I have just connected a Buffalo Terastation Home-Server (HS-D1.0TGL/R5) DLNA compliant NAS with the Roku Soundbridge M1001)
Both were brand new devices, so I was very much hoping they would work together, but also completely in the dark with regards to getting them to work together!
First job, I installed the home-server, connected to the PC no problem. Set up a shared directory to store media files and began copying music files from the PC to the shared directory.
Configued the music server via the web-interface to point to my new media directory and enabled the music server.
Connected up the Soundbridge to my Hi-Fi and wired ethernet to my Router (Netgear DG834PNB if it matters to anyone!).
Powered on and no music server was found. Could stream internet radio no problem with no setup!
Tried to upgrade the FW, hoping that would make my server visible, but current FW was the latest version.
Enabled the MAC address on the Roku beta page to download the latest beta FW, and selected the upgrade option again, download of FW 2.5.150 started.
While download was in progress, I had a play with the media server settings and realised it was configured to restrict connected devices by MAC address. Soundbridge was shown in the list of available devices, so I added it to the permitted list.
Soundbridge FW download completed and device re-booted, media server appeared at the top of the list. I was able to connect and quickly tested browsing by artist and was able to play music!
I guess, the problem was the access control from the server and not the FW version!
Powered off, and removed the wired ethernet to start wireless connection. My wireless LAN uses a hidden SSID and I did have WPA encrytion enabled (@Roku - Can we have WPA please???).
Entered my SSID (in lower case as this was the default case and I didn't realise uppercase was available) and then the 128-bit WEP key (Hex). The system rebooted and the connection failed.
Worked out that you could enter upper-case characters for the SSID and re-entered the data, this time after re-start the connection was successfull, although no media server!
Checked my router device list and saw the Soundbridge now has a different MAC address (@Roku - Why a different MAC for wireless?). Added the new MAC address to the media server permitted list and re-booted the soundbridge. Media server appeared and I was able to browse and play music
Initial playing around, seems to work quite well. Pressing the search button on the remote tells me "This server does not support search"! Otherwise browsing seemed to work fine, browsing by artist, genre, album or folder. "All Music" also worked after downloading all track titles - about 30 seconds or so to download 5000+ tracks.
"Apps and services" and "Playlists" resulted with none available - still some playing around needed I think
Total time to set everything up (including the NAS and media server) was around 2 1/5 hours! I am quite tech savvy and had a brief browse of both product manuals (on-line) while waiting for delivery, but generally I would say the setup of both NAS and Soundbridge was very simple and shouldn't cause too much problem for anyone - particularly if they read my post
Now its time to power of my PC and listen to 40GB music with no backround hum from my PC