Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dupondt
Topic Author

BBC streaming policy changes (1 March 2015)

Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:53 am

As of 1 March 2015 the BBC has switched off its WMA streams and migrated all of its stations to AAC streamed over HTTP Live Streaming, a format and protocol not supported by the SoundBridges.

At the same time the BBC started providing MP3 streams which are compatible with the SoundBridges.

All BBC stations listed in Radio Roku have been updated and should play on the SoundBridges.

While this is good news for all BBC listeners, there's also some bad news:

a) According to the BBC's Jim Simmons the MP3 streams will only be available for another year or two. Once these streams will have been switched off, the BBC's stations won't be available on the SoundBridges any more and there will be no way to get them back.

b) At the moment only the international streams are available as MP3. These streams don't contain sport or other rights restricted material, therefore you won't be able to listen to such content even if you live in the UK. According to the BBC's Andrew Scott this might change in the future, but there's no concrete timeline.

c) The MP3 streams seem to be less reliable than the WMA streams so re-buffering might occur from time to time.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

ajs6000

Re: BBC streaming policy changes (1 March 2015)

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi,

I have successfully changed my Roku M2000 presets to play all the new BBC Audio Factory HLS 320kbs streams via MinimServer/streamer. This is only possible if you have a seperate server/NAS to run MinimServer/Streamer software. I used the Minimstreamer addon to transcode the HLS (aac lc) streams to MP3 320kbs (this was the only format the M2000 would accept). I've only tried the UK streams as I live in the UK. However, there are also international HLS feeds that should also work via this route.

See the Minimstreamer homepage for specific guides:

http://minimstreamer.com/

Hope this helps anyone left with these classic products!