Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lizaonair
Visitor

Google CDN for video and URL redirects in my feed doesn't work on real device

Hello! I have a valid feed here where I have 301 redirect via short links to proper video file hosted on Google CDN. Link works fine and I can play video on every computer and in any browser I have. In "Preview and Publish" section I have all options checked as fine. Standard MP4 files (H264 MPEG4 AVC PART10 avc1 - via VLC media info), regular bitrate, 720p. AAC sound. For some reason ROKU player won't play these files or can't open my URLs. Only I can see - Progress bar with "Retrieving" on the left and "Play Again" button on grey screen a few seconds later. How  I can debug it? Where I can get error messages, response codes or any other information? Thank you!
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
rovidx_media
Roku Guru

Re: Google CDN for video and URL redirects in my feed doesn't work on real device

When you say Google CDN, do you mean Google Drive or are you using one of their other products?   

If it's Google Drive, I was never able to make it work.  I assume this is the same issue that prevents Dropbox videos from working as well.   
Use Wordpress to power your Roku Direct Publisher (& other platforms) -> https://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Google CDN for video and URL redirects in my feed doesn't work on real device

I took a look at your feed. Your video urls resolve to a php program. The Json spec clearly states it should be the URL of your video file. The Roku box would need a php parser for this to work.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
lizaonair
Visitor

"Baradanikto" wrote:
I took a look at your feed. Your video urls resolve to a php program. The Json spec clearly states it should be the URL of your video file. The Roku box would need a php parser for this to work.

Sorry, what? Url follows to my web server where I have 301 redirect to exact file. Webserver can handle php, not the Roku. Click on the link and you get the file, not the script.
0 Kudos
lizaonair
Visitor

"rovidx_media" wrote:
When you say Google CDN, do you mean Google Drive or are you using one of their other products?   

If it's Google Drive, I was never able to make it work.  I assume this is the same issue that prevents Dropbox videos from working as well.   

Follow the one of my links to see final URL - https://lizaonair.com/apps/roku/video.php?hd=true&vid=Cb7fj-wA1eQ
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

From the Roku spec for JSON:

The URL of the video itself. The video should be served from a CDN (Content Distribution Network). Supported formats are described in Audio and Video Support.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
rovidx_media
Roku Guru

"Baradanikto" wrote:
From the Roku spec for JSON:

The URL of the video itself. The video should be served from a CDN (Content Distribution Network). Supported formats are described in Audio and Video Support.

That's not quite correct, you can use 301 redirects to the actually file.   I had setup a redirect to mask the URL's from Vimeo and it worked fine for me.  
This error is being caused by the Google Video platform.   They, like DropBox won't allow you to stream to OTT/IPTV devices.   You could probably write something to use their API to get the proper streaming URL's, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
Use Wordpress to power your Roku Direct Publisher (& other platforms) -> https://rovidx.com
0 Kudos
soyniqolas
Visitor

I got the same problem, and I just discovered why.

Youtube re-encodes every video you upload to the platform. So, the codec es H264 + AAC, in the container mp4 (ISO), but, for some reason, the container name is "mp42", so Roku doesn't recognize it like MP4.

I just downloaded a video from Youtube and uploaded to a static site, and I tried to play it with Roku, without success, because the container is the problem.

I'm working hard to discover a solution...
0 Kudos
bhrami
Visitor

Please let me know if you have a solution for this problem. I am running into this issue with YouTube videos.

Roku: Please advise us if you have a workaround on this problem.

Thanks,
Bhrami
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

"bhrami" wrote:
Please let me know if you have a solution for this problem. I am running into this issue with YouTube videos.

Roku: Please advise us if you have a workaround on this problem.

Thanks,
Bhrami

There isn't really a solution to this, aside from not using Youtube as the video host. Vimeo Pro & Amazon AWS should work. Possibly others as well as self hosting etc.
0 Kudos