Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jackdemcak
Topic Author

SoundBridge M1001 Audio Dropout

Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:32 pm

I listen to my M1001 continuously about 10 to 15 hours per day. It is direct connected to the Internet and rarely has to rebuffer.

I was concerned that about once every two months, or so, the unit would suddenly drop its audio output -- the visualizer display continuing to show movement, but the unit being silent. The unit returns to normal after a restart. I was advised on this forum that this was normal and I should not worry that my M1001 was about to fail. Although I don't like it, I can accept an occasional reboot to "freshen up" the M1001's software and memory.

This week, however, I suffered three audio drop out failures. The last two failures occurring one day apart. This could be a statisical anomoly, or it could indicate some impending failure.

Do you have any advice?

Thank you -- Jack D.

alanmc

Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:03 am

As regards this well-known issue with M1001s: of the four that I still own, two never seem to show this problem, one has such failures about every 6 weeks or so, and the other one now develops this problem at least once per week -

Strangely, whilst it is considered necessary to place a SoundBridge into “standby-modeâ€

jackdemcak
Topic Author

Soundbridge M1001 Audio Dropout

Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:46 am

Thank you alanmc for your response. I have also unplugged the unit and it reboots to its previous state and continues operating normally.

I was hoping someone found a cure or a simple workaround for this annoying problem.

My workaround uses a Logitech Harmony 880 programmable remote control. I programmed it to send the menu command sequence to force a reboot. When the M1001 stops playing I can now get it back on line without leaving the comfort of my favorite listening chair.

Jack D

alanmc

Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:29 pm

Hi Jack D,

I can truly understand that 'life can be a bitch' for you to have to strain yourself to lift your Harmony 880 programmable remote control once every 6 weeks or so, and force yourself to press a button whilst relaxing without leaving the comfort of your favourite listening chair. You have my sympathies - You take it easy now :wink:

Happy New Year, Alan

S80_UK

Re: Soundbridge M1001 Audio Dropout

Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:07 am

jackdemcak wrote:
I was hoping someone found a cure or a simple workaround for this annoying problem.

Hi,

Not having an M1001 I cannot speak from personal experience, but some people found that adding ferrites to the power and / or audio leads made a difference. The theory being that the audio DAC implementation in the M1001 may be very susceptible to external interference carried into the unit via the cables.

See these threads...

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=15983

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=10473

Hope this may help.

Les.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

alanmc

Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:24 pm

@ Les - as regards the use of ferrites:

Just for the record, I always use audio cables that have ferrites moulded into the cables approx 75mm prior to the plug, and I also fitted ferrite-rings (approx 30mm diameter) to all the Maplin “L45BLâ€

S80_UK

Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:02 pm

alanmc wrote:
As previously mentioned earlier in this thread, whilst 2 units never give this problem, and 1 only very infrequently, the other one (which incidentally happens to be on a shared circuit fed from an APC 1000watt UPS) regularly fails . . . . and yes, before you ask, I have swapped the location to see if that was the cause - to me, it seems as if it's an internal component problem . . . . but I'm no Techie :wink:

Hi Alan,

I think your diagnosis sounds quite plausible. But it could also be a design/component issue which is made worse in the presence of external noise, and on the basis of what others have reported, I'd say that a couple of clip-on ferrites may still be worth trying.

One of these days I'll get hold of an M1001 and have a closer look.

Les.

alanmc

Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:05 am

@ Les

Whilst of course bowing to your long-standing technical knowledge, for the benefit of all of us with limited knowledge about such filters can you please advise on the best types to use in this type of requirement:
Clamp-style or Ring? . . . . and does the diameter or length of the tube make much of a difference?

Thanks, Alan

jackdemcak
Topic Author

M1001 Audio Drop Out Problem

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:25 pm

I hate to rain on the electromagnetic parade, but I am connected via TOSLink Optical cable.

Now that I think about it, I believe the audio drop out problem was exacerbated when I replaced my AV receiver and started using the optical connection. Hmmm -- the plot thickens.

Thanks to all who responded.

Jack D.

S80_UK

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:36 pm

jackdemcak wrote:
I hate to rain on the electromagnetic parade, but I am connected via TOSLink Optical cable

Hmm - that is the best way from the electro-magnetic interference point of view. But it doesn't exclude the DC lead from the mains block as a possible source (if interference is the problem in this case).

@ Alan,

My preference would be to try the clip-on type like these...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32799 - try part number N95AB

The solid type that you thread the cable through may be marginally better but as long as the two halves go together without a gap then there's not much to choose (and you can move them, use them elsewhere, etc). If possible, loop the cable through more than once since that will increase the effectiveness. It has to be said that Maplin are not cheap, but at least they are accessible.

See also here for another source...

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Filters-Suppression/Ferrite-Components/Snap-on-ferrite-cores/68048/kw/ferrites