Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Dave.B
Topic Author

Soundbridge randomly losing connection...

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:32 am

I'm starting a new topic as I think I was a bit off-base with the old one.

Can someone please offer some advice or insight:

My setup has been working flawlessly for over 9 months. However, just recently the Soundbridge has started regularly losing its connection. It has done it 4 times already this morning.

Symptoms:
While playing a track, it will suddenly stop and attempt to buffer the next one without success. This goes on until I stop it.
When this happens, the SB becomes unresponsive to Pings over my network, although it can be controlled perfectly well with the remote.

If I use the remote to query the wireless settings I get the following:

Unable to connect to wireless network [name]
Quality: 100 Signal: -39dBm
Technical Details:
Lost Connection!
B200 Interface: 1 (Wireless) has no connection (Link)
MAC Address: [my MAC Address]
IP Address: [My IP Address]
Netmask: [My netmask]
Gateway: [My router's IP Address]
DNS 1: [My router's IP Address]
DNS 2: 0.0.0.0

Unfortunately I can't find any common set of circumstances that will reproduce this fault, other than that it will do it every time I use it, within anywhere between 5 minutes and a few hours. [Edit]It's worth adding that all other wireless devices in the house (2 Laptops, 1 PDA) work fine while the SB is acting up, so it's not my wireless AP at fault.

It never loses its connection while in standby.

Setup:
Roku (not Pinnacle) M1001 (Wireless)
2.5.171 firmware
Server: Firefly svn-1359 running on NSLU2 with uNSLUng 5.5 (wired)
The problem is the same whether using RSP or DAAP in Firefly (which is where I was mistaken before).

Hopefully someone can provide some advice, otherwise I'm thinking the SB might be faulty.

Dave.B
Topic Author

Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:47 am

Further information:
It looks like the SB will stream radio from the internet with no problem. It's been playing for ages now without losing the connection, whereas with music from Firefly, it drops the connection repeatedly.

davwebb

Losing connection

Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:50 am

I could not see from your previous posts what Router you are using. The Soundbridge seems to be (my opinion only) more sensitive to wireless dropouts/interference than other devices. Since you are running wireless, I would concentrate on the router setup (make sure the router firmware is up to date), and maybe try switching channels to see if the problem worsens or improves.

Dave.B
Topic Author

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:03 am

Thanks for the advice.
Router is a Belkin F5D5231-4 Wired Router together with a Belkin F5D7130 Wireless Access Point. Firmware is up to date, and the setup has been working fine until recently.

I will try switching channels.

Dave.B
Topic Author

Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:33 am

Dave.B wrote:
Further information:
It looks like the SB will stream radio from the internet with no problem. It's been playing for ages now without losing the connection, whereas with music from Firefly, it drops the connection repeatedly.

OK, scratch that. It is occaisionally dropping the connection, and successfully rebuffering while playing radio.

Could this be to do with my nextdoor neighbour's spotty little urchin recently setting up a wireless network on the same channel as me (11)?
I've only just discovered this :roll:

wideasleep1

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:53 pm

THAT was my next suggestion...a scan of local wlan's. I had to change to channel 1 to get a clear, stable wlan. G'Luck!
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

Dave.B
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:54 pm

OK, just after wideasleep's last post my HDD went U/S and had to go back to the manufacturers. All fixed and up and running again now, and strangely the problem seems to have disappeared.

However, I notice a few things tonight:

1) I cannot access the Soundbridge configuration or "Now playing" web page from any PC in the house - IE just times out.

2) I can ping the Soundbridge successfully from the command line

3) VisualMR on my PDA works perfectly

4) I am no longer running the Yahoo widget created by PaulH

5) Probably strangest of all - After a cursory check with my PDA out in the garden, I can still detect my neighbour's spotty urchin's wireless network. We are not really chums so I'm not going round to ask if he's changed channels or moved his router...

Let's hope it stays that way. Anyone know why I can't access the SB's web server?