Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DonM

Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:37 am

Thorsten,

Yes I believe in being positive and have started to resample my lossless files from 44.1 to 48khz.

By the way I'm using the Behringer DCX2496 after the Roku and am very pleased with the results.

Don M

andyinstal

Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:31 pm

I do not think that Roku is taking this problem seriously...Rokumike with his comment in another thread. I am not perceiving a sound problem, I actually hear it because it exists!

SuzieQ

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:34 pm

andyinstal wrote:
I am not perceiving a sound problem, I actually hear it because it exists!

In my mind, there is no question about the noise-problem anymore. I did run several extensive listening tests comparing the M1000 with the M1001; and I found, with my setup, that there is some noise layer when playing back music through the M1001. On the other hand, the M1000 does not exhibit this additional noise layer.

The Highlander

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:55 am

Can anyone confirm that upsampling to 48 KHz solves
the noise problem?

And is there an easy to use command line tool
which can do this job?

mr rusty

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:07 am

I would like to add a thought. I am not an audio engineer, but do a bit of home recording. One of the criticisms of some sound cards (creative mainly) is that the cards are locked at 48kHZ internally and therefore have to re-sample if you record at anything other than 48.

My Question. What happens to the audio that is ripped from a CD. If it starts off at 44.1, is it copied bit for bit through the PC, or is it resampled. As you can rip to different formats, does the ripping config not play a part in this? Is it not possible that some systems resample twice during ripping. Say 44.1 to 48 and then resampled to output rate?

I may be talking total rubbish of course. LOL

S80_UK

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:11 am

mr rusty wrote:
My Question. What happens to the audio that is ripped from a CD. If it starts off at 44.1, is it copied bit for bit through the PC, or is it resampled. As you can rip to different formats, does the ripping config not play a part in this? Is it not possible that some systems resample twice during ripping. Say 44.1 to 48 and then resampled to output rate?

I may be talking total rubbish of course. LOL

Hi,
The CD ripping process does not involve any audio signal path in the PC. Data is read from the CD as data and stays as data all the way, so there should be no sample rate conversion anywhere, except when done within the SB1001 as here.

The Highlander

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:33 am

mr rusty wrote:
I would like to add a thought. I am not an audio engineer, but do a bit of home recording. One of the criticisms of some sound cards (creative mainly) is that the cards are locked at 48kHZ internally and therefore have to re-sample if you record at anything other than 48.

The sampling rate of 48 kHz for soundcards makes sense if you are
using MS Windows. The Kernel-Mixer samples all sources to 16 Bit
and 48 kHz. If you use K-Mixer you'll have a slightly reduced
sound quality. To avoid this you can use a ASIO-Driver.
But I think this is off topic.

The question for me is still if upsampling to
48 kHz will solve the noise problem?
But that means resampling a few thousand FLAC-Files!!!

wideasleep1

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:41 am

Yes, resampling to 48 resolves the problem...this has been verified by several users who experience the issue. Still, it befalls Roku to research and attempt to correct the problem, as this single issue is indeed affecting sales of the M1001.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

SuzieQ

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:34 am

The Highlander wrote:

I would think very hard about this idea. Why would one want to resample the entire music collection only that you can cater to one product? Just think about it; Roku may decide to introduce, in the future, a product that does do 44.1 kHz. Would you then resample your collection again?

The Highlander

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:15 am

SuzieQ wrote:
The Highlander wrote:

I would think very hard about this idea. Why would one want to resample the entire music collection only that you can cater to one product? Just think about it; Roku may decide to introduce, in the future, a product that does do 44.1 kHz. Would you then resample your collection again?

Of course not. What I was trying to say that this is a
serious problem of the Soundbridge.
This issue makes the product unusable for many people.
I have tears in my eyes because I'm using 2 SBs.
And the worst is that I thought that the noise is produced by the WLAN.
So I decided to buy a D/A-Converter and connect the SB via Toslink.
But the problems stays the same...

collett_steve@hotmail.com

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:28 am

andyinstal wrote:
I do not think that Roku is taking this problem seriously...Rokumike with his comment in another thread.

I have to agree.

It seems likely that this will play out in a similar way to the WPA "investigation" which roku undertook for the older soundbridge models. That just ended up with alot of very dissapointed customers (me included).

Roku say that they are "continuing to investigate the issue". Investigations of this nature do not take 9 months to complete. By this time, Roku must know full well what can and cannot be done about this issue. Yet they haven`t told us anything other than they are "investigating". I wonder why?

This type of language is at best, poor expectation management, and at worst, deliberatley misleading.

DonM

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:59 pm

There are just too many strikes against this manufacturer. The 48khz buzz was the third with the M1001.

There was an M1000 that died after 14 months and outside the warranty. Followed closely was a new release of iTunes that does not work with this product.

I'm planning to replace this media player in the next year. Just wait for MS Vista to hit. There may be more issues on the way.

Don

mraneri

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:19 pm

DonM wrote:
... Followed closely was a new release of iTunes that does not work with this product.

That DID not work with this product.. After much silence from Roku about the issue, they have released a beta with ITunes 7 support... Hopefully, they're silently working on this one too.

collett_steve@hotmail.com

Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:59 am

mraneri wrote:
After much silence from Roku about the issue, they have released a beta with ITunes 7 support... Hopefully, they're silently working on this one too.

But have you noticed the difference in language between the itunes 7 issue and the M1001 noise issue?

When quizzed on Itunes 7, Roku have been quoted as saying "We continue to make progress". Thats very different to "We continue to investigate".

Roku are giving no indications whatsoever that a fix is in the works for M1001 noise, only that they are "investigating", which, given their previous form, is pretty meaningless.

SoundGeek
Topic Author

Nine Months!

Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:55 pm

Nine months now since I first reported this.

Roku: my soundbridge will be out of warranty soon. Can I get some assurance that if this problem is ever addressed my warranty status won't be a concern? Or will it?