Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

higstunes
Topic Author

soundbridge powering off during use

Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:32 pm

I have 3 M1001s that I use to play the iTunes from my Mac in my home, and recently one has been quite problematic. It is connected via a computer jack to a Netgear router, with 2 other cords, one an RCA jack into my stereo receiver, the other the Sounbridge power supply. The problem unit is directly connected, the other two in other rooms away from my Mac are connected via Cat5 wiring which I had put in when I remodeled.
Problem: The unit keeps cutting out during use, with any of the following variations--> It powers up, goes to playlist, and then, upon pressing "play" for the first song, immediately reboots and goes through its "Let the music play!" start up. At other times, it plays for 20 minutes before doing that. And finally, a couple of times it's sent me a message saying "Too many users connected", and stymied my efforts to get around that.

On perhaps an unrelated note, I've checked "sharing" preferences on my iTunes and have seen "On, other users connected". I don't have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth enabled, so that kind of spooks me (I have Apple TV, an iPad, iPhone etc, but these are not powered up/connected at the time)

What I've done: Changed out to one of my other units. Same problem.
Restarted Mac.Unplugged modem, router, Soundbridge unit, plugged back in.
Head Scratcher: my other 2 Soundbridge locations (great room and MBR) are able to play without interruption. This tells me it's not a computer or router problem, no?

The power source and other connecting cords all seem to look OK. If it were just about going on Amazon and finding a new unit, I'd do that, but since I switched out the unit, I'm wondering if that's a waste of time. Maybe I should just buy all new power cord and/or computer jack cord for the unit?

bregent

Re: soundbridge powering off during use

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:19 pm

>What I've done: Changed out to one of my other units. Same problem.

Changed out what? The power supply? Did you try both of the other power supplies?
It's quite possible that all of your Roku power supplies are old and weak, and this one M1001 is drawing more power than the others.
It certainly sounds like the symptoms of a bad power supply - my 7 year old M1001 supply just died last week.

higstunes
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:32 pm

Eureka!

I had changed out the Soundbridge -unit-, but had not changed out the power source. I switched that, and although I've not yet used it enough to say for certain that I'm -totally- in the clear, the unit appears to be working now.
Which now means I need to buy a replacement power cord (or perhaps 3, given that I have 3 old units). Call me crazy or ignorant, but I wasn't aware that power cords had an obvious life span as long as they weren't subject to abuse. I guess with most any other electronic instrument I've had, the actual item has kwapped out long before the cord. But I learn something everyday.

So...my next question is, "Where does one buy replacement power cords?" Hint: I tried Radio Shack, armed with the power specs, but alas, all the ones my local store had were equipped with "L" shaped plug-ins, which will not fit into the recessed end of the Roku unit.

bregent

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:42 pm

>Call me crazy or ignorant, but I wasn't aware that power cords had an obvious life span

Power supplies ARE usually reliable. But these Roku Soundbridge power supplies are notoriously under engineered - it's the most common failure of the device.

When searching for a replacement, you need to make sure it's the proper voltage (5V) and has current capacity of at least 1.5A.

Here's the one I just bought. Probably could have found a cheaper one, but I was in a hurry and couldn't find anything better. And they have the correct plug.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QY ... UTF8&psc=1

Your other 2 will fail eventually, but I don't think you need to purchase a new supply until they do.

DerekHelps

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:04 pm

A lot of information in finding a replacement power adapter can be found in the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31605
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>