Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

polson
Topic Author

RSP on Soundbridge

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:12 am

I've problems with the connection to FireFly (on NSLU2) on my Soundbridge.

See also this thread:

http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/vi ... =6612#6612

It looks like a soundbridge problem:

It might be something simple, like just needs to rebuffer or something, but the error handling on the soundbridge has a problem.

In any event (to me, at least) this looks like a soundbridge thing. I know the RSP code on the soundbridge is much newer than the daap and upnp code, so it may be that error handling and that sort of thing aren't yet as robust as they are for other protocols.

Will this be solved in the near future???

Dave.B

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:14 am

As you can see from the thread that polson posted, I'm also having the same trouble. It had been doing it occasionally since I upgraded to 2.5.171, but after switching from DAAP to RSP a couple of days ago it has become much worse.

M1001 (Wireless)
NSLU2 (wired)
mt-daapd svn-1359
uNSLUng 5.5

Dave.B

Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:32 pm

No views from Roku?

FWIW: I've removed the rsp.so plugin from Firefly on my slug, so I'm back on DAAP again. The SoundBridge seems to be playing reliably again, however it doesn't look good for my idea of obtaining another SoundBridge, which will almost certainly have to be a Pinnacle one :evil:

polson
Topic Author

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:55 pm

Yep, I'm back to Twonky now. Their latest version 4.1 looks ok.

Dave.B

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:24 am

Just to add: I think I might have spoken too soon. The problem is still manifesting itself, although it does seem to be less apparent than with RSP. Maybe I'm imagining that?

Will someone from Roku please comment.

RokuMike

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:05 am

I'm afraid we have little to add. We've never seen the problem, and I use Firefly at work and at home. If you can find a consistently reproducible case, we can investigate it.

Dave.B

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:39 am

OK, sorry. I guess frustration got the better of me there.

This is what I see at the moment.
After an unpredictable amount of time, my Soundbridge will quit playing the current song, and attempt to buffer each successive song without success. At this point, restarting the SoundBridge (through the menu system is sufficient) will restore it to perfect working order, until the next time.

Firefly (svn 1359) on my slug is running continuously without fault as far as I can tell.

When the SB stops playing, it does not respond to Pings, ("the request timed out"), but it appears to work otherwise normally, in terms of remote control-ability. It does not play Internet Radio. from this I assume a SB problem, not a Firefly problem - although I could be wrong there.

However, I can leave the unit in Standby for days on end without it dropping its connection. It only ever loses the connection while it is playing. From this I assume that my wireless network is not the problem. Also other wireless devices are unaffected.

I will continue to monitor the situation to see if it becomes reproducable. Any advice or insight you can offer would be gratefully received.

Ritchiec80

Firefly skipping

Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:30 pm

That is exactly my problem?? When are roku gonna do something? At the moment I have a very expensive jukebox that only plays for 20 minutes at a time what is the point of that??? How can I work around this??

Thanks

Dave.B

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:27 pm

FWIW - mine now seems to be working again. See my last post here:
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9075
As you can see, it's still not perfect because access to the web config is still intermittent, but everything else does seem to be working again. I haven't changed anything.

It's especially frustrating becasue it seems impossible to track down a cause - I have a suspicion that next door were having similar issues with my network interfering with theirs, and they moved their router to the other side of the house. I'm not prepared to go round and ask. But like I said, my PDA still picks it up.

At the end of the day - I reckon it is not a Roku issue, but an issue with your network environment.

Ritchiec80

Fire Fly to blame

Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:25 am

I think its a fire fly problem as when I connect to my shared firefly playlists via a laptop that also disconnects after about 20 minutes...this never happened with itunes. Are there any other free music servers I could try?? Also if it was a neighbours network interfearing with mine, how can I change my wireless channel?? I'm on 11 at the moment. I use a Mac along with a netgear wireless router.

Thanks

fizze

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:46 am

there is also tangerine, which is a DAAP (iTunes) server, available for win32 and *IX, maybe it compiles on OS X, not sure.

on linux rhythmbox is also capable of that.

Deleet is known to run on a Mac, as I learnt here:
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=22145
Soundbridge M1001
de-u/c'd NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 - mt-daapd svn-1696