Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ausseemaid
Topic Author

Air America url

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:39 am

I am unable to play Air America on soundbridge although it plays on PC. It has always played on Soundbridge until the past few days. Have tried updating through the guide but to no avail. Is there a new URL?

dupondt

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:18 am

Hi ausseemaid,

it seems as though there's something in Air America's stream that the SoundBridge doesn't like (or Air America doesn't like the SoundBridge any more). It plays for one second and then reconnects. This may be a technical issue on the station's side or a deliberate setup to exclude streaming boxes.

There are at least two local affiliates of Air America within Radio Roku which you could try to listen to:

KDXE 1380 AM Little Rock, AR (Radio Roku ID # 16273)
KTNF 950 AM Minneapolis, MN (Radio Roku ID # 17084)

Greetings
dupondt
(Radio Roku Moderator)
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

dueport

Me too!

Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:24 am

I'm having the exact same problem. I talked with Bob at air america tech support and he said that they recently turned off an old windows media stream. Up until then, soundbridge worked great using that old stream's URL. However, when I pull up the new stream url I have the same trouble. The stream starts and stops. Bob said that the new stream is a variable bit rate mp3 stream. It works fine using itunes when you enter the url. Can Roku please try and work with air america to identify why the soundbridge is having trouble with the new stream? I'm sure there's some simple setting that needs to be changed on their end. Or maybe there's a bug in the Roku firmware? Maybe you guys can help them ID what is causing the problem - it does seem to be specific to the Roku Soundbridge's ability to listen to the stream.

You said we should listen to the other air america stations that do work but these are different - they are local affiliates and don't carry the same programming as the official national stream.

We just bought a second soundbridge for my mom for christmas to listen to air america and now it isn't working....PLEASE work with air america to figure out why the sound bridge isn't working. Bob's email at air america is: aarsupport@gmail.com. Thank you!

ausseemaid
Topic Author

Air America url

Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:41 am

I also corresponded with Air America people. Yes, the issue is that the other stations do not carry many programs, such as Lionel. It would be great if Roku techs coud work with Air America techs who have been very responsive, Thank you.

dupondt

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:40 am

Hi ausseemaid,
hi dueport,

it is very unlikely that the failure of Air America on the SoundBridge is primarily caused by a bug in the firmware, as other internet radio devices using completely different hardware and software (for example Reciva) cannot play this station, either. This is exactly what I told Bob of Air America, but I haven't yet received any further comments from him on this issue.

Greetings
dupondt
(Radio Roku Moderator)

ausseemaid
Topic Author

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:43 am

Thanks for the reply. Hope this gets resolved soon.

dueport

work with air america

Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:43 am

Bob has been very responsive to us - have you tried contacting him recently on this issue? Can you try to walk through their stream's settings to ID what could be causing this problem? Can you think of a workaround (other than listening to the affiliates) that would allow us to listen to air america on the roku soundbridge again?

dupondt

Re: work with air america

Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:07 am

dueport,

Bob has been very responsive to us - have you tried contacting him recently on this issue?

Bob and I exchanged several emails some days ago.

Can you try to walk through their stream's settings to ID what could be causing this problem?

I always do that before contacting a station causing problems. There are no obvious abnormalities with Air America's stream, my suspicion is that their streaming server is configured in a way that causes these problems with streaming boxes. Winamp, BTW, has intermittent problems to synchronise with the stream, too, which is a clear indication that Air America's IceCast server is misconfigured.

Can you think of a workaround (other than listening to the affiliates) that would allow us to listen to air america on the roku soundbridge again?

Unfortunately no, unless you are prepared to set up a Shoutcast server on your computer.

Greetings
dupondt
(Radio Roku Moderator)

bobdrummond

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi guys. This is Bob from Air America. I think we can get this situation fixed soon, but let me tell you what I know of the situation so far.

We had a windows media stream running that I honestly think everyone forgot about. We didn't publish the link, but I think that is what Roku users and users of other standalone stream devices were using. This stream was active for months until the end of December 08 when it was taken down. I'm not sure who did that. I'll try to find out.

