Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dupondt

Re: Using a NAS or networked hard drive? Tell us about it.

Mon May 12, 2008 11:42 am

baeumel wrote:
Do you need running your PC to stream the music or do you "install" some server to the FritzBox?

Patrick,

no need to have the PC running or install software. FritzBox 7270 and FritzBox 7170 (with firmware version 29.04.49 or higher) have a UPnP server built-in called "Fritz!Musikbox" which can share music files stored on a HDD attached to the FritzBox's USB connector.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

droletbe

Re: One problem with NAS

Mon May 12, 2008 9:55 pm

S80_UK wrote:
droletbe wrote:
Conclusion: My next NAS (because I still need one for backup) will be a model with 2 disks and RAID 1

In my view this is a dangerous strategy. As soon as the controller develops a fault you have lost all your data, even if on two disks. RAID is never a safe substitute for backup.

I agree that real backups need to be done. But if the controller fails, the Hard Disks can be taken out and connected directly to a PC. The controller formats in EXT3 but drivers exist to be able to read EXT3 directly from Windows.

S80_UK

Tue May 13, 2008 12:59 am

droletbe wrote:
I agree that real backups need to be done. But if the controller fails, the Hard Disks can be taken out and connected directly to a PC. The controller formats in EXT3 but drivers exist to be able to read EXT3 directly from Windows.

You are right - some NAS boxes will allow this. But some use non-standard drive interfaces or formats. If you make separate backups then there's no problem.

I just wanted to make the point, since many users seem to regard RAID as secure and use RAID systems instead of taking real backups. It should always be kept in mind that RAID mirrors can make duplicate copies of corrupt data quicker than just about anything. RAID 5 setups can make impending drive failures harder to detect due to their error correction, and then when things do go wrong with more than one drive, or with the controller, or power supply, they can do so leaving the user with no data at all.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

droletbe

Tue May 13, 2008 1:13 pm

S80_UK wrote:
droletbe wrote:
... The controller formats in EXT3 but drivers exist to be able to read EXT3 directly from Windows.

You are right - some NAS boxes will allow this. But some use non-standard drive interfaces or formats. If you make separate backups then there's no problem.

I just wanted to make the point, since many users seem to regard RAID as secure and use RAID systems instead of taking real backups. It should always be kept in mind that RAID mirrors can make duplicate copies of corrupt data quicker than just about anything...

I havent tought about that... if the controller goes frantic, an error could be replicated on both disks... :shock:

So the solution will be to have a NAS with RAID 1, and an incremental backup on DVD on a regular basis for important stuff... :idea:

SLam_to

NS4300N problems

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi,

I'm also trying to use my SoundBridge with the Promise Tech NS4300N and their iTunes server plugin. Only with partial sucess.

It seems that the SoundBridge can only play MP3 files served by the NS4300N's iTunes plug-in. If I try playing any AAC files (unprotected of course), the SoundBridge responds that it cannot play the file (as other people have reported). My computers in the house have no issues playing the NS4300's itunes library (MP3 and AAC files).

Is there any diagnostic I can run on the SoundBridge to see why the SoundBridge cannot play it? Is it possible that the NS4300N is not serving the AAC files properly?

Thanks,
SLam

raddude

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:39 am

I don't even understand the plug-in model/architecture. It's not correct to call it an "NS4300N iTunes plug-in", because the plug-in is applied to a Windows iTunes server, not the NAS Server. All it seems to do is to make the NAS visible as storage within the Windows iTunes UI. So the question is - is the Windows server still in the data path for the iTunes content? Does the Windows iTunes server have to be up at the time the content is served? Or is the plug-in merely an optional administrative feature of some sort, with the NS4300N still serving the content directly and independently? Do you have to use the iTunes UI to "import" the music?

Did you import your music via the iTunes UI, or did you just drop it into a directory? Did you install the iTunes software and plug-in on a Windows server? Was that server up at the time you tried to access the content?

Perhaps the UI creates some infrastructure (e.g. index files, etc) that's necessary to access content in subfolders.

Mon1018

Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:46 am

Hello!
I havent tought about that... if the controller goes frantic.
I got the information!!
Excellent information.Many thanks! 8)

tiger_in_houston

Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 am

I'm running a Netgear/Infrant ReadyNAS NV+, and it's running FireFly as its Music server.

Seems to work fine.

rocky8800

Discussion of Digital Media

Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:25 pm

Stage set up is easy but might restrain some founders. It would be cracking if a company like rock music could productize unappreciated and mt-daapd into something favorable for new users.

prophet464

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:21 am

Ok, I like to think I am technical, but normally end up mucking it up. I have a Soundbridge which is connected wirelessly. I want a NAS which has RAID1 and will allow me to play my iTunes library. It would be nice to have search functions.

I currently have firefly running on the PC, but want to turn my PC off. I can then connect a NAS to my router.

I know nothing about Linux and don't fancy trying scripting. From what I've read here, I think I will be okay with either a Linkstation Live or a D-Link DNS-323. Can anyone confirm this? Is either any easier / better?

Cheers,

Matt

alanmc

Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:59 am

Do also checkout http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=82

I have the single-HDD version, and it's well worth the premium price.

Cheers, Alan

prophet464

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:28 am

bregent wrote:
>
Do you really need RAID1?

