Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newchannel
Roku Guru

Approval for Live?

Is there an approval process to go thru for DP if the channel has just one hls feed?
http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
newchannel
Roku Guru

Re: Approval for Live?

Just submitted another channel of only on-demand content and DP email says it may take up to 2 weeks to approve. Normally the DP channels just email me to say thank you , your channel has been added ...etc. Maybe it's changed?
0 Kudos
tim1607
Visitor

Hi NewChannel,

Congrats on the new channel, newchannel...  😄
The last channel that I put up, I also got the time estimate of "2 Weeks" but it was less than 24 hours.  I think that it really depends on what is cooking and how many folks have submitted new channels.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

"tim1607" wrote:
Hi NewChannel,

Congrats on the new channel, newchannel...  😄
The last channel that I put up, I also got the time estimate of "2 Weeks" but it was less than 24 hours.  I think that it really depends on what is cooking and how many folks have submitted new channels.

Hi Tim,
Oh, okay thanks for the information. I was wondering if something had changed in the guidelines that I wasn't aware of since my other DP channel was added right away. 
0 Kudos
tim1607
Visitor

Hi NewChannel,

Thought I would check in to see if your channel got approved yet?
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

"tim1607" wrote:
Hi NewChannel,

Thought I would check in to see if your channel got approved yet?

Hi Tim, 
They put it through yesterday. 
I'm working on learning the scenegraph which is certainly more than tough lol  I miss my subscription option since I have several of them to migrate to scenegraph and DP not adding that option for us unfortunately. But I found a few scenegraph examples and on one of them I was able to get a playlist to work. Are you a coding person yourself? I know I am not but if we can find out how to complete a few things for one of the examples, the DP people like me would have maybe one scenegraph that works to play a playlist. I post in the other forum also and trying to find answers for the fixes. (To add code for the args, how to repeat the playlist and deep linking.)
Best Regards.
0 Kudos
tim1607
Visitor

Well at the age of 60 I am trying to be a "coding person".  (I want to be a programmer when I grow up)  I have done some php/mysql, and most of my work has been as system admin for linux systems. I am in the process of working through that tutorial that you mentioned in another thread, but it is slow going.  Some of the stuff throws errors and I have to track that down to feel comfortable. I am starting to see the logic in it, but I am only on the second lesson, it's not quick going for sure.
I only have two channels up now, both are DP, one is through instanttvchannel.com, but I am trying to get that over to an SDK of my own. My other one is a simple music channel and I have that as a JSON DP channel.
I'm going to get the SDK down, then I will work the play list phase. 
My wife is on me about not having more channels, since a buddy of mine is doing quite well with several channels. I am trying to get more ideas for channels right now. I don't have anything yet that I think people would be willing to subscribe to, but that is the dream isn't it.  And the two channels that I have are not pulling enough viewers yet to warrant the Roku advertising. So far it's all just a tax deduction.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

"tim1607" wrote:
Well at the age of 60 I am trying to be a "coding person".  (I want to be a programmer when I grow up)  I have done some php/mysql, and most of my work has been as system admin for linux systems. I am in the process of working through that tutorial that you mentioned in another thread, but it is slow going.  Some of the stuff throws errors and I have to track that down to feel comfortable. I am starting to see the logic in it, but I am only on the second lesson, it's not quick going for sure.
I only have two channels up now, both are DP, one is through instanttvchannel.com, but I am trying to get that over to an SDK of my own. My other one is a simple music channel and I have that as a JSON DP channel.