Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

CareyRokuUser

Using Roku M1001 with HipServ

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:54 am

For what it's worth, I've been using a Roku M1001 with a HipServ NAS for a year now. It works perfectly and is very reliable. The HipServ software includes an UPnP server so all the music on the HipServ appears automatically in a library on the Roku.

The only drawback is that the HipServ server supports only .MP3 files - i.e., those purchased. It doesn't support Rhapsody files.

Abbesnabb

Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:52 am

I've used an Iomega Storcenter 250 GB for years but dust got it the other day and I have to buy a new NAS.

I have a Pinnacle SoundBridge Home Music and it worked ok with the Storcenter, some features did not work though so I had to go directly to the File system where files and folders weren't shown in any apparent order.

So, when I am thinking of buying a new NAS I would of course like it to be compatible with the SoundBridge. I have two more things the NAS will have to live up to (which the Storcenter did).

1. It will have to have a print server (USB)
2. I will have to hava a gigabit connection

I've been looking at the new Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive. It looks all fine in theory (which many NAS do) but does it work for real? Any experiences there?

... any other suggestions in that price range?

alanmc

Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:35 am

@ Abbesnabb, welcome to the forums

IMHO your very best-buy will be a QNAP TS109 Pro II (with a 1Tb Samsung F1 HDD) running the pre-installed on-board Twonky 4.4.9. -
It will certainly work with your Pinnacle M400 - use firmware 3.0.52 on your SoundBridge Home Music -

Cheers, Alan

Abbesnabb

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:00 am

Thanks Alan
I wrote to the Iomega support and they wouldn't say what media server the Home Media Network Hard Drive have. I asked them if it was Twonky or Firefly or something else and they replied that it has a media server. I asked if it was the same as the StorCenter and they replied that they thought so. That media server was developed over three years ago and from my experience didn't work very well so I doubt they'd put the same thing in their brand new "Media Network Hard Drive" but that's what they said and I'm not willing to take a chance here.

I think you're right it'll have to be the Qnap TS-109 it seems to be the best working from what I've read so far. I'll get back with a report when I've saved the money to buy one.

a.roling

iomega

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:04 am

hi,

iomega has a line in the storecenter series the ix2 that has an itunes server they said, but it is not working and not compatible with my m1001 ... the other series i dont know....

andre

alanmc

Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:01 am

Here in the UK there is a well-known saying: "Ignore the Rest, and buy the Best" - and as a user who owned one prior to moving on to a Home Server I can tell you it is worth every penny http://www.qnapstore.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=38 :wink:
And works perfectly with the SoundBridge 24/7 with very low power consumption.

ap

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Im using an Icybox IB-NAS4220, its got 2 1TB hard drives (massive music library) installed and out of the box comes with a 30 day trial version of Twonky which you can then buy a license. You can also use this as a print server or attach additional USB devices.

Also running 2 soundbridge homemusic players with are synced with Cidero UPnP A/V Controller software.

Ive never had any problems with this setup, it was an absolute breeze to setup.

SoxFan1966

Linkstation LS-CHL with an M500 and M1001

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:54 am

I recently purchased a Buffalo Linkstation LS-CHL, and use it as my media storage with a central ITunes database for all my home network pc's to access. It works pretty good.

It also has an Itunes server built into it so I can stream directly to my two Roku units (M500 and an M1001). Both work great with it and the major upside is that I do not have to run down to my office in the basement and start up a pc each time I want to listen to music on the Rokus. The Linkstation has a nice way of setting wake up / shutdown times so I have it set up when we are home and awake as opposed to having it run 24/7.

Only downside I have is that the Linkstation appears twice on each of the Rokus. The first appears to be the Shared database (and has nothing in it) and the second listing is the library which has all my songs, etc and is the one I use to play.

Other than that, it was a very affordable, efficient solution for my needs.

a.roling

StorCenter ix2 - works ok again

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:22 am

Ok, im a happy man again.... after the latest update from iomega the soundbridge and my pinnacle showcenter are working normal again...
So thanks everybody here for his time and advice....

Andre

crazykiwi

Which NAS to buy?

Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:29 pm

Hi I am tossing up wither to get a Lacie Internet Space:
http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?pid=11137
or
Netgear Ready Nas Duo:
http://www.netgear.co.nz/Products/Storage/ReadyNASDuo/RND2000.aspx

I want to be able to store my iTunes music, xvid, photos, program files etc on it and have my Soundbridge M1000 stream the music from it.

Ideally what I really want is a device I can plug into my tv and wired network, so it can store all my files, I can use it to watch xivd files on tv, it will store my iTunes and my Soundbridge can stream the music from it, has anybody got some good ideas?
Thanks heaps!
:idea:

LngdnAlger

Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:29 am

I recently had some changes on the server from my HP MediaVault MV2120. I have been streaming via this server to my Soundbridges and my XBOX 360 and in the last couple of weeks something has changed.

The name of the Server found by SoundBridge changed as well as the menu structure, making it tougher to navigate. I also can no longer see the server from my XBOX360.

Does anyone know what server (Twonky??) is onboard the HP MediaVault and whether I can get into that and configure it?

Is there a better/recommended media server that I can throw onto this NAS?

LngdnAlger

Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks. I have an MV2, and I did get to the Firefly page. It wouldn't let me alter anything, though, except restart the server. It showed the server was running but Bonjour was not. The Twonky page was restricted.

Oddly enough, that seemed to return everything to normal. The XBOX360 sees the server now and the Roku menu structure is back to the same. I had restarted everything before, so the only new thing I did was get to the Firefly page...

What does Bonjour do?

rknopf

DNS-321/323 - D-Link confirms no playlist support

Tue May 26, 2009 10:12 am

Spent an hour with D-Link tech support and they confirm that their itunes server does NOT support playlists - just the basic songs/albums with their metadata.

I will now stop wasting my time with their software and undertake to get firefly installed on my 321.

I requested that they document this on their website since it is a source of frustration to their customers.
Roger
LP spinnin' fool

htevolution

Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:06 pm

I just got a Netgear ReadyNas Pro Pioneer Edition up and running. It comes standard with Firefly and a UPnP server built in. A more up-to-date DLNA server is available as a free add-in.

I got it up and running and talking to my M1000 with no problems at all. This thing is super fast... much better than the old desktop I used as a server previously.

Now I just have to get my playlists onto the NAS. The good thing is, if I understand correctly, Firefly can handle playlists via an iTunes .xml file or .m3u.

ukanalyst

Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:08 am

I have recently purchased a Netgear ReadyNAS DUO which I've upgraded to 1GB RAM and stuck a couple of fast 1TB HDDs in there. The unit comes as standard with Firefly installed.

I had a couple of headaches during setup as the Firefly server tends to crash if you try and access the config while it's cataloguing your collection.

I have approx 10,000 tracks and around 2,000 m3u playlists and the thing flies! It's an absolute gem and a perfect compliment to my M1000 and M1001

Dave