As well as music I want to store and share all my photos with a couple of computers. I am the worlds worst at backing up. I know there has been a discussion in this thread about not relying on Raid for backups, but it should give me a bit more protection if I have a drive failure.

Cheers,

Matt

kastanie2409

Do not use an NAS!

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:44 am

I would like to share with you my experience with NAS devices and the streaming of mp3s:

Basically I am in the same situation as maybe thousands of other users as well:
a) I have a significant amount of mp3s on my computer, located not in the living room
b) I want to listen to these mp3s in the living room
c) I do not want to run a computer 7x24 hours because of electricity costs
d) I have good knowledge how to use Windows, but do not have a clue about Linux.

So what to do?
I bought a Roku Soundbridge 1001, which is a great DMA - superb sound quality via the optical cable, fast and reliable. It is connected via WLAN with the router at my computer. On the computer I am running iTunes 7, which works great with the Soundbridge.

So far, so good. Everything was fine, until I decided to switch from the computer to an NAS solution.

First I tried QNAP TS-101, because it has Twonky preinstalled. Soundbridge is said to work well with Twonky.
The NAS was not found at all by QNAP Finder in my local network. I run Windows XP and switched off all the firewalls as recommended by QNAP. Even after searching the Web, all kind of forums and spending lots of hours I was not able to find the QNAP NAS.
So I decided to send it back. Another finding: Running with a Seagate 500GB harddisk the QNAP got incredibly hot.

Second try: I ordered a Synology DS-106j, because I found some good comments on its built-in iTunes server and its communication with Soundbridge. I bought it in September 2008, it had the latest firmware installed. My Soundbridge had also the latest firmware installed.

I have a significant amount of mp3s (80GB) after ripping all of my CDs (some hundred).
The Synlogoy was found immediately, the admin software is very easy and intuitive. It took me not more than 15 minutes to set up the Disk Station, connect the cables, install the software and transferring the files. I was able to transfer my mp3 Files to the disk in the 'music' folder. It was not much slower than the transfer to a normal external USB HDD.

I switched on the iTunes server on the Synology DS-106j and went over to the living room:
Soundbridge was able to find the Synology Disk Station immediately. I tried it with 20-30 files on the HDD first and it worked fine. Soundbridge found the music and played it well.
Then I tried it again with all the files (80GB of data). The soundbridge was not able to find the artist names anymore (timeout?). I searched the web again and found out that this is a known problem: The built-in iTunes server is just too slow to handle a larger amount of files. Therefore I switched it off again and tried the built-in UPNP server. Here I had the same problem: The Synology DS-106j is found by the Soundbridge without any problems, but again just too slow to find the artists.
I decided to send it back again.

For sure, I will not try another NAS and just keep my laptop computer running. It may consume some more electrical power, but not much.

In theory, there would still be the option to install Twonky, Firefly or some other streaming software on the NAS. But first I have absolutely no Linux know-how and can see from the forums that this is again difficult and does have some pitfalls. Second, I will not destroy the warranty by installing another firmware, then find out that it still not works and not being able anymore to send it back due to the lost warranty.

BOTTOM LINE:
If you are in a similiar situation like me, do not take an NAS solution. Look for a cheap PC as a server which does not consume too much electricity. This is still a much better option.
NAS drives are still in the experimental phase when you want to stream music. Using a PC is much easier than the NAS systems and gives you much more flexibility. Especially I can recommend the combination of iTunes on the PC plus Soundbridge as a DMA in the living room!

alanmc

Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:41 am

Hi kastanie2409, welcome to the forums –

Having used several different NAS boxes for the last 3 years (three of which all failed within the warranty period) I decided to invest in a QNAP TS-109 complete with 500Gb Seagate drive . . . .

I have recently edited my music library, but I still find I have in excess of 320 Gb of MP3s on this NAS, which of course comes pre-installed with Twonky.
When operational this unit is totally silent and ‘barely warm’ to the touch – it’s powered on 24/7, goes to ‘sleep’ when not required, and I’ve owned it for approx 10 months without problems.

It is connected to a hard-wired network which has two XP-Pro machines and three M1001s, along with a Roberts WM-201 . . . . In addition to this, my Fritz!Box WLAN also enables a further M1001 and yet another Roberts WM-20, along with a Vista Laptop !!! All of which work perfectly with this QNAP unit.

Would I buy a Maxtor, sorry not with my past experiences, and the same negative comment applies to a ‘Linkstation’ - I’m no Techie, and my network and equipment was set-up by my son (who happens to be an IT Manager), but as you can see my experiences with NAS has been very different to your own.

Cheers, Alan
(Radio Roku Moderator)

BoldBelvoir

WMC vs. iTunes

Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:36 am

Hi all

I used to run an Unslung / SLUG / mt-daap combination with a 350Gb HD attached to serve my 9500-odd MP3s to Soundbridge. Worked fine, although I found it sluggiish (haha!) at times.

I have just invested in an HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server, which comes pre-installed with both Windows Media Connect and iTunes.

When using the WMC server, the speed is frustratingly slow, something like 30 sec to load the Artist list, another 30 sec to search for albums by that artist etc. Not very good!

I enabled the iTunes server, and the menus on the Soundbridge now come up more-or-less instantly. What a difference!

Can anyone explain why this should be?

Also , not sure if it's appropriate on this forum, but I've still got the SLUG, fully set up and working, for sale. Any reasonable offer considered.

Best regards.

Phil.