Our main stream seems to cause trouble for Roku and certain other devices. It is a variable bit-rate MP3 stream, and it does work in most free software players (iTunes, Windows Media Player, Winamp, etc...)

I will try to get the winmedia stream running again or another compatible stream. But I would also like to know why the MP3 stream doesn't work with Roku and other devices. I know of one person who recently lost the winmedia stream and got the MP3 version to work with his SONOS system.

Here are the links to to MP3 stream. Try them out, and let me know what happens:

http://aarlive.voxcdn.com/live.m3u

or, more directly,

http://cast.voxcdn.net:8000/live

ausseemaid
Topic Author

Air America

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi Bob,
These are the ones I have tried and als they no longer work. So pleased you are working on this,
Kerrie

dupondt

Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi Bob,

welcome to the forums and many thanks for the information.

Here's a short list of my test results and a report I had from a friend:

http://cast.voxcdn.net:8000/live (which is the URL used in Radio Roku) doesn't work on

- the SoundBridge,
- the DNT IP-dio (a Reciva based radio),
- the Pure Evoke Flow (presumably Frontier Silicon based).

The SoundBridge connects, buffers, plays a garbled sound (probably reflecting the changing bitrates) for approx. half a second and then reconnects. This happens over and over again. If I try http://aarlive.voxcdn.com/live.m3u the SoundBridge doesn't connect, but endlessly sits on "Connecting to station".

The DNT IP-dio connects, buffers, plays a garbled sound (probably reflecting the changing bitrates) for one or two seconds, tries to rebuffer but stays at 0%, and then endlessly tries to reconnect. The same applies if I try to play http://aarlive.voxcdn.com/live.m3u.

The report I had from a friend simply said that the Pure Evoke Flow doesn't play, I have no further details on the behaviour of the device.

The SoundBridge supports MP3 VBR when playing media files over the local network, and I think MP3 VBR is supported in internet radio mode, too. The same applies to the DNT IP-dio.

BTW: The WMA stream URL you were using was http://winmedia.voxcdn.net/aar. But instead of setting that up again, wouldn't it be easier to run an MP3 CBR stream?

Greetings
dupondt
(Radio Roku Moderator)

lottirj

Could piggybacked advertisement affect the Stream?

Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:21 am

Hi Bob,

Thank you for addressing this issue in the forum. I'd like to add some additional information. Besides the Soundbridge, I also own a Nokia N800 Internet tablet which uses a Linux based operating system and it plays the two new streams fine. One thing I've noticed using the Nokia; the original stream that played fine on the Soundbridge (http://winmedia.voxcdn.net/aar) did not contain any advertisements piggybacked on the stream. The two new streams, you mentioned to try, do. Flash based players (the Nokia and probably PCs) seem to handle the advertisements fine and do not have a problem playing the new streams. Could the advertisements somehow affect the playing of the stream on the Soundbridge? Just a thought.

Regards,
Bob Lotti

ksmillerr99

Re: Air America url

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:07 am

ausseemaid wrote:
I also corresponded with Air America people. Yes, the issue is that the other stations do not carry many programs, such as Lionel. It would be great if Roku techs coud work with Air America techs who have been very responsive, Thank you.

I'm also a Lionel fan who cannot find a live feed, but I found a "Best Of Lionel" on Sunday mornings that works on the SoundBridge: http://www.am1090seattle.com/pages/415641.php

Kevin

dupondt

Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:22 am

Hi folks,

you will find AM 1090 on your SoundBridges as KPTK 1090 AM Seattle, WA (Radio Roku ID # 15911). Searching for KPTK will bring it up.

Greetings and happy listening

dupondt
(Radio Roku Moderator)

dueport

Update

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:58 am

I wrote Bob, at Air America, yesterday to find out what the status of their fix is. He reported: "our stream provider is working on a secondary stream that should work." I hope they get this fixed soon!