bac522
Topic Author

Error connecting to mysql

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:43 am

Trying to connect to Radio Roku, getting "Error connecting to mysql"

alanmc

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:13 am

So here's the solution to this annoying problem:
"FlexbridgeRadio" (visit http://www.flexbridgeradio.com/)
You can be secure in the knowledge that you can save both your Presets & Favourites locally to your PC to play even when the Radio Roku server is down :wink:

droletbe

FlexbridgeRadio

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:28 am

alanmc wrote:
You can be secure in the knowledge that you can save both your Presets & Favourites locally to your PC to play even when the Radio Roku server is down :wink:

But it does require Radio Roku to start (it asks me if Radio Roku is down). So for me, as I have nothing saved on PC yet, it is not very useful. :(

Anybody knows if Radio Roku will be back ?

Bernard

alanmc

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:17 pm

I would have thought that you didn't need to have the brains of a Rocket Scientist to appreciate that if you wish to use data on your PC then you actually need to save it to the PC first :roll:

bac522
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:15 am

alanmc wrote:

I use Linux so that doesn't help me one bit since the software is windows only. Any word on when radio roku will be back up? I use it at work so that I can listen to some of my stations on my Linux machine. I know that Roku is dumping support for soundbridge, sad if Radio Roku follows, but I suspect that's going to happen.

droletbe

Agreed

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:39 am

alanmc wrote:
I would have thought that you didn't need to have the brains of a Rocket Scientist to appreciate that if you wish to use data on your PC then you actually need to save it to the PC first :roll:

I agree I am not a Rocket Scientist. Just a Computer Scientist, so the concept that you need to have the data in your hands before starting using it is pretty clear in my poor "not rocket scientist" brain :idea: .

The way your comment was written : "this is the solution to this annoying problem", I wrongly thought that you were suggestion a solution to the annoying problem that radioroku was down. I thought, that the FlexbridgeRadio was an alternative to RadioRoku; a solution to the problem we actually have. Not simply an interface to let you save on the PC what is available from RadioRoku. And as RadioRoku is actually dead, it is not very helpful for guys like me who were not aware of that software before. :cry:

Anyway, if ever RadioRoku is back, I will make sure I use that tool to save my favorites. I cross my fingers !

Bernard

alanmc

Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:36 pm

@ droletbe

as one of the ex beta testers for this software let me assure you that you'll find it offers you far more than merely a back-up of both your Presets and Favourites.
I use it installed on an 8Gb USB-stick and have also installed a couple of thousand MP3 tracks saved as various playlists on same so as to create a 'mobile jukebox' for mobile use - (yes, I can thus play RadioRoku from my office with the USB-stick taking the place of a SoundBridge).

Enjoy - Cheers, Alan :wink:

DJans

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:56 pm

Flexradio is no solution for me. Only for selecting internet radio stations I do not like that my PC must be running the whole day when listening internet radio.

A good solution should be if Flexradio will be offered for the LINUX of some NAS system.

For those of you running a NAS and using Twonky UPNP server: It it possible to connect via Twonkyvision to internet radio. But this is a nightmare of configuration...

StarTechRadio

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:59 pm

@ DJans

You obviously have never used and thus know absolutely nothing about FlexBridgeRadio – it is not intended to be a replacement for a Soundbridge when the RadioRoku server is operational, this software is a fantastic tool to support the Soundbridge when their server has failed.

Additionally, I also chose to install it on a USB pen-drive as mentioned by alanmc so that I could take the little pen-drive to work and listen to RadioRoku just as if it were a Soundbridge. Very simple, very convenient and worth it’s weight in gold

bac522
Topic Author

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:19 pm

Wow..."holy thread hijack batman!"

Anyway...noticed Radio Roku is backup so I'm happy!