Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TEK
Topic Author

Computer wake-up

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:29 am

Hello

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the SoundBridge device to cause the computer to wake up from stanby (or just to boot from shutdown state)?

I know that most computer (my included) has support for wake-up on lan, but I'm not sure if that require something special from the device that is supposed to wake up the computer?
I would be very supriced if it is possible trough a wifi connection, but what if you are using the wired connection?

My computer is in the basement, and the SoundBridge is in the living room, however; neither is in use in the middle of the night, so it's a waste have the computer running all night...
If it is a signal issue, a possible future feature request would be to have the SoundBridge be able to send such a signal.

TEK
SoundBridge 1001

g0pkh

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:40 am

Not very likely I am afraid :(

The problem is that the SB would need to send a Wake On Lan signal to the PC, then wait for the machine to boot.

Perhaps this could be added as a feature by the Roku guys.

This is the main reason I went for using a NAS device, it runs 24/7 without needing any other computers on at all.

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

TEK
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:20 pm

Hmm, then I can't see that it should be a very big issue to implement this.
The config section could for example include a:
"Send Wake-Up-Signal if server not available"
and
Time to wait for server after sending "Wake-Up-Signal"

So, whenever a requested server is unavailable the sound bridge will (if configured for it) send a Wake-Up-Singnal and wait the given amount of time to connect again.
Or maybe better, repetedly try to reconnect until connection is accomplished, or the timeout has expired.

That would have been a great feature. I think I will add it to the feature request thread.
SoundBridge 1001

MLZ

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:24 pm

Or just set System Standby time to a large number (I had to do this anyway because my PC dropped into hibernate for longer music selections.)

TEK
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:03 am

I can't see how that will help me when starting my soundbridge in the morning or when I'm coming home for work...

Except I go for a "all ways on" scheme, but that not very nice when you think about the power usage and the earth enviroment...
SoundBridge 1001

Vortech

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:47 pm

I know that this is not the solution you want, but can't you just use another computer to send the "magic packet" to your server?
I have an almost identical setup, and whenever I want to play some music, I just start the server from my "own" computer - which is almost always on when I'm home.

/Frank

TEK
Topic Author

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:30 am

If I wanted a computer in my living room, then sure.
But then I could just have run Windows Media Center all together I guess...
As the intention of the SoundBridge M1000 is to connect to a server and play content from it (in a home), a wake-up function should be a very natural thing to support.
SoundBridge 1001

Vortech

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:48 am

Hey Tek,

You misunderstood me..

Keep you server down in the basement.
If you have a computer somewhere else - a laptop in your study or whatever, you can use that to send the Wake-On-Lan packet to you server, and voila..

/Frank

Bear

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:49 am

TEK wrote:
If I wanted a computer in my living room, then sure.
But then I could just have run Windows Media Center all together I guess...
As the intention of the SoundBridge M1000 is to connect to a server and play content from it (in a home), a wake-up function should be a very natural thing to support.
Make sure you add this to the Feature Request forum if you have not done so already.
-----Bear