Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Andrew Pratt

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:01 pm

I picked up a NSLU2 last week and managed to get mt-daapd installed and serving up my MP3 collection but I need playlists working as that's how we mostly use the Soundbridge and the speed isn't as fast as I'd like so I'm considering selling it and just going back to plugging the external USB drive into my PC again. Anyone want a Slug that's more or less ready to go?

cineman

Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:45 am

@Andrew Pratt

I don't experience much slowdown on my NSLU2 & mt-daapd. With approx 3000 mp3s, "Browse" is still sub-second whilst playlist access is instantaneous.
Dynamic and static playlists both can be used fairly easily.

I mainly use static playlists and then set them to shuffle on the SB. This works for me.

My mp3 directory tree is almost non-existent; other than a few subfolders, all my mp3s are in the root directory (I don't care for subfolders by artist etc since all my mp3s are named based on %Artist - %Track - %Title.mp3). I don't know if this is good or bad but the speeds are almost identical to my 3.0ghz desktop PC.

Andrew Pratt

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:37 am

I wonder if its the folders that slow it down then since mine are all in folders at the moment.

cineman

Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:52 pm

Hmmm... could be.
I'm sure someone else must have come across this before. Anyone confirm?

Worth a try anyway I would have thought.
Good luck. :wink:

Dave.B

Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:24 am

g0pkh wrote:
I actually found the nightly easier to install as I couldn't find an ipk file of the stable version

Dave.B

How do you install the nightly versions ?
I simply ran ipkg install mt-daapd, and it did it all for me.

Can you simply overwrite that with the modified nightly executable ?

Presumably you download the compacted binaries. What do you do with them then ? What extraction program do you use on the NSLU2 ?

Regards

Pete

Pete, I did the same as you did: ipkg install mt-daapd, and it did the job. However, I have no idea what was going on to be honest, just blindly following instructions. I gather from my futile attempts at installing nano, that installing a newer version of mt-daapd is as simple as re-running ipkg install mt-daapd.

I have another question:
For anyone using two HDDs on their slug: how does that work? My config file points the server at the "mp3" folder on Disk 1. Is it possible to have one library spanned over both disks?

Oh, and my music files (7476 ripped so far out of a total of over 14000) are all in folders and sub-folders. I haven't tried the no folders approach, but I can say that mt-daapd is noticeably faster than WMC2 was.

And I've found the dynamic playlists to be very useful indeed.

BMWhere?

M1001 Soundbridge & Buffalo Terastation Home-Server

Tue May 02, 2006 2:32 pm

I have just connected a Buffalo Terastation Home-Server (HS-D1.0TGL/R5) DLNA compliant NAS with the Roku Soundbridge M1001)

Both were brand new devices, so I was very much hoping they would work together, but also completely in the dark with regards to getting them to work together!

First job, I installed the home-server, connected to the PC no problem. Set up a shared directory to store media files and began copying music files from the PC to the shared directory.

Configued the music server via the web-interface to point to my new media directory and enabled the music server.

Connected up the Soundbridge to my Hi-Fi and wired ethernet to my Router (Netgear DG834PNB if it matters to anyone!).

Powered on and no music server was found. Could stream internet radio no problem with no setup!

Tried to upgrade the FW, hoping that would make my server visible, but current FW was the latest version.

Enabled the MAC address on the Roku beta page to download the latest beta FW, and selected the upgrade option again, download of FW 2.5.150 started.

While download was in progress, I had a play with the media server settings and realised it was configured to restrict connected devices by MAC address. Soundbridge was shown in the list of available devices, so I added it to the permitted list.

Soundbridge FW download completed and device re-booted, media server appeared at the top of the list. I was able to connect and quickly tested browsing by artist and was able to play music! :) I guess, the problem was the access control from the server and not the FW version!

Powered off, and removed the wired ethernet to start wireless connection. My wireless LAN uses a hidden SSID and I did have WPA encrytion enabled (@Roku - Can we have WPA please???).

Entered my SSID (in lower case as this was the default case and I didn't realise uppercase was available) and then the 128-bit WEP key (Hex). The system rebooted and the connection failed. :(

Worked out that you could enter upper-case characters for the SSID and re-entered the data, this time after re-start the connection was successfull, although no media server!

Checked my router device list and saw the Soundbridge now has a different MAC address (@Roku - Why a different MAC for wireless?). Added the new MAC address to the media server permitted list and re-booted the soundbridge. Media server appeared and I was able to browse and play music :D

Initial playing around, seems to work quite well. Pressing the search button on the remote tells me "This server does not support search"! Otherwise browsing seemed to work fine, browsing by artist, genre, album or folder. "All Music" also worked after downloading all track titles - about 30 seconds or so to download 5000+ tracks.

