Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jsryork
Topic Author

SB and NAS server - browse composer

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:42 am

Hi

I have just got a SB M1001 from eBay, and have it working fine, playing Internet Radio off the router, and .WAV files ripped from vinyl and CD from a PC, using Firefly or Jamcast.

I want to move to having the ripped files on an NAS drive. About half the music is classical, mostly chamber music. For this I really want a 'browse composer' option. I am not sure which element in the system provides this function - if it is the server, do all NAS boxes provide this, or only a selection.

Forgive me if this question is poorly posed or off-topic; I am still quite confused about the relationship of DLNA, uPnP, and the Roku protocol.

Thanks

John

46jimbo

Re: SB and NAS server - browse composer

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:25 am

The Roku uses the ID tag on each music file for organizing purposes - Title, Artist, Album, Composer, etc. An excellent free program for this is Mp3Tag found here:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

It handles various types of audio files. But I don't see WAV mentioned! (Perhaps you cannot put tags on a WAV file?) In this case, converting your music to a lossless format such as FLAC might do the trick for you.

S80_UK

Re: SB and NAS server - browse composer

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:51 pm

46jimbo wrote:
The Roku uses the ID tag on each music file for organizing purposes - Title, Artist, Album, Composer, etc.

Actually, strictly speaking, that's not quite right. It is the server which is used (Itunes, Firefly, whatever) which accesses the tags in the files. The SoundBridge allows searches based on the information provided by the server (it does not know where the strings come from) and when a file is being played the title and artist etc. again comes from the server and is not extracted by the SoundBridge from the tags in the file.

The choices offered when browsing are also often a function of the server, although the SoundBridge has its own search criteria as well which are supported by FireFly and this does include a Browse Composer option separately from Browse Artist.

Tags in WAV files are possible but are not that widely supported. If the quality of the WAV files is desirable, then it would be better to use a lossless format such as FLAC or Apple Lossless instead. Note that the SoundBridge does not support FLAC natively, and so this can only be used if the server application which is being used can transcode the FLAC to WAV for streaming. Firefly supports transcoding under WIndows and Linux, for example. Apple Lossless is supported natively by the SoundBridge with the 3.0.xx series firmwares.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i