Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cng222
Visitor

Adding a category

Has anyone else had trouble adding categories? In previous channels I'd set up it was much easier, I'd create a category, add a tag, press enter and save.
Now I can't even create the minimum one custom category. Any help would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Adding a category

MRSS or JSON feed?
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
cng222
Visitor

It's nothing to do with my feed. In Manage My Channels you click preview and update. After that you click categories and that's where I'm having my issue.

If it's any help it's a JSON feed.
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Actually, it may have something to do with your feed.  I've found that letting the JSON feed file control the categories works much better and provides greater control.  I, like others, had problems trying to use the portal to specify categories.  The portal processing seems klugy at times.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
cng222
Visitor

I've sorted it out. Thank you for your assistance.
0 Kudos
hertube
Visitor

I'm having a problem adding categories and also some of my sub-channels are not showing up in my channel.  I'm using direct publisher.  Any advice?

Thanks
Audrey
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Please give more specifics about your problem. Please provide your feed file for inspection.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Could be a few issues. Make sure the tag is on the movies in the feed, spelling & case I believe might count. Also make sure you have the category included thru the DP Checklist page, and include the tags that are to be within it there as well. Things like that, doubt its a Roku issue so you gotta be thorough & keep checking thru it. Also I think its limited to only 15 categories or something.
0 Kudos

I'm having this same issue. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

cdavis411

Trying to setup a channel but can't get past this category error "Your channel must include at least one custom category." I have read some of the above threads where people had a similar issue and then replied they solved/figured it out without sharing what their solution is. #badform 😄 

I am using a MRSS feed via BoxCast if that help.