Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Boulderite
Topic Author

Copy presets from one Roku to another?

Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:56 am

I have an M1001 and a Radio Soundbridge. Is it possible to transfer the presets from one device to the other, so that the second device's presets would be an exact copy of the presets on the first device?

richdunlop

Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:33 pm

If only. It's currently a cut and paste job :roll:. There's a good suggestion from mraneri in this thread;

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9479

Tomas

Old feature request...

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:31 am

I asked for this feature long ago in this thread, but unfortunately there is no feedback from Roku whether a feature request is accepted or rejected. We can only hope that such a feature will be implemented eventually.

fm.72

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:25 pm

I actually did write a small, and I'm afraid, quick and dirty tool to do exactly that. It saves a copy of your presets to a file, which can then be used to carry those to a different SoundBridge (which in my case has the same address, because I either use my tool for just backing-up my presets just in case..., or for transfering presets between two SoundBridges with the same IP on two different networks).

If people do care, I could tidy it up a bit and post it here... And maybe even put in an option to change the target ip address.

Regards,
fm.72

richdunlop

Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:11 am

fm.72 wrote:
I actually did write a small, and I'm afraid, quick and dirty tool to do exactly that. It saves a copy of your presets to a file, which can then be used to carry those to a different SoundBridge (which in my case has the same address, because I either use my tool for just backing-up my presets just in case..., or for transfering presets between two SoundBridges with the same IP on two different networks).

If people do care, I could tidy it up a bit and post it here... And maybe even put in an option to change the target ip address.

Regards,
fm.72

8) Yes please!

fm.72

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:22 am

Ok, just give me a day or two...

g0pkh

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:55 am

I would love a copy too please. :)

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

fm.72

SoundBridge-Backup "released" for testing

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:30 am

Let's go! The first version (still quick and dirty) of my tool for backing up SoundBridge presets for those who are interested:

Get my tool, I called it SoundBridge-Backup (hope you don't mind at ROKU, if so, for any reason, please let me know!) at

EDIT: URL deleted, see my posting below http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=59409#59409

Instructions for setup and use are included in the readme-file.

My tool depends on wget, which is a GNU-tool for saving files from a web-server. Just get the Windows-Version (1.10.2) from http://xoomer.alice.it/hherold/

Please bear in mind, that I can not be held responsible in any way if my tool does anything wrong. I wrote it for my purposes and it does what I need. So, use at your own risk!

It has been tested on SoundBridge M500 with firmware version 2.5.174.

I am currently working on an option to change the target ip on the fly to sync two devices on the same network...

Please leave your feedback if there's anything wrong - and of course, if you're happy as well!

fm.72
Last edited by fm.72 on Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

richdunlop

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:03 pm

8) Just tried this on my M2000, 2.5.171 and it works perfectly. In terms of feedback I think it would be cool if you could allow us to specify both source and target IP's for synching. I guess you'd need to keep catering for the situation where there's no target IP for backup to file.

Once you get it polished, you might want to ask if Roku can host this on the 3rd party developer page.

Many thanks :D

jtbse

Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:43 am

fm.72....

Works like a champ! Sweet!!!

A prompt for the ip address or even discovering it via the UPnP broadcast would be cool, but it works great just the way it is.

Thanks for the contribution! :D

fm.72

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:27 pm

Nice to hear it's working for you both just as well as for me!

Regarding features:

I'm busy with a new version including the ability to copy presets from one machine to another...

And I'd like to make this a true Windows application with easy configuration, but that's no more than an idea at the moment. When (and if...) that get's done, I might ask ROKU to host it on their 3rd party page.

I'm afraid UPnP discovery will not soon be an option as I only use Windows 2000 with isn't capable of UPnP...

fm.72

Tomas

Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:10 am

I also had thoughts about writing an app that fetches the presets from one SB and stores it on another. I guess though, that this only applies to URL presets and not to playlist presets or "search" presets as those are greyed out in the web interface.

Maybe it is possible using one of the protocols that the SB supports, but I have no time for this kind of investigations just now...

fm.72

Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:26 pm

@Tomas: You're right, only URL presets are saved correctly. BUT: The current version of RCP (Roku Control Protocol) only supports URL presets as well... I also thought about using that protocol, but as long as the protocol isn't updated to support all possible preset types, my implementation is much easier...

As soon as this situation changes, I'll think it over again.

fm.72

fm.72

Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:33 pm

Just to keep you updated:

I'm busy with the Windows version of SoundBridge-Backup, which will not only be capable of making a backup, it'll be able to sync two devices on the same network. It'll take a few days though...

In the meantime I've got my own webspace, you can now download from:

EDIT: Link removed, new version, see below.

fm.72
Last edited by fm.72 on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fm.72

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:14 pm

Hi all!

I hope you're still interested. I've redesigned SoundBridge-Backup completely, setup and use are now straight-forward. This release is the first version which comes with a GUI and doesn't need any configuration. The wget tool is also no longer necessary.

Now you can
  • back-up your URL presets to a file, enabling you to revert to these presets at any time by just double-clicking the back-up file,
  • copy presets from one SoundBridge to another on the fly.
Because of the improved functionality I changed the name to SB-sync...

Shreenshot:

Simply get it from

[deleted, please read on! new version released.]

unzip and enjoy.

As with the last version, I would very much like to hear from you. Any kind of feedback welcome!

fm.72
    Last edited by fm.72 on Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.