Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

shortFormVideo adBreaks

I've specified 5 adbreaks for a shortformVideo that's almost an hour.  The ads do not occur.  Are shortformVideos exempt from adbreaks, or, do I need to specify the content differently?

Here's the adbreak line in json....

],
                                                "dateAdded":  "2017-01-22T12:00:00+00:00",
                                                "adBreaks": [ "00:10:00", "00:20:00", "00:30:00", "00:40:00", "00:50:00" ]                                                
                                            },
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
mosafer
Roku Guru

Re: shortFormVideo adBreaks

ShoerFormVideo cannot play mid-roll adbreaks. only pre-roll is playing. I think when the content is "short video", it should be short, not one hour long.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Thanks for the reply.  I can appreciate that, but, why then, does the Content object that's embedded in the shortFormVideo allow adBreaks?  The spec does not specify that mid-roll adBreaks are only for non-shortFormVideo objects.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
mosafer
Roku Guru

There is a lot of errors in Docs and samples.
Look at blog post explaining monetization for DP:

Adding mid-roll ads

By default, channels built using Direct Publisher will display pre-roll ads. This should be sufficient for short-form videos. For other media types — such as movies or episodes — a publisher may want to optimize their content by adding mid-roll ads.

https://blog.roku.com/developer/2017/05 ... #more-1895
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Thanks for that.  I agree, the docs and the samples seem to be inconsistent with the overall design of DP.  There certainly are some discrepancies.
0 Kudos