"Apps and services" and "Playlists" resulted with none available - still some playing around needed I think ;)

Total time to set everything up (including the NAS and media server) was around 2 1/5 hours! I am quite tech savvy and had a brief browse of both product manuals (on-line) while waiting for delivery, but generally I would say the setup of both NAS and Soundbridge was very simple and shouldn't cause too much problem for anyone - particularly if they read my post ;)

Now its time to power of my PC and listen to 40GB music with no backround hum from my PC :)

netrev

why not serve up file shares/nas?

Thu May 04, 2006 10:37 pm

How about a roku soundbridge model that has an embedded music server that can serve up content from file shares/nas devices. That way customers won't have to hack the nas/storage devices to run music servers.

Also, it sounds like the maxtor product has a music server out of the box - can I get a model #?

Feature Request
How about a USB plugin on the front or side of the soundbridge or photobridge for that matter.

mbecker

iomega netstore (dual drive)

Tue May 09, 2006 4:49 pm

i have an iomega netstore dual drive version. comes with upnp. works fine...do not need much to get it going...

as roku states, WMC is better: the iomega upnp server can be slow, and it does not have all the features of WMC such as searching, etc.

basically i have both working, and will choose the iomega uPNP if my computer happens to be turned off...

mmcinnis2

Tue May 09, 2006 6:34 pm

I am using an NSLU2 with Unslung and mt-daapd. Works great with MP3s, but I am anxiously awaiting a lossless solution.

I have an M1001 and an M2000, excellent devices!

JR

Maxtor the only solution?

Fri May 12, 2006 10:10 am

I'm currently trying to work with a Linksys WRTSL54GS router (and USB attached hard drive) and a Sound Bridge 500, but with little succes (detailed in another thread). I'm considering returning the Linksys unit.

I would like to have the SB pull from a hard drive rather than an active PC. For right now, I'd prefer not to "hack" the firmware on a drive and add different server software.

So, in reviewing these threads, is Maxtor's Shared Storage the only successful "hardware" solution to streaming from a networked hard drive without modifying firmware?

peter_b

Wed May 17, 2006 7:11 am

Using (two) NSLU2 devices hacked with unslung 5.x and mt-daapd. Both NSLU2s have the hardware mod to double the clock speed. Both work really well with two M1000 devices.

Dave.B

Wed May 17, 2006 7:35 am

Peter, I've read about that hardware mod. I've even gone as far as to take the thing apart and ID the resistor in question, but I can't bring myself to remove it. :shock:

Is the increase in performance noticeable? And if yes, is it worth it?

peter_b

Wed May 17, 2006 7:45 am

It isnt difficult to do - I unsoldered the thing, but it is probably just as easy (and safer!) to crush it with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Is it worth it? Diffiult to say! Probably! Is there a noticeable increase in performance? Again hard to say as I did it fairly early on (there seemed no reason not to do it) and as I was trying to run apache2 and MySql on it for az content managed web server, any increase in performance was worth trying! (It worked, but was painfully slow - it was Myssql that really hit it - it works fine as an apache web server)

So bottom line is - yes, I think it is worth doing (it isn't worth not doing - I haven't noticed an adverse effects by doing it)) and yes, there will be a performance improvement, but by how much I can't say. The only (unanswered) question is - "Why did Linksys put it there in the first place (if it wasn't required)? :? Possibly because there were issues with early firmware or perhaps some of the processors were iffy at the rated clock speed - but as it is an undocumented processor configuration, that doesn't really make sense. :)

All I can say is that it isn't difficult and it seems to work!

Dave.B

Wed May 17, 2006 8:15 am

Peter,
Thanks for the advice. I still can't make up my mind though! Trouble is, it's fast enough (for me) as it is, so I'm aplying the old maxim: "if it ain't broke, don't bugger around with it!".

I'll think about for a while longer.
Cheers

hpsenicka

Mon May 22, 2006 1:57 pm

...another satisfied NSLU2 and mt-daapd user here!

I have a 300Gb drive attached to the NSLU2, and have not modified "the Slug" to overclock it..yet.

Performance seems good ... even transcoding FLAC files.. although my music folder is still relatively small.

I have been almost exclusively using a wired link, rather than wireless... did initially encounter some issues with high-bitrate content. Using a wired network connection seems to resolve that completely.