Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

michaelkinahan
Topic Author

Jumpin tracks??

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:12 am

Hi, I really like the soundbridge, but one problem that seems to keep happening is, when I play an album it plays fine, but sometimes it starts a track then after 20 30 or even 60 seconds it then jumps to the next track. Has any one got any ideas why this happens?????
Cheers

Michael

RokuMike

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:22 pm

This is an issue that affects a small percentage of users, the cause of which we are still working to isolate. We included a fix for one potential problem in the 2.5 software release but unfortunately it seems that there is a second cause at work as well. We continue to work on the issue.

Could you please share a little information with us? It may be helpful in finding the problem:

1) What model SoundBridge are you using?
2) Is it connected to your network wirelessly, or via Ethernet?
3) If you're playing music from your computer, what server are you using, and how is your computer connected to the network?
4) What is the make and model of your WiFi equipment (assuming that you're using WiFi).

Thanks!

michaelkinahan
Topic Author

Thanks

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:32 pm

Well I am using the M1000, and using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, on my computer i am using Firefly and connected to the Linksys via a cable. Also this happens on my laptop to, which has a Linksys wireless adaptor
I hope this helps, as I have a party comin up in August and this wont help with my mates!!!!
Cheers

xanleman

Re: Jumpin tracks??

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:27 pm

I have had M2000 and M500 for almost 18 months and enjoy using both. However, I find there are problems that continually need to be addressed. While most I can fix, this stopping during playing and then restarting or freezing or, jumping tracks seems to be recent and seemingly insoluble.

My set up is as follows:

M2000 - Wired (CAT 6) - iTunes on iMac G5 w LaCie 500G HDD (Firewire 400) through a NETGEAR router and switch.

I added the switch to see if that made any improvement as the cable runs are fairly long. This may have been naive but i was growing increasingly frustrated.

Do you require further information?

Xan

[quote="michaelkinahan"]Hi, I really like the soundbridge, but one problem that seems to keep happening is, when I play an album it plays fine, but sometimes it starts a track then after 20 30 or even 60 seconds it then jumps to the next track. Has any one got any ideas why this happens?????
Cheers

Michael[/quote][quote][/quote]

Dave Ward

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:59 am

Hi,

I have also started to notice this problem. My setup is
M2000, Itunes, Linksys WRT54G v1.1 wireless router, Linksys WET54G wireless bridge

Dave
Panny PHW6, AE Evo's. Yamaha RXV2500, HK DVD25, Soundbridge 2000 & 1000

IslandDreamer

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:37 am

Same problem started occuring here.

M2000, computer is wired to router, server: Firefly, wifi router: Linksys WRT54GS.

xanleman

Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:33 pm

It appears that these minority of affected units are in fact the tip of the iceberg.

Spent a couple of hours on changing all variables. I now have moved the unit from connection to the iMac (linked by Firewire 400 to a LaCie HDD) to connection to my PB via Firewire 800. It is still a wired connection to the router/switch but seems to have resolved the problem.

So the pick up speed of the Firewire 800 (compared to the 400) seems to have helped.

In previous software versions this did not occur either wireless or wired. It appeared to allow more time to access the data rather than simply going straight to "Uanble to Play". However, that does not answer the stopping or jumping tracks issues. Or, does it?

Could this be the problem?

Xan

xanleman

Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:45 pm

My positive statements about resolution were made too early. I cannot get through the whole of Jarrett's The Koln Concert without each track ending prematurely and skipping to the next. It plays on the iTunes on the PB.

Xan

mcfh

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:24 pm

As an FYI to all. I recently overloaded my media server (which is an old PC) by adding CCTV event monitoring software to it and now routinely see the skipping tracks issue which is often cured by defragmenting my hard drive.

Are you sure you're PC's are not being maxed out......
M2000, M1000 & R1000 on iTunes and XP SP2
Integrate your Soundbridge with Windows

xanleman

Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:03 am

As for being maxed out, there is a lot of music on the external HDD but it plays perfectly from iTunes and only stops, jumps, freezes or shuts down when played through the SB.

Any thoughts ROKU as on this thread we haven't had a reply for a while. If you would rather we joined a different thread let us know.

Xan

jtbse

Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:10 am

xanleman wrote:
As for being maxed out, there is a lot of music on the external HDD but it plays perfectly from iTunes and only stops, jumps, freezes or shuts down when played through the SB.

In troubleshooting, one test you iTunes users might try to narrow things down if possible, is to determine how well these tracks play on another computer in your network accessing the tracks through iTunes DAAP sharing. This is what the SoundBridge is really trying to do.

Sometimes these sorts of problems can be related to the tracks themselves (although probably not if they stop in the middle)....new FAQ post on .aac files here:

http://www.rokulabs.com/support/sbtroubleshooting.php#Playback

But available CPU/memory on the computer used as a server most certainly has an impact on Soundbridge's performance. For example, if my kids are playing graphics intensive games on my Windows XP box, I'm pretty much limited to internet radio on my SoundBridge until they stop.