Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
purvin
Visitor

Streaming from private server with Direct Publisher

Hi

Is it possible to stream from a private server using Direct Publisher? I have the feed setup on a public server so that I can setup the channel from my Roku account. But the actual URL for the video needs to be on a private network. Currently I see this error: 3 items have error: Required video url is unreachable.

Anyway to stream from a private network?

Thanks
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
mkammes
Roku Guru

Re: Streaming from private server with Direct Publisher

Stream content from a private network to a public network?  

Unless the user is VPNed in, no...or, your network is setup to route traffic JUST TO the server that is serving up the media (a "tunnel").  Your firewall can be configured to allow traffic on that port.

Thats alot of work for a Direct Publish channel.  You'd be better severed trying to get something professionally coded against the API.

You can also make the channel private...e.g. "security through obscurity". 
0 Kudos
purvin
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

Just the feed (json) is public. The media will be on private networked and streamed within the private network.
0 Kudos
rovidx_media
Roku Guru

I would think no.   DP seems to check media url's to see if they are valid files, so if they are on a private server the system won't be able to see them and then return errors.

The only way I can see it working is for you to build an app with SDK2 instead of DP.   
Use Wordpress to power your Roku Direct Publisher (& other platforms) -> https://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
purvin
Visitor

Ya I noticed that it checks the URL and those are subsequently not available on the player. Thanks!
0 Kudos