Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

longbch
Topic Author

Why won't M1000 play stations that my M1001 will?

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Hello,

I have an M1000 and an M1001, both with firmware 3.0.44. While searching for Christmas stations, we noticed that that M1000 wouldn't play any of them. The M1000 also can't play other stations like WLW and WKNC (.m3u). It just keeps re-trying the stations. But, the M1001 plays all of these stations just fine.

Anybody know of a reason why? Do both of these boxes support the same formats?

I can play MP3 and WMA stations like KEXP (.pls) just fine, so the M1000 is working.

I moved the M1000 right under the wifi router, so signal strength isn't the problem. Also, the M1001 was moved out to where the M1000 used to be, and it is still working fine.

Thanks to all of you who are keeping the SoundBridges working!

Kelly

longbch
Topic Author

Re: Why won't M1000 play stations that my M1001 will?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:05 am

I just found this post where someone had the same problem with their M2000.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30395

I tried the .977 The 90s Channel as outlined in the post and found that I could not listen to the first station (MP3), but the second station works (WMA).

Does anybody know the fix for this hardware glitch?

Thanks,
Kelly

FrankB

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:21 am

Hi Kelly,

For whatever reason, RadioRoku does not like some mac addresses used by certain M500/M1000/M2000s. There's nothing you can do about it but there is a work around.

If you go to RadioRoku and under station detail, show the linked URLs, you can put this URL into the M1000s presets manually and then it will play them. Open a web browser to the M1000s IP address and go to the presets tab. This is not ideal at all but will work.

Frank
Last edited by FrankB on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

longbch
Topic Author

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the reply. It gave me something to try.

I unplugged the CF wifi card from the M1000 and plugged in a CAT5 cable from the router. This changed the MAC address, but didn't fix the problem :( I was able to receive the same stuff, but not other stations like I want unless I added them as presets.

I will probably move on to a Grace or Logitech radio for my desk radio because I do lots of searching. Since we moved the M1001 to my wife's office, she can now listen to her choice of stations while working :)

These are great radios and I hate to leave for something else. But, I've lived through times were the Roku servers were down and had to use presets. The web site now has a problem when using DHCP internet addresses - it keeps forgetting my Roku's address. I manually set the IP address in both of the radios and that helped.

BTW, we had the Roku box for TV since they came out, and we love using that. Too bad Roku decided to support only that and drop their support for the radios. I saw a Sony box at Costco this weekend that does the same thing as the Roku TV box, so I think they are going to get some real competition real soon.

I like the web control for the Roku radios and will be getting a radio that at least has an iPod control app like the Grace radios. We have a Grace IR2000 in the kitchen and are real pleased with it. The iPod app wasn't very good when it was first released, but after a few updates, it's first rate.

I see that the Squeezebox radios also have an iPod app, and I like how the RadioTime data can be searched. So, I'm also considering a Squeezebox Boom or the portable Squeezbox, we'll see.

If anybody else has any ideas about how to get the M1000 working with the database, I'll give it a try. Otherwise, I'll probably be giving this to somebody in my radio club who can use it.

Thanks again,
Kelly

FrankB

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:27 am

longbch wrote:
I unplugged the CF wifi card from the M1000 and plugged in a CAT5 cable from the router. This changed the MAC address, but didn't fix the problem :( I was able to receive the same stuff, but not other stations like I want unless I added them as presets.

I see that the Squeezebox radios also have an iPod app, and I like how the RadioTime data can be searched.

If anybody else has any ideas about how to get the M1000 working with the database, I'll give it a try. Otherwise, I'll probably be giving this to somebody in my radio club who can use it.

Ah, good try but the Soundbridge only sends it's wired mac address to RadioRoku whether it's using wired or wireless on the network.

The only other option I can think of would be to swap your Soundbridge motherboard. Matt Burkhard, email <burkhardi@hotmail.com> or PM via this forum if you are interested.

So I recently wrote an application for my Nokia N900 to access RadioTime. It occurred to me that it might be possible to create a UPnP server that served up RadioTime streams and allowed browsing. Maybe handle presets via a web interface. Searching would be limited.

Frank

longbch
Topic Author

Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks Frank! I'm contacting Matt via email. We'll see if he has another motherboard that I could try.

jjaf

Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 am

Frank

Does this problem mean that users of these units are also unable to use the Soundbridge to search/browse stations and save them as presets?
R1000, M400, M1001

FrankB

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:15 am

jjaf wrote:
Does this problem mean that users of these units are also unable to use the Soundbridge to search/browse stations and save them as presets?

As far as I know, the only problem occurs when trying to play a station. And only some stations, not all. So while you should be able to search/browse, and save as a preset, when you go to play the saved preset, you are in the same situation. RadioRoku will not give your particular unit the stream URL. But if you plug the URL into a preset via the Soundbridge web page, it will play it just fine.

It's worrying that the problem happens on the Christmas stations as I think close to all of them are new this month. I hope it's not the case that all new stations will be unavailable to the affected Soundbridges.

Frank

jjaf

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:32 am

When the RadioRoku site was down for an extended time recently (or was it last year now?), those of us with presets saved with the RR station number (i.e. saved as a preset from the website or unit, not a manual url) could continue to connect to those stations. Perhaps it is only for those stations where the main url, saved in the preset, is no longer available and the unit is looking for the alternative streams, that this problem occurs?
R1000, M400, M1001

dupondt

Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:28 pm

jjaf wrote:
Perhaps it is only for those stations where the main url, saved in the preset, is no longer available and the unit is looking for the alternative streams, that this problem occurs?

No, it's a hardware issue of certain SoundBridges. At least that's what tests performed by Burkhardi and myself indicated.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

FrankB

Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:31 am

dupondt wrote:
jjaf wrote:
Perhaps it is only for those stations where the main url, saved in the preset, is no longer available and the unit is looking for the alternative streams, that this problem occurs?

No, it's a hardware issue of certain SoundBridges. At least that's what tests performed by Burkhardi and myself indicated.

Sort of. The issue lies in RadioRoku. The only hardware issue of the Soundbridge is that it happens to use a particular mac address during it's queries to RadioRoku. When RadioRoku was half broke earlier this year, it lost it's ability to query mac addresses, in a sense putting all Soundbridges on equal footing, or having the same mac address. That's why the affected units started working.

If you go to http://www.radioroku.com/services/get_s ... x:xx:xx:xx from any web browser and use the wired mac address of an affected unit, you will get no URL to stream. Adjusting the mac address will allow you get a URL once you get to one RadioRoku approves of.

When the motherboard is replaced on a Soundbridge, that changes the wired mac address. That's why it appears to be a hardware issue but in reality is nothing of the sort.

Frank

dupondt

Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:09 am

FrankB wrote:
Adjusting the mac address will allow you get a URL once you get to one RadioRoku approves of.

Then Roku could have easily fixed the issue by modifying the firmware so that the MAC address would no longer have been part of the query. http://www.radioroku.com/services/get_station.php?Id=39415&lang=eng&loc=US works perfectly.

As an alternative an affected user could change his SoundBridge's MAC address. Unfortunately Roku's support doesn't seem to hand out new Unique Identifiers any more.

Greetings
dupondt

FrankB

Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:46 am

dupondt wrote:
As an alternative an affected user could change his SoundBridge's MAC address. Unfortunately Roku's support doesn't seem to hand out new Unique Identifiers any more.

And this may have been what lead to the RadioRoku crash earlier this year. Or at least the timing was very close where a uniqueid was issued for a problem mac address. In reality, again, a unique id change is a RadioRoku side change, the Soundbridge will still use it's mac address during queries.

Derek can correct me if I'm wrong but I think he can hand out Unique Identifiers to those that need them.

Frank

jjaf

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:28 am

I can run that query url with any nonsense in the mac parameter and it still returns the radio string. What is it about the older models that make the query not work? Perhaps they are not running the latest firmware.
R1000, M400, M1001

dupondt

Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:29 am

FrankB wrote:
In reality, again, a unique id change is a RadioRoku side change, the Soundbridge will still use it's mac address during queries.

Sorry to disagree, but that's not the case. If I change the Unique Identifier with the corresponding (undocumented) RCP command the SoundBridge uses this new Unique Identifier when sending queries to Radio Roku.

Greetings
dupondt