Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

neilaevans
Topic Author

Can anyone get multiple SB synchronization to work?

Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:07 pm

Hi all,
After going back and forth, trying to decide between getting two Squeezeboxes or an M1000 and M2000, I decided to take advantage of the Best Buy sale and pick up an M1000 to play with. Setup was an utter breeze (although like many others I've found that the endcaps don't have room for higher quality cables) and in general I like the unit quite a lot - unfortunately, I'm afraid I may have to return it and turn to the Squeezebox solution.

My problem is that synchronized playback is very important to me (and the absence of that is what's prompting me to get rid of my Audiotron). I understand that the Soundbridge doesn't support synchronized playback of multiple units except when using SlimServer, but I figured that I could use the ITunes server most of the time (due to its superior UI) and switch over to SlimServer for those times I need synced playback.

Unfortunately, in testing sync between the M1000 and SoftSqueeze (as I don't have two Soundbridges yet) the results are totally off - one is always at least 5-10 seconds behind the other. So my question is - will I have better results syncing two Soundbridges (rather than one SB and a software emulator) or is syncing just not very good on the Soundbridges? Or, are there any updates on whether Soundbridge is going to be able to support syncing without Slimserver anytime soonish?

I'd really hate to give up on the Soundbridge - cabling issues aside, I think it's a brilliantly designed unit (and the M2000 is absolutely gorgeous) and for such a new product I've been very impressed with the speed of development and Roku's responsiveness to its users. But if syncing just doesn't work, and doesn't seem likely to work anytime soonish, I think I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

All comments welcome!

RokuMike

Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:03 pm

My (limited) understanding of the synchronization feature in SlimServer is that it depends upon known timing through the decoder path and so forth in the hardware or the software emulator. Since SoundBridge emulates a SqueezeBox when talking to SlimServer, but the hardware is totally different, there's a real possibility for the sync to be off.

I suspect that you'd have better luck with two SoundBridge units, but I have not tried this myself.

Stephen

Here is a novel Idea.

Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:25 pm

I was just thinking.....which is usually dangerous. The soundbridge has two digital outs. I have one running directly into my Rotel Surround Sound reciever so that the Hi Fi component does the D/A conversion. Can anyone think of a way to transmit wirelessly from the other digital output to another device or reciever with a digital input. It sounds crude, but if it could be done, then they should be in synch.

neilaevans
Topic Author

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:08 pm

Stephen,
Interesting workaround. I think something like this: http://www.wireless-experts.com/pragmatc/tmd51.htm would do what you're talking about, but I can't find any pricing information. Maybe I'll give them a call after the weekend (probably not cheap, but an interesting idea).

RokuMike,
Your explanation makes sense, and perhaps you're right, two SoundBridges might work better than one SB and an emulator. Anyone who's tried it care to comment? And Mike, anyway I could get even a hint about whether SoundBridges are going to support sync without SlimServer?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Stephen

Wireless transmitter.

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:46 pm

Yes! This looks like exactly what I was thinking of. And it uses the coax output to boot (I'm using the optical one in my main listening setup). My hunch is that all you would need is this device/s and a standard auidio reciever that has a coax digital input. I bet if you got creative, you could daisy chain a few of these together for multiple rooms. You could still use up to 5 separate soundbridges for independant playback as this would be a completely separate issue. Hmmmn. Heck, I bet there are some powered speakers out there with digital inputs.

neilaevans
Topic Author

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:55 pm

I've emailed them, and will try to remember to give a call on Monday. I'll post if I hear a price.

Honestly though, it's not my preferred setup - I would love something like the way the Squeezeboxes let you select synchronization from any player. I doubt this would have that kind of flexibility. Again, it's a cool idea though (it all comes down to the price).

Stephen

I'm having fun now...

Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:44 am

Okay,

Your wireless device and a set of these would be a pretty cool setup.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... ENTID=9486
They aren't HiFi, but they could sure fake it, and what an easy setup. They even have two digital inputs, so you could plug a soundbridge into them and have indpendant control of your music selection as well as synched playback.

If you just wanted to add tunes in your kitchen, you could use a set of these.
http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ma10d.html
They probably aren't that impressive sounding, but they might work for background music.

Obviously, the best thing would be if multiple soundbridges could stream in synch.

RokuMike

Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:23 am

We don't discuss future features. I can say that we think synchronized playback with any server would be really cool. :)

neilaevans
Topic Author

Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:24 pm

RokuMike wrote:
We don't discuss future features. I can say that we think synchronized playback with any server would be really cool. :)

That's understandable (and I'll translate that to "on the list of long-term desired features, but probably not next week").

Thanks,
Neil

Zanoryt

Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:07 pm

I own a SB M1000 and a SB M2000. I'll give synchronizing them together using SlimServer a shot later tonight and report if there are timing issues, as compared to a softsqueeze and a SB.

neilaevans
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:45 am

Thanks Zanoryt...I really look forward to hearing back from you - and really appreciate you taking the time.

eperedo

Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:31 pm

I have 3 M1000's that I synchronized over the weekend. It rocks. I am using the new 2.1.20 Roku software and 5.4.0 Slimserver. I would be interested in having a way to do it irregardless of the Music Library I connect to (my wife uses an iTunes library).

neilaevans
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:43 pm

eperedo wrote:
I have 3 M1000's that I synchronized over the weekend. It rocks. I am using the new 2.1.20 Roku software and 5.4.0 Slimserver. I would be interested in having a way to do it irregardless of the Music Library I connect to (my wife uses an iTunes library).

Eperedo,
Thanks for chiming in. Just to make sure I understand you correctly - you had 3 M1000's synced and there was no noticeable lag between them? That's fantastic news! If I may press for more details, what are your network connections like (ie, all wired, all wireless, mix of both)?

Thanks again, that's great news!

eperedo

Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:23 pm

I have all the units wired. There was no lag as far as I could tell. I used the remote to synchronize the units. I went to the following menu: Slimserver --> Settings --> Synchronize and the Roku was able to see the other 2 units I had connected to the Slimserver. I had the option of synchronizing with either one.

I also synchronized them from the Slimserver web GUI (http://slimserver:9000) Simply selected the player I wanted to synchronize and went to the Audio menu from there the "Synchronize" option was available.

Its awesome :D . I was looking at wiring my house for a multiroom stereo system and now I can cross that project off the list.

Two of my M1000's have wifi cards. However, i have not tested synchronizing them via wireless. Its a long story... suffice it to say that I do not recommend using Linksys WAP11 units (they stopped passing traffic every 24 to 48 hours - very annoying). Now I'm thankful for the 6 weeks I spent running Cat-5e cable thorughout the house.

When I get my wireless setup to be reliable, I'll throw the Roku units on it and test them. Will keep you posted.

neilaevans
Topic Author

Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:32 pm

Fantastic! Thanks again.