Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Vortech
Topic Author

NAS this and NAS that...

Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:20 pm

Hi all,

All this talk about different NAS drives makes me want to buy one - flower you all. :)

But I think I have one problem with this; what kind of media server they come with or can be installed.
I have a lot of purchased WMA files, and are therefore "forced" to use Windows Media Connect to be able to play DRM files.

Anything I can do here? Is it possible to get a NAS with a Win OS, so I can install WMC?

/Frank

grommet

Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:34 pm

The closest you can get is to buy one of the numerous micro-sized PCs out there. No matter what, it'll cost more than a "NAS" box... but they'll be fully functional PCs. Many are low power and silent. Alternatively, use an old laptop.

risimmons

Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:27 am

Unfortunately you need to run Windows Media Connect on a PC to serve DRM protected WMA files.

Have you tried burning the files to audio CD and then re-importing? Then you could use a NAS box and running a media server (check the sticky NAS thread for some examples). I don't have any DRM'd files, so I don't know if this works (or if it's legal)
Roku 2 XS

Vortech
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:22 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

Grommet, yeah I've thought about the laptop solution as well.. It's a balance between using a wornout one (which I have) that has to be turned on all the time or use a new one (which I don't have) with a wake-on-LAN option. That's not an option for me then..

Risimmons, You've got a point there.. It should be possible to record "What-you-hear", where the (correct me if I'm wrong) sound "stays" on the soundcard and gets recorded in real time. Just a matter of encoding it again. An annoying side effect with this is that the quality drops a notch with the reencoding going on.. Legal or not, I won't like it because of that side effect.

Looks like I have to wait and see if a "DRM compliant" server sees the light someday.

Edit: A bit off topic perhaps, but still.. Is it possible to buy songs that are mp3 encoded, or is that impossible because of the lack of DRM?
Any recommendations? I'm only looking for at least 192kbps encodings.

/Frank