Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

MacAl
Topic Author

Squeezebox Joins SoundBridge

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Like the Roku SoundBridge, now the Logitech Squeezebox is being discontinued. Go to <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57519226-221/logitech-leaves-squeezebox-fans-wondering-whats-next/>. I always considered the Roku software to be superior to the Squeezebox, but that no longer seems relevant. Is there no market for this type of product?

jjaf

Re: Squeezebox Joins SoundBridge

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:39 am

These single purpose devices are no longer compelling compared to the multi function capabilities and value of iOS/Android devices and music is no longer appreciated as an art form. Digital compact cameras are in the same position.
R1000, M400, M1001

46jimbo

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:52 pm

I too have been baffled by the lack of popularity of these devices. Most people have never heard of them, so there is a problem in the marketing. When I bought mine many years ago at BestBuy, the sales person really didn't know what the heck it was. (I had read about it on the net.) Yet I have introduced the Roku to many of my friends and they all have come to treasure them.

I often peruse Craigslist and Kijiji for Soundbridges, and I now have a couple in reserve in case mine dies on me. They go for around $50 to $75 where I live. But the Soundbridge is pretty solid (with the exception of the power adapter) and mine just keeps on going.

My biggest fear is that the radio database will be shut down. This will effectively destroy half of the Soundbridge's usefulness. My hope is that the success the company is having with video streaming devices will keep the company alive for a long time.

I had thought about the Squeezebox as an alternative. But it to relies on a company-run database too.

I have tested a solution that works well in case we are all stranded. I have a cheap $100 Chinese noname android tablet, and using an app called Tunein Radio, you have an up to date internet radio solution. I just plug a cord from the headphone jack into my stereo system, and voilà! Any tablet, android or Apple, will work. There are also apps for streaming content from your computer.

DJans

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 am

46jimbo wrote:
My biggest fear is that the radio database will be shut down. This will effectively destroy half of the Soundbridge's usefulness. My hope is that the success the company is having with video streaming devices will keep the company alive for a long time.

46jimbo, I agree in 100% all you wrote. I have also some Soundbridges as "spares". Moreover, I have not seen a device for me as comfortabele as the Soundbridge because of the UPNP uspport and the radio database. And I also feel the biggest fear in the case the radio database dies... BTW: Who is administrating the database?

dupondt

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:15 am

46jimbo wrote:
My biggest fear is that the radio database will be shut down. This will effectively destroy half of the Soundbridge's usefulness.

Fortunately the SoundBridge is not depending on Radio Roku to play internet radio. For further detail please see this "Sticky".

DJans wrote:
Who is administrating the database?

At the moment it's forum user FrankB. However, as there are no active volunteers IMO he's fighting a losing battle because he's completely on his own.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

DJans

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:10 am

dupondt wrote:
46jimbo wrote:
My biggest fear is that the radio database will be shut down. This will effectively destroy half of the Soundbridge's usefulness.

Fortunately the SoundBridge is not depending on Radio Roku to play internet radio. For further detail please see this "Sticky".

I know that and I have filled the presets on my Soundbridges for the case RadioRoku is down for a night or so like it happens occasionally in the past.

But RadioRoku is very comfortable: We have 9 Soundbridges (2 x M2000, 2 x M1000, 5 x R1000) running here at home and e.g. if my children add a new station to the favourite list it is available everywhere. And I have no Windows PC running 24/7 to use Flexbridgeradio.