Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ime95mos

Re: Using a NAS or networked hard drive? Tell us about it.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:33 pm

I was thinking of replacing my DNS-313 with Zyxel NSA210 for use with my M1001.

Information can be found here,

http://www.zyxel.com/web/product_family ... 05A93B2F92

What do you think? Will the media server work? The Media server in DNS-313 is crap, atleast together with M1001.

angryblackman

DNS 323

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:58 pm

We want to better understand the non-computer based devices people are using as servers for their SoundBridges. If you are using a networked hard drive or NAS or other embedded server device, we'd love to know about it.

If you're the first person to mention a particular device, it would be nice to also mention if it supports the soundbridge out of the box or if it needs to be "hacked" or otherwise modified to support the SoundBridge.

If the device you use has already been mentioned, please post a "me too" message so we can help gauge the popularity of the different devices.

Thanks.

I am using a Dlink DNS323 NAS with a Dlink DIR-655, I have recently upgraded to FW 1.08 and add v1.0 of the Firefly Add-on, which does not appear to work with my Roku 1001.
I cannot get it to see the Firefly server, even though it is seem by every other device on my network.
I have to use something like Firefly as the Roku fails to load browse data as thier are 40,000+ .mp3 files on my NAS.

Prior to installing Firefly on my NAS I could use the older MT-DAAP server that is built-into the DNS-323 as long as I pointed the server to subsets of my media (so that it was browsing smaller chunks of files).

46jimbo

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Angryblackman - Regarding the DIR-655 router, it may be the cause of your problems. Previous posters have complained about this router and the advice was to get rid of it. Is there a chance that you can test your setup with another router?

I also use the the DNS-323 NAS and it works well for me, but NOT with the DIR-655 router.

jfleming

Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:12 am

I am using a Seagate BlackArmor NAS 220 to host my music files. This device runs iTunes server and I'm currently running into an issue with using this iTunes server with my Roku Soundbridge. Everything works fine except that the Soundbridge is not able to filter albums by artist. When I am browsing by artist, the Soundbridge just lists out all of the albums on the server and does not filter by the artist I selected. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the iTunes server or with the Soundbridge.

Has anyone had a simliar experience or know what may be causing this issue? Thanks.

ime95mos

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:09 am

I recently bought the Zyxel NSA210 NAS, great device, but...

The iTunes server in it was really good and served the M1001 good for about two weeks, then it just dissapeared from my network. Installed iTunes on my Windows machine and turned off all firewalls and it can't be seen anywhere. UPnP DLNA does not work at all with the M1001.

Regards
Markus

Bambleweeny57

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:35 am

I am using a Western Digital MyBook World Edition II to serve a Roku M1001 with reasonable Success.
As long as your music collection doesn't exceed around 20,000 files, this server works just fine.
IF you have more, the browse function becomes increasingly fragile due to constrains of the NAS.
However, there is a work-around!
You can configure multiple mt-daapd server instances on the MBWEII each serving subsets of your collection (e.g.Pop,Classic,Audiobook).
I have three, serving over 40,000 songs. Works great. No sign of excessive processor loading.

The MBWEII requires hacking to install the mt-daapd Firefly server (part of NSLU2 Optware package).
Easy to follow details can be found at the following links:
http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/hacks-and-howto
http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/MyBo ... on_Install
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Mt-daapd

Once that is set up a small number of files need to be created and configured, as I shall attempt to detail below.

******************** FOR A SINGLE mt-daapd INSTANCE: ********************
1. Create the mt-daapd configuration file; /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
Edit the the following fields:
-- db_dir - pointer to the directory holding the songs.gdb database file (e.g. /opt/var/mt-daapd)
-- mp3_dir - pointer to your mp3 directory (e.g /shared/internal/PUBLIC/MP3)
-- servername - a name for your server that will be visible to DAAP clients (e.g. MyBook Firefly)

2. create the songs database using the following command; /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
This will start the mt-daapd process and begin creating/updating the songs.gdb database file.
You may monitor the progress of the database creation using the following commands
ls-l /opt/var/mt-daapd
ps -ef | grep mt-daapd

3. Create a script to start your mt-daap process with the MBWE (e.g. /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd)
Include the following:
#!/bin/sh
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/lib
if [ -n "`pidof mt-daapd`" ] ; then
killall mt-daapd 2>/dev/null
fi
sleep 2
/opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

******************** FOR MULTIPLE mt-daapd INSTANCES: ********************
For each mt-daapd instance (denoted with the generic "<xyz>" postfix below):

1. create a unique <xyz>.conf file in the directory /opt/etc/mt-daapd/.
Edit the following fields for each instance:
-- db_dir - location you wish to put the songs.gdb database file (e.g. /opt/var/mt-daapd/db_<xyz>/)
-- mp3_dir - pointer to the mp3 directory (e.g. /shared/internal/PUBLIC/MP3/<xyz>)
-- servername - (in MyBook Firefly <xyz>)
-- port - assign a unique port to each instance (e.g. 3689, 3690,...)
Optionally create unique entries for the following
-- rescan_interval - use different periods so that the db updates are usually not synchronized
-- playlist - pointer to customized playlist file for each songs.gdb (e.g. /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd_<xyz>.playlist)
Note:
for greater flexibility, I personally point the "mp3_dir" field to a directory containing one (or more) symbolic links to the MP3 root directories I wish included in each database.
The mp3_dir field only accepts a single directory argument which means hacking your MP3 directory structure to suit your servers!
Creating one "links" directory for each server, containing multiple links to branches of your MP3 tree is much easier.

2. Create songs database with the following command:
/opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd_<xyz>.conf
This will start mt-daapd and begin creating/updating the database file indicated in the <xyz>.conf file
(/opt/var/mt-daapd/db_<xyz>/songs.gdb )

3. Create a script to start/restart mt-daapd with your MyBook (e.g. /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd)
#!/bin/sh
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/lib
if [ -n "`pidof mt-daapd`" ] ; then
killall mt-daapd 2>/dev/null
fi
sleep 2
# include the following line for each mtdaapd instance running:
/opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd_<xyz>.conf

That's about it really. Hopefully I have remembered all the necessary steps.

tomh009

Sat May 21, 2011 10:07 am

Using an IcyBox NAS-4220 with an M1000 (currently dead!) and M2000. Upgraded to the full TwonkyMedia server, and it works very well. I have the IcyBox set up to spin down its drives after 5 minutes of idle time, so the power consumption and ambient noise levels are very low when not playing music.

If I were to buy a new NAS box today, I'd probably get a Synology DS-209 or DS-211.

akarol

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:57 am

Linksys E4200 router with a WD Elements 2 TB desktop HD.

mrosenau

Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:24 pm

I use a hacked buffalo Linkstation HD-120GL purpose bought to stream to the Soundbridge. (Both still working after nearly 10 years!)
Also use a D-link DNS-323.

-markr
-markr

M1000 s/n 151 w/ Slimserver from a LinkStation. A great combination. 17 years and still going strong!
HD1000 - dead, bad caps in the power supply.

icarni

Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:54 pm

I use since ages an old FAT32 HDD hooked on a german router FritzBox 7270 v2, works perfect since then BUT since a couple of weeks no WAV and no AAC are recognized by the M1001. It finds the files and lists as available but only with a leading "X" instead of the music sign so they are no playable ..... where could be the problem?

I think my device has been able to run these files in the past as WAV but no idea what happened now ..... I did not change anything in my set-up. Can play only mp3.

Any ideas?
M1001, Onkyo A-9555, Onkyo DX-7555, HECO Celan XT 901