Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Guru Dave
Topic Author

Party shuffle and crossfade

Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:33 pm

My Roku worked great .... right out of the box!!

Can I play a Party Shuffle playlist? I am most interested in using the crossfade function AND shuffling my entire collection. Any other way to accomplish this easily?

Thanks!

RokuMike

Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:13 pm

We don't support crossfade at this time, and I don't think the Party Shuffle is exported via the sharing interface, although I will check with Apple on this.

In the meantime, here's the easy way to play your library shuffled:
  1. Go to browse.
  2. Choose Browse Songs.
  3. Pick any song in the list, and play it.
  4. Press the shuffle button.

Please note that as of 2.1 beta 3, you can just press the Play key to start a list playing, instead of pressing Select twice.

any_junk

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:52 pm

I haven't tried 2.1 yet but in 2.0 when I try to play all my library it takes about 40 seconds from when I clicked select for the second time until it started playing.

I have 12,000 songs using M2000 with a wired Ethernet connected to a 802.11g router. The iMAC running iTunes is using a 802.11g network connection.

RokuMike

Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:53 pm

That's probably about right. You're asking for a lot of data by playing all of such a large library. In 2.1, the feedback is better.

any_junk

Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:36 am

That is what I assumed but I guess I was hoping for a lightly different behavior. Since the select says 'start playing with this song' I thought that selecting the song means: (1) start playing THIS song and (2) add the rest of the songs to the queue. This way the user is already listening to a song during the 40 seconds it takes to load the huge playlist. If you think this would be valuable I would put that in the feature requests thread. Just a thought...

RokuMike wrote:
That's probably about right. You're asking for a lot of data by playing all of such a large library. In 2.1, the feedback is better.

RokuMike

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:16 am

Good suggestion!

polarwind

Re: Party shuffle and crossfade

Sat May 21, 2016 5:42 am

@rokumike: (or other Roku devs) Sorry to revive an old topic. Just wondering, way back in December 2004 crossfading was not supported. What is the status now, 12 years later? Are we talking about your inhouse players, the actual roku OS platform limitations, ... ? Could a third party developer create his own player with crossfading support, or wouldn't this work unless Roku OS supports it? How does this work ?

Many thanks in advance for your reply :)