Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

John_I
Topic Author

Stations used to play, now don't on SB, still play on PC

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:42 pm

I have a couple of stations that used to play in my SoundBridge but no longer will. They still play in Media Player on a PC.

Here are the links:

http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

and

http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen80s.asx

Is there any hope of getting these to play again on the SoundBridge?

Thanks.

dupondt

Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:15 am

Hi John_I,

welcome to the forums.

Bad luck: both streams are Windows Media Audio 10 Professional which is not supported by the SoundBridge.

Greetings
dupondt
(Radio Roku Moderator)
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

John_I
Topic Author

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.

Any idea if support will be added in the future?

I bought the SoundBridge so I wouldn't have to have a PC running just to listen to some favorite stations.

alanmc

Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:54 am

Apologies if it appears that I’m trying to hi-jack this thread –
But I’d like to suggest that there’s no reason why you should not contact the ‘Station Manager’ to check if they would be prepared to issue you with an unpublished MP3 stream URL that many stations have . . . . I have two such stream URLs in my presets for stations that only list/publish RealAudio availability.

Regarding support for WMA 10 Pro being provided for SoundBridges by Roku in the firmware, IMHO the fact that no development work has surfaced in the last couple of years for such things as RTSP, AAC+, etc is an indication that this is dead-in-the-water.

dupondt

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:09 am

John_I,

I strongly support my very good friend Alan's suggestion that you contact My Free Net Radio and ask for a codec change. Sometimes that helps.

However, even if Roku were willing to further enhance the firmware of the SoundBridge, support for WMA 10 Pro presumably could not be added as there is no decoder available for the Blackfin processor used in the SoundBridges. The same applies to FLAC.

RTSP, AAC+ and OGG of course are completely different stories.

Greetings
dupondt

S80_UK

Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:40 am

dupondt wrote:
However, even if Roku were willing to further enhance the firmware of the SoundBridge, support for WMA 10 Pro presumably could not be added as there is no decoder available for the Blackfin processor used in the SoundBridges. The same applies to FLAC.

Hi Dupondt,

I am sorry to correct you - but since FLAC is open source, they could have added it at any time if they wanted (Reciva did this in 2007, initially for Roberts). The reality, I assume, is that the benefit to Roku in terms of new sales was less than the effort of integrating the algorithm, and perhaps that there was insufficient space in the Flash memory (especially in some of the older SoundBridge units).

Either way - you are right to say that none of this seems likely to happen now. Which is a real shame, and a source of continued frustration for all of us.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

dupondt

Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:50 am

Hi S80_UK,

whilst Reciva are relatively free to add decoders to their own Barracuda based system working with Linux*) it is my understanding that Roku are depending on Analog Devices to provide decoders for the Blackfin platform. And ADI do not offer a FLAC decoder.

Another problem of course might be the processing power of the ADSP-BF531 used in the SoundBridge. The OGG Vorbis decoder for example according to ADI requires eiter a BF527, BF533, BF537 or BF548.

Greetings
dupondt

*) Of course there are limits, due to the lack of processing power, for example, they cannot integrate WMA Voice, WMA Lossless and WMA 10 Pro.

S80_UK

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi Dupondt,

My point was simply that FLAC is written in C, and should be transportable to many platforms including Blackfin. It does not require Linux. Even if Roku required ADI (or other third parties) to provide some decoders, I would be surprised if they were forced into that position unless the main software was also based on an ADI proprietary framework (who knows?). FLAC also requires much less processing than Ogg Vorbis, which requires floating point (unless using Tremor, I think).

Anyway, it's immaterial now - it won't happen no matter how much we might like any of the many requested developments. :cry:
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i