Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
biztale
Streaming Star

How many ads Play till paid?

I am sure this question as been asked once before.. How many ads must be viewed before a payout takes place? is the ratio higher with more content. I had taken hiatus for a while, and now ready to engage my viewers once again.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5

Re: How many ads Play till paid?

My understanding is that you are paid once you reach $100 but payments are made quarterly.
0 Kudos
Zelkowo
Visitor

I've yet to publish a channel but would like to know some general info on ad's and their potential revenue.

- When you set an add to run in your content, how long will it run for?
- Is there a maximum number of adds you can run given your content duration?
- What is the revenue based on the 60/40 split with Roku, or does that very greatly depending on the adds that run on your channel / content?  

Thanks!
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

1. You don't choose the ads, Roku sells in bulk to advertisers. To some extent, they may choose categories (sports, education, news) but for the most part they are larger national chains. They fall where they may.
2. I don't think so, however as a viewer if I saw an ad 5 minutes after the last ad break I would probably turn it off. But I'm pretty sure there isn't a max. Advertisers likely put in for a maximum per month (something like $100K for lets say hypothetically a large fast food restaurant).  So, not every ad break in general is guaranteed to fill, otherwise these advertisers could end up paying out the wazoo.
3. They payout is I think $14 per 1,000 impressions. So every 1,000 ads shown on your channel, it earns $14, but then the 60/40 split comes into play.  TBH, for alot of us, it'll be peanuts. And again, don't think you can just shoehorn an indefinite amount of ads into your video, because there has to be advertisers willing to pay for it. Roku seems to have a limited client base, although it seems it's growing.
0 Kudos
biztale
Streaming Star

Actually that makes more sense. This is why I am working on building more content from scratch. Many channels work off the same content just packaged differently.
0 Kudos
RokuPam
Streaming Star

If you have detailed questions about ad-based channels, I'd recommend also checking out the Application Distribution Agreement you agreed to when signing up to create a Roku channel. You can find the full agreement here (check out section 5 in particular). 
0 Kudos