Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FoodChainTV
Visitor

Error: Unable to download from feedURL

Ok, so trying to update my channel to DP, I have the whole list checked off, except for the FEED URL Status.. I get the following error:

Unable to download from feedUrl

This is my feed URL... I can't figure out what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feed URL:
http://www.foodchaintv.com/testing/xml/FCTVfeed.json
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Error: Unable to download from feedURL

It works for me. I tried that url, and I see:

The service is still processing your feed. Please check back again for updated status.

Which is normal, and can take up to an hour of two for "processing".

I suggest you keep trying.
0 Kudos
FoodChainTV
Visitor

"belltown" wrote:

The service is still processing your feed. Please check back again for updated status.

Hi Belltown,
Are you talking about the FEED URL page or the FEED STATUS page? The FEED URL page accepts the URL, but the FEED STATUS page is the problem.
Here is a screenshot:
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Yes, when I tried it the first time, the Feed Url page accepted the Url, and the Feed Status page gave the "processing" message.

I tried it again just now, and this time I got 2 occurrences of the "Unable to download from feedUrl." message on the Feed Status page.

I uploaded it to my GitHub site. This time it accepted the Feed Url again, and gave the "processing" message on the Feed Status page. After a while, when I refreshed, it gave some different errors about problems with the 2 video urls and the thumbnails.

I expanded out the shortened urls you were using to their full Vimeo urls. This time it accepted the video urls. However, there were errors with your thumbnail images. One of them does not seem to be an exact 16:9 aspect ratio (although it did not flag it as an error). However, The Chinese Style Chicken Feet image isn't even an actual image file.

So I think one problem is that it needs the full Vimeo url, not a shortened redirect url. I don't know anything about Vimeo, but there have been plenty of posts in these forums from Vimeo users about their experiences.

Unfortunately, the DP error messages are worthless about describing what the problem really is. Not having an automated system to "process" the feed doesn't help much either.
0 Kudos
mosafer
Roku Guru

In your feed, if the video url is pointing to m3u8 file it means that should be HLS

for the first entry this is the right format:
"shortFormVideos": [
   {
     "id": "peel garlic how to",
     "title": "How to Peel Garlic",
     "shortDescription": "In this video, you will learn the quickest way to peel garlic.",
     "thumbnail": "http://www.foodchaintv.com/testing/images/peelgarlictitle.jpg",
     "genres": [
       "food"
     ],
     "tags": [
       "food",
       "cooking",
       "garlic",
       "chef",
       "how to"
     ],
     "releaseDate": "2017-01-01",
     "content": {
       "dateAdded": "2017-04-21T14:14:54.431Z",
       "captions": [],
       "duration": 171,
       "adBreaks": [],
       "videos": [
         {
           "url": "https://....../210168156.m3u8?s=49f82eba72.......091b8799ed0f7c",
           "quality": "HD",
           "videoType": "HLS"
         }
       ]
     }
   }

I didn't check the other part but preparing the feed is pretty sensitive.
0 Kudos
FoodChainTV
Visitor

"mosafer" wrote:
In your feed, if the video url is pointing to m3u8 file it means that should be HLS

for the first entry this is the right format:
"shortFormVideos": [
   {
     "id": "peel garlic how to",
     "title": "How to Peel Garlic",
     "shortDescription": "In this video, you will learn the quickest way to peel garlic.",
     "thumbnail": "http://www.foodchaintv.com/testing/images/peelgarlictitle.jpg",
     "genres": [
       "food"
     ],
     "tags": [
       "food",
       "cooking",
       "garlic",
       "chef",
       "how to"
     ],
     "releaseDate": "2017-01-01",
     "content": {
       "dateAdded": "2017-04-21T14:14:54.431Z",
       "captions": [],
       "duration": 171,
       "adBreaks": [],
       "videos": [
         {
           "url": "https://....../210168156.m3u8?s=49f82eba72.......091b8799ed0f7c",
           "quality": "HD",
           "videoType": "HLS"
         }
       ]
     }
   }

I didn't check the other part but preparing the feed is pretty sensitive.

Thanks for this. I updated the the JSON file. The "videotype" was changed from MP4 to HLS for both video items, and got the error again.
Then, I changed the HTTPS in the video URL to HTTP, and got the same error again.
Then, I deleted the video URL and put in the short URL's (like this: http://goo.gl/sPOkKT) that I was using before (that work with the current channel), and got the error again.
Then, I went back to the FEED URL page and changed the video format drop down menu choice from MP4, to HLS. That did not make a difference. Got the error again.
Then, I went back to the FEED URL page and changed the video format drop down menu to SPECIFIED IN FEED, and got the same error again.
Any other ideas?
0 Kudos
mosafer
Roku Guru

Did you start from scratch? or you tried to change your existing channel SDK to DP?
I have an idea. would you try to test your feed to build a new DP channel and see if it's working there or not.
0 Kudos
FoodChainTV
Visitor

"mosafer" wrote:
Did you start from scratch? or you tried to change your existing channel SDK to DP?
I have an idea. would you try to test your feed to build a new DP channel and see if it's working there or not.

Yes, I have an SDK channel now, and I am trying to upgrade it to DP.
0 Kudos
mrkenak
Visitor

"FoodChainTV" wrote:
"belltown" wrote:

Hi Belltown,
Are you talking about the FEED URL page or the FEED STATUS page? The FEED URL page accepts the URL, but the FEED STATUS page is the problem.
Here is a screenshot:

I am having the same identical problem and I have no idea hw to fix it!
It has been almost a month now since my initial try and this is what I get when trying it now: Unable to download from feedUrl.: Exception Server returned HTTP response code: 406 for URL: http://theselfhelpemporium.com/rokutvbo ... /feed.json for 264355.pending.en
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Your feed URL points to what looks like a website and not a CDN (Content Delivery Network).  Make sure that you provide the correct permissions for outside access to your file(s).
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos