Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Niteowl01
Topic Author

M500 frequently fails to connect to itunes

Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi,
I still have my wonderful m500 connected to my stereo and it has worked very well over the past few years.

Just over the past few weeks though I've been consistently getting failed to connect to server errors almost every time I turn it on. The only thing that seems to resolve this issue is closing and restarting itunes, which I have running all the time.

The m500 apparently sees itunes because it comes on with the option of play itunes library - as opposed to saying no libraries found. But then when you select that option, then it says no libraries found. Restarting the soundbridge does not fix this problem.

I suspect this may be an issue in itunes based on the above. I am running the most current version of itunes - 9.0.2.25. I've not had this problem in the past and nothing else has changed.

I use the m500 with itunes via wireless connection across an AT&T Uverse router.

Any ideas? Anyone still monitoring this forum?

Thanks !

jhanlon

Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:40 am

FWIW, I am having the exact same problem.
:evil:
Jim Hanlon

Niteowl01
Topic Author

Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:47 pm

Well, at least I know I'm not alone in this - that it's not something unique to my setup. Problem still occurring - no comment from Roku.

Niteowl01
Topic Author

Can I get a comment from a roku expert on this issue???

Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:53 am

Roku support - can you please give me any insight or suggestions for this issue? Its apparently not unique to me. I did not have this problem before and now its an everyday occurrence.

amdb7

Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:00 am

Also...if you're using security on your wireless network:

Since the M500 does not support WPA security, try it after making sure your router is set for the following:

WEP
ASCII mode
128-bit
13-character key
with "Open System" type of authentication, NOT "shared key".

jhanlon

Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:58 pm

@bregent & amdb7: I think that you have misunderstood the problem. If you read the OP's message, the problem is connecting to the iTunes library but it is not a network problem because the SB is visible on the network and the iTunes library is visible to the SB. I suspect that it is an iTunes problem because when you exit iTunes and then relaunch, the SB connects to the library as expected (until you disconnect the next time.)
Jim Hanlon

Niteowl01
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I am able to get to internet radio without any problems. I will check the router settings but suspect, as was mentioned, that the issue is somewhere in itunes as nothing else has changed in my configuration, hardware or software, router settings, etc. The SB had worked fine all this time and the only thing that changed was a small point upgrade to itunes.

I do appreciate the input and will make some further checks.

I'm not sure where I'd go if I gave up my SB - there are other devices out there that are somewhat similar but not as simple and clean a solution to access your itunes for your stereo. I have no understanding why they abandoned this in favor of the video streaming devices - it seems they could have easily kept the itunes access in the video devices.

For those of us who don't have their pc in the same room as our audio system and don't want to have to dock our ipods, SB was such a great fit.

oh well, i am just a simple consumer... what do i know... ;>)

amdb7

Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:54 am

I have an M1000 and several M1001s. I am also running iTunes 9.0.2.25. The M1000 hardware is supposed to be the same as the M500 except for the display.

I can connect to this version of iTunes from these either wired or wireless. My wireless is running WEP open system security as I mentioned in my earlier post, which I set up when I wanted my M1000 to connect wirelessly.

I would still suggest a few things:

1. Have you tried connecting the M500 via wired ethernet connection?
2. Is your iTunes server connected via ethernet to your router?

Do you still have the problem? If so, I would try:

1. Back up your iTunes library's content.
2. Uninstall iTunes 9.0.2.25.
3. Go to oldversion.com and download an older version of iTunes and install it: http://www.oldversion.com/iTunes.html
4. See if your M500 can access that version of iTunes.
5. If it runs and does enough for you, run with it. If not, re-upgrade to iTunes 9.