Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vincen11
Topic Author

Any WFAN working URL's

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:28 pm

wish they would quit messing around with the url.! Anyone have a working one???

gcd0865

Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:16 pm

I've been trying to find this myself, both for WFAN and other similar stations, but no luck thus far. As you probably already know, WFAN is one of a number of CBS-owned stations that have switched over to the "Stream The World" streaming protocol, which has its own specialized popup player. Unfortunately, this player completely hides the underlying direct url for the stream, and I've been checking multiple message boards where nobody seems to be able to find the direct urls, even with various snooper programs.

The unfortunate side effect is that without the direct feed url, those of us with Roku's, other types of standalone internet audio players and smartphones can't listen to any of their stations. Wonder if CBS knows that by switching to this streaming protocol, they've just chopped off accessibility by all these other devices that are rapidly gaining popularity.

Bob l.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:01 am

[quote="gcd0865"]I've been trying to find this myself, both for WFAN and other similar stations, but no luck thus far. As you probably already know, WFAN is one of a number of CBS-owned stations that have switched over to the "Stream The World" streaming protocol, which has its own specialized popup player. Unfortunately, this player completely hides the underlying direct url for the stream, and I've been checking multiple message boards where nobody seems to be able to find the direct urls, even with various snooper programs.

The unfortunate side effect is that without the direct feed url, those of us with Roku's, other types of standalone internet audio players and smartphones can't listen to any of their stations. Wonder if CBS knows that by switching to this streaming protocol, they've just chopped off accessibility by all these other devices that are rapidly gaining popularity.[/quote]

adams888

CBS Blocking Roku WFAN WCBS due to Piracy Concerns

Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:47 pm

The following messages were relayed to my father-in-law by CBS after we both lost our links to WFAN and WCBS and he emailed them to ask what was going on. Apparently, they are concerned with piracy. They do say they are willing to speak with Roku about licensing but I don't know what that means in terms of dollars. RokuMike? Any chance of doing something to help? :(

CBS Message I:

Thank you for your email.

CBS has changed their technology to our special flash encoding.

Also: Due to CBS having to place Anti-Piracy measures into place... You can only listen to the stream from the station's Home Page.

All the best.

CBS support

CBS Message 2:

Regretfully... This new technology actually increases our "overall" audience.

We appreciate you spending a lot of money on your Roku equipment.

If you know somebody in their R&D Dept... We are more than willing to speak with them and license to them the proper rights for their product to recieve our stream.

Best regards,

CBS support