Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

markwill
Topic Author

Soundbridge, Zune Pass and Windows 7

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:23 pm

I've seen a few comments in this forum about an inability to play Zune Pass content on a Soundbridge from a Windows 7 machine. I am having the exact same issue - the music plays fine from the Windows 7 machine but the Soundbridge fails on the "acquiring license" step.

I accept, as someone else pointed out, that it's Windows 7 that has changed here, not the Roku. And I also assume that there are no plans to update the firmware for the Roku, even if the issue can be resolved technically in firmware.

But what I am interested to know is if anyone has EVER got this combination working (and hence whether it's worth my effort troubleshooting/researching further). If I can't fix this issue my two Soundbridges just became paperweights, which is a great shame.

Has anyone managed to play Zune Pass music on a Soundbridge from a Windows 7 machine?

Thanks.

Mark

markwill
Topic Author

Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:36 pm

By the way, I should add that all the appropriate sharing options in WMP are set to allow access to media. The Roku's show up as devices and are set to "Allow". I can also use the "Play On..." option on Windows 7 (which implies all the basic network plumbing is in place) but the Soundbridge fails with the error about acquiring the license. The music plays fine from the Windows 7 machine (so the Zune Pass is current).

Thanks.

Mark

johnthor

Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:02 pm

I tried this tonight (win7 + zune pass) and I am able to play zune drm content playing on the roku.

First I "authorized" the roku in the library sharing setup. Then I tried to play and I got the same "acquiring license" failure at first. I went back into WMP and ended up on some homegroup settings page and once I enabled music to be shared the roku started to work.

The only thing that won't work is "play to" using DRM content. It still gets stuck on the acquiring license. Non-DRM content seems to work fine though.

Overall I'm pretty pleased that this rather old device is still running like a champ!