Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

lynton
Topic Author

KFI gone?

Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:22 am

KFI in L.A. has disappeared at the end of June and I need help to find it again if they are using a new url please
:(

Andy_W

Re: KFI gone?

Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:12 am

lynton wrote:
KFI in L.A. has disappeared at the end of June and I need help to find it again if they are using a new url please
:(

This is another Clear Channel station like Z100 NY. You need a US IP address to get on the website player. I have tried on every forum I can think of to find a URL format. The URL in the website stand alone player is hidden in a flash stream.

If anyone has any ideas I would also be grateful.

lynton
Topic Author

KFI

Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Need someone in the USA to use Roku Sniffer to get the url

dkomeshak

Re: KFI

Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:34 pm

lynton wrote:
Need someone in the USA to use Roku Sniffer to get the url

Try this. It seems to work for me.

http://65.121.214.77:80/D/464/19771/v00 ... WMExt=.asf

lynton
Topic Author

KFI

Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:05 pm

URL wont work
Thanks anyway

bunghole

KFI works here! For now at least!

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:48 pm

lynton
Topic Author

KFI

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:57 pm

Yes it works at the moment. Hope it still works tomorrow

Thanks alot

lynton
Topic Author

KFI

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:56 pm

It Stopped. The url no longer works.

bunghole

Works This Morning! For How Long?

Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:22 pm

lynton
Topic Author

KFI URL Not Working

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:56 pm

The above URL auth.code keeps changing.
Need to find a clean stream with the auth.code removed.
It seems to be working similar to XM radio on the web but free to users in USA.
Not looking good...

gcd0865

Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:02 am

Read on another board that all of these Clear Channel stations now use some kind of "digital key" which is newly activated in their pop-up player each time you use it. It's intended to force you to use only their pop-up player to view the advertising associated with it. Without the digital key being sensed somehow by the server, the stream won't play.

Wonder if they know how many people are listening through devices other than computers now, and that a large chunk of their audience is completely shut out by this. At least CBS finally realized what was going on, and provided alternate streams for the ever-growing group of listeners like us...

wthom100

Response From KFI On URL Request

Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:30 am

Knowing that I could no longer tune into the URL I recently wrote to KFI requesting a direct URL so that people can listen to the station with Roku (or other) players. I received the following response from the KFI webmaster :

"The problem you are having may be related to the fact that Clear Channel Radio recently transitioned their Terrestrial Radio streams over to secured streaming with Akamai. The purpose of secure streaming is to protect the intellectual property by prohibiting direct linking to the stream publishing url. These new secured streams will require token generation and authentication directly through the player.
I apologize...there is not a direct link I can give you".

Based on the above note, I am not sure there is work-around. I did mention in my note to them that many people will likely not be able to listen conveniently (sp?) anymore. Not sure what happens next - KFI is the one of the most listened to stations in southern california - also they have large out-of-market listenership. It is an entertaining station to listen to - I hope there is some solution

gcd0865

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:19 am

It doesn't look like there's anything we can do to get these Clear Channel stations like KFI for now. Perhaps, as they begin to realize all the people listening on non-computer devices, like Rokus, Sonos, Recivas, Squeezeboxes, various smartphones and other devices, they'll get smart like CBS did, and provide compatible streams.

So, I'm already switching to other stations. Found out yesterday that Leo Laporte's "Tech Guy" radio show, which I enjoy on KFI weekly, is also on several non-Clear Channel stations that also stream online:

WMAL 630 AM - Saturdays 2PM-4PM ET; Sundays 8PM-9PM ET
KBBW 1010 AM - Saturdays 1PM-4PM CT
KGO 810 AM - Sundays 11AM-1PM PT
WFTL 850 AM - Sundays 2PM-5PM ET

Perhaps some of the other shows heard on KFI can also be found elsewhere. I agree that KFI is a very good station; too bad they chose this route for their streaming.

gcd0865

Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:42 am

One more thing - got a chuckle out of the quote from the KFI webmaster:

"The purpose of secure streaming is to protect the intellectual property by prohibiting direct linking to the stream publishing url."

What a bunch of stuff - the result is the same, whether you have to log in to access the stream, or you just access it directly.

Everybody knows that the three main purposes of secure streaming are: (1) to allow for subscription/pay-based streaming, like Major League Baseball does; (2) to ensure that all users are forced to view/hear the advertising on the popup player before the audio stream begins, and any additional advertising on the popup player while the audio stream is playing; and (3) to collect demographic information and listening habits on their listeners (since you often have to provide information to get an initial account), for their own station rating evaluations and advertising targeting, and to sell to other companies for other advertising purposes.

Couldn't resist commenting on this...

lynton
Topic Author

free radio

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:03 pm

The new name for Clear Channel is CLOSED CHANNEL