demo unit; the WiFi card has been removed and replaced by a flash memory card. When connected to an Ethernet router, I can access Radioroku favorites and some generic presets. "Configuration" says the WiFi port is disabled.

OK, so now come a few questions: How do I open up the M1001 case to access where the WiFi card is located? I can pop both end caps off, but haven't tried to proceed further. Are WiFi cards available? I haven't seen any disassembly directions anywhere in the Forums, but apparently it can be done - M1001 units can be repaired. Is the WiFi card for the M1000 a plug-in replacement for the M1001?

Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.
3 SoundBridges, 1 SoundBridge Radio - Phoenix, AZ
3 SoundBridges - Netarts, OR

Burkhardi

Re: How Can I Open Up My M1001 Soundbridge?

Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:27 pm

Do me a favor, take your M1001 and with the power supply (aka wall-wart) unpluged from the AC power, plug an ethernet cable from your router or what have you (it has to me from a router or modem that is on and working) into the ethernet jack on the back of the M1001 and then plug the M1001 back into the wall.

Let me know what you get and we can go from there, Matt

P.S.
The M1001 has no Wi-Fi card; and if it did, you could not use the one from the M1000 since it is in a CF form factor and there is no CF slot on the M1001.

jpphipps wrote:
I picked up a used M1001; When I turned it on, the "ROKU Soundbridge" slides into view, followed by the message "Connected to internal flash library" followed by some Roku ads and a small library of songs which can be accessed with the remote. Apparently this is a Roku demo unit; the WiFi card has been removed and replaced by a flash memory card. When connected to an Ethernet router, I can access Radioroku favorites and some generic presets. "Configuration" says the WiFi port is disabled.

OK, so now come a few questions: How do I open up the M1001 case to access where the WiFi card is located? I can pop both end caps off, but haven't tried to proceed further. Are WiFi cards available? I haven't seen any disassembly directions anywhere in the Forums, but apparently it can be done - M1001 units can be repaired. Is the WiFi card for the M1000 a plug-in replacement for the M1001?

Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

jpphipps
Topic Author

Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:56 pm

I've done that; when I get into Set-Up, the SB screen says that "WiFi is disabled." So I go to Ethernet; the screen says something like "Ethernet is normal, and is connected to an active network." An iMac is also connected to the router (a Linksys BEFW11S4); the new SB can access the playlists stored on this iMac. With Ethernet active, I can also access Internet Stations, with the SB playing My Favorites just like my other SB. BTW, This unit has the M1001 label on its back, "solid" endcaps, and the "M1000" beginning directly below the "S" in soundbridge on the front.

What else should I do? What does "Flash Memory Library" mean? Could it be part of the buffering? If so, can I dump it and restore WiFi?

Burkhardi

Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:30 pm

And you had the unit totaly unplugged from the wall when you plugged in the ethernet cable AND THEN you appled power?

Try to restore it to factory default and try again. You have a demo unit, once you go through the setup, it should be back in normal mode unless you do factory reset again. Have you tried to update the firmware when your connected via eithernet?

Perhaps try Safemode and flash the firmware there?

In closing, it shoud be as simple as having no power supplied to the unit (not off, but totaly unpluged from the wall) and then plug in a live etherent cable, apply power and go through setup.

Regards, Matt

Also, for what it's worth, the Linksys BEFW11S4 does not play will with the Soundbridge units, it's not your issue now, but it may casue issues if you get the unit working (consant rebuffering via Wi-Fi). I know for sure the M1000, M500 and M2000 can;t work worth a hoot with that router, but perhaps the Wi-Fi data stack is different on the M1001, but I doubt it.

P.S. the early M1001's did say M1000 on the front bezzle, but would say M1001 on the back of the unit on the sticker and on the VFD when it first boots up.

jpphipps wrote:
I've done that; when I get into Set-Up, the SB screen says that "WiFi is disabled." So I go to Ethernet; the screen says something like "Ethernet is normal, and is connected to an active network." An iMac is also connected to the router (a Linksys BEFW11S4); the new SB can access the playlists stored on this iMac. With Ethernet active, I can also access Internet Stations, with the SB playing My Favorites just like my other SB. BTW, This unit has the M1001 label on its back, "solid" endcaps, and the "M1000" beginning directly below the "S" in soundbridge on the front.

What else should I do? What does "Flash Memory Library" mean? Could it be part of the buffering? If so, can I dump it and restore WiFi?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

jpphipps
Topic Author

Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:46 pm

Oh. Oh! OH!!!!!! What I hadn't done was shut down the SB, disconnect the Ethernet cable, and start it up again! I've just done that and all seems normal - apparently WiFi is up and running, the Ethernet cable is stowed away, and all seems normal.

I've heard the BEFW11S4 doesn't work too well; I meant to bring a WRT54G up here to Oregon but forgot it (Am in early 80's and memory is furtive.......). Will write a note next time we're in Phoenix. Meanwhile, the B.........4 seems to work well enough for now.

I gotta go back now and set up Presets. Many thanks for all your input!

John

Burkhardi

Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:56 pm

jpphipps wrote:
Oh. Oh! OH!!!!!! What I hadn't done was shut down the SB, disconnect the Ethernet cable, and start it up again! I've just done that and all seems normal - apparently WiFi is up and running, the Ethernet cable is stowed away, and all seems normal.

I've heard the BEFW11S4 doesn't work too well; I meant to bring a WRT54G up here to Oregon but forgot it (Am in early 80's and memory is furtive.......). Will write a note next time we're in Phoenix. Meanwhile, the B.........4 seems to work well enough for now.

I gotta go back now and set up Presets. Many thanks for all your input!

John

Your very welcome John!
Check your PM (Private Message) up top under the "Roku Forums" banner, you'll see "FAQ", Search" and one called You have X new messages".
Regards, Matt

ntpntpntp

Tue May 22, 2012 11:40 am

Sorry to raise an old thread from the dead, but it seems the most appropriate place:

I have just acquired a used M1001, it's in excellent condition and fully functional - however during transit some sort of small circular sticker seems to have come loose and appeared behind the display glass. It's the sort of thing one finds sometimes stuck to pcb assemblies or components etc.

Could some kind soul please post some instructions (or a link to) how to disassemble the unit so I can remove this annoying bit of paper? I don't want to wreck / scratch it whilst trying to figure it out.

Thanks in advance

Nick

jjaf

Wed May 23, 2012 11:43 pm

R1000, M400, M1001