Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

riyatch
Topic Author

soundbridge set up question

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:26 pm

i was looking to add a soundbridge along with my current photobridge.
im wondering though, if the soundbridge could be hooked up to my network and access all my music files from my external network hard drive. i do not have a desktop computer that i leave on all the time and the photobridge allows me to access all my media files off the external hard drive without the need for a computer to be on. does the soundbridge have this same capability???

na9d

Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:36 pm

The SoundBridge needs some sort of media server to function properly. It can't just pull music files off a network drive unless that network drive is some sort of music server as well.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I'm 99% sure this is the case.

Jon

RokuMike

Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:40 pm

The answer is "maybe". The SoundBridge does not have the ability to directly browse a network drive.

You need to do one of two things:

1) Use a NAS device (network hard drive) that is able to run a music server. There are several available, and if you search this forum for "NAS" you should find lots of info.

2) You can actually run a music server called mt-daapd on the PhotoBridge to serve the music from your hard drive to the SoundBrige. Do a search in the PhotoBridge forum. I believe this requires the 2.0 beta PhotoBridge software.

riyatch
Topic Author

Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:58 pm

thanks for the replies

it kinda sounds complicated and beyond my ability. im really would like to find a way to stream my music to a different area of the house though.