Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bradbranan
Topic Author

Lossless and rebuffering

Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:03 pm

I would like to switch the format of my music library from AAC to Lossless. I want higher quality sound - duh. But I'm finding that the larger files are causing the Soundbridge to rebuffer fairly often - which isn't a worthwhile tradeoff.

Are the lossless files causing the rebuffering problem? If so, what might fix it?

Thanks for any help.

alanmc

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:30 am

Hi bradbranan, welcome to the SoundBridge forums -

To obtain advice, I feel you need to provide comprehensive details of your complete network - and state where and how your library is stored.

46jimbo

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:07 am

I've had the rebuffering problem while trying to play flac files. I assume that there are just too many bits of information to transfer.

S80_UK

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 am

For the SoundBridge FLAC is transcoded to WAV by the server (typically Firefly). So the data rate transfered is 1.4Mbits/sec. This is well within the capabilities of the hardware but is a much higher rate than you would see using MP3 files, for example.

However, if the WiFi connection is operating on the margins of acceptable signal strength then trying to transfer this many bits may in some cases give rise to increased rebuffering. Solutions include, relocating SoundBridge and/or router; or use a wireless bridge device (which will likely have better WiFi performance than the SoundBridge); or use power-line networking; etc. I regularly stream 1.4Mbits (and even 1.5Mbits) to my SoundBridges without problems using the built-in WiFi, so it is definitely possible.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i