Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrichmond27
Channel Surfer

Splash and Background Images Won't Update

I've been trying to update our channel with a new splash image and background image. I'm able to upload the new images, and they show up fine in Direct Publisher's preview, but I can't get them to update on our Roku device.

I have tried twice now. Both times I also made other changes to our categories or layout at the same time that I updated the images. Both times the category and layout changes showed up on the Roku totally fine, but the new images will not show up. I have done several system updates on the Roku, I've restarted the device, and I even removed the channel and re-added it.

I also noticed that the channel version number isn't changing on the Roku. In Direct Publisher the version number started out at 7, and is now at version 11. On our Roku, it still says version 7, even though some of the category and layout changes are there.

I thought maybe the changes just weren't approved yet, but Direct Publisher says that my channel version 11 is published, and I received emails, stating that my changes have been published.

Anyone else having issues like this? Any ideas about how to get the images to update? 
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: Splash and Background Images Won't Update

Just a thought, did you try renaming the image altogether. In otherwords, don't call in logo.png again, or whatever. Try something like logo2.png or something. I know sometimes in web design there are issues with cache when its the same filename. 
0 Kudos
jrichmond27
Channel Surfer

"Pasnow" wrote:
Just a thought, did you try renaming the image altogether. In otherwords, don't call in logo.png again, or whatever. Try something like logo2.png or something. I know sometimes in web design there are issues with cache when its the same filename. 

Good idea. I'll give that a try.
My bad for assuming Roku would be smart enough to know that I uploaded a new image to their servers. :wink:
0 Kudos
jrichmond27
Channel Surfer

....oh nevermind...

I just checked, and the files were already named different than the previous ones. Nice try though!
0 Kudos
mosafer
Roku Guru

Did you try it on one Roku device? I noticed that some devices dealing with updates differently.
Try with Roku 3, Roku TV, Roku premier and Stick.
0 Kudos
jrichmond27
Channel Surfer

"mosafer" wrote:
Did you try it on one Roku device? I noticed that some devices dealing with updates differently.
Try with Roku 3, Roku TV, Roku premier and Stick.

I only have Roku 3 available. I do have two of those, though, so I'll try taking a look on the second one.
0 Kudos
mwilcko
Binge Watcher

Any solution? I have exact same issue. I am showing as having published version 20, but the Roku store shows version 15.
0 Kudos
donp88
Channel Surfer

What browser are you all using?
0 Kudos
jrichmond27
Channel Surfer

"mwilcko" wrote:
Any solution? I have exact same issue. I am showing as having published version 20, but the Roku store shows version 15.

Sorry, I've been busy. Haven't checked yet. I'll try to remember to check it tonight.

"donp88" wrote:
What browser are you all using?

I'm using the latest Google Chrome on Windows 10. 
0 Kudos
donp88
Channel Surfer

Seems like anytime I make edits/updates to anything on Roku Dev. it doesn't always take on Google Chrome, so I switched to using Mozilla Firefox and have a had better results.
If you have problems using Google Chrome, I suggest logging out and clearing your cache/cookies and then log back in and redo the changes.

Don't always expect instant results either.  Some changes update automatically and some take a little time before they show up. AND always, always use a test channel before publishing something live.

Another thing is to have other Devs test your channel for issues or changes to make sure it is not something going on with your device(s).
I would be happy to help test any channel or feed - Just IM me the info or shoot me an email at rokureadytv@gmail.com
0 Kudos