Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tjmartin

BBC Radio 1 Now Working with new Beta Firmware

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:51 am

Hello Lyndon,

I can confirm that the beta firmware has made a difference and I can now get Radio 1 - which I have not been able to receive since Fri / Sat,

Many thanks to everyone involved.

Cheers
Tim

Loony Jetman

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:57 am

Can you tell me where I find the beta?

tjmartin

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:59 am

Beta - Use the instructions at.. http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundb ... ware/beta/

Cheers
Tim

Loony Jetman

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:12 am

Sorry, yes I found it.

Have loaded the upgrade, and I'm afraid I still can't play Radio 4.

Bivvy

Hooray!

Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:25 pm

Updated the software and we now have Chris Moyles back for breakfast! Thanks :D

Quick Note - we have a Pinnacle M1001 so had to follow the wired instructions (WIFI procedure for the Pinnacle Soundbridge Homemusic did not work, so reverted to wired procedure). Might help if this was made clearer in the BETA instructions.

Thanks again.

Ralfi

BBC still not working

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:26 am

Hi,

I upgrade to .45 version yesterday evening. But I still cannot receive BBC Radio 4. My soundbridge is located outside the UK. Can this be the problem? Does anyone outside the UK receive Radio 1-4?

Ralfi

Loony Jetman

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:45 am

No Ralfi, I can't get it to work either.

I've decided to try and get it to work using AlienBBC and Slimserver, but although my Soundbridge Radio can see the Slimserver, it can't connect.

Can anyone from Roku shed more light on this? I'd be interested to know why an Acoustic Energy player outside the UK can play BBC stations, but the Roku players can't. I bought my Soundbridge Radio solely to play BBC stations, so I'm quite tempted to try and change over!

bpa

Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:42 am

Acoustic Energy (and similar radio which are built using Receiva technology) connects using RealAudio whereas Roku uses WMA.

The RealAudio streams are available worldwide but the WMA streams are still only trial service but BBC have hinted that they will be UK only as only UK residents pay the BBC license fee.

Loony Jetman

Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:50 pm

Thanks for this, very helpful. Sounds like this is going to be a non-starter then, and I should go and buy the Acoustic Energy radio.

Pretty annoying though - I'm from the UK and would happily pay the licence fee now if it meant I could receive the radio, but I guess it would be too much hassle for them to implement e.g. a password system so you could prove you were a fee payer.

alt_roku
Topic Author

Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:09 am

This must still be a BBC issue but only affecting some localities.

I've tried everything, including bypassing my router and trying with both PC and Soundbridge direct into modem with no luck on either PC or Soundbridge. I also tried the .45 Beta upgrade with no advantage.

Friends of mine can pick up the WMA streams only a few miles away but, as said before, although I can pick up any other WMA stream inc BBC Radio 5, 6, 7 I can't get BBC Radio 1-4 on WMA (Real is fine).

I've emailed the BBC helpdesk, but have been informed that they do not normally respond personally to problems.

Perhaps all other UK residents with the same issue should inform the BBC, maybe this will make them check it out?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/help/faq/cant_hear_anything.shtml
Follow the link at the botoom of the above, that reads "If you still cannot find an answer to your question please click here to contact us"

Incidently, it seems the error message on the BBC radio player has been downgraded, such that they now think the problems only lie with "listen again" clearly this is not true!

sladeywadey

Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:31 am

FYI I've just upgraded the firmware on my Homemusic device to the latest beta (3.0.45), rebooted the unit and then tried connecting to Radio One via the RadioRoku website (http://www.radioroku.com/stationdetail.php?sid=182) and after a period of trying to connect, it works. It does look like it can take quite a while to connect to the radio streams but they do work once the firmware is upgraded.

I'm in the UK also (England).

Good Luck!

scarlton

Pretty Dissapointing.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:36 pm

I bought the Roku last week specifically to listen to BBC. Even after downloading the patch I cannot listen to radio 2 or 4 which are the channels I want.

Feel a bit ripped off at this point especiually as Roku doesn't seem to want to explain why this is happening. From reading this forum it seems that the issue is that BBC uses RealMedia and Roku doesn't support these streams so I don't see how a patch would work. :cry:
Stephen Carlton

sladeywadey

Re: Pretty Dissapointing.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:52 am

scarlton wrote:
I bought the Roku last week specifically to listen to BBC. Even after downloading the patch I cannot listen to radio 2 or 4 which are the channels I want.

Feel a bit ripped off at this point especiually as Roku doesn't seem to want to explain why this is happening. From reading this forum it seems that the issue is that BBC uses RealMedia and Roku doesn't support these streams so I don't see how a patch would work. :cry:

Feeling a bit ripped off is a bit strong IMO. If that was the case then why is it that mine is working OK? I can listen to all the BBC feeds after updating the firmware (I'm listening to radio 2 as I type). How long are you leaving the device to connect to the streams? Mine took approx 2 mins to connect to the Radio Two stream this morning.

mr rusty

Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:46 am

Just upgraded to the latest beta 3.0.45 and now get the bbc stations again.

Loony Jetman

Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:38 pm

Hey scarlton, I had the same problem. I went and bought an Acoustic Energy Wi-Fi radio at the weekend and it works perfectly on all BBC radio channels (including the "Listen Again" streams!). It's excellent.

If you can get a refund on your Roku player you might want to do the same.

I'm not based in the UK, by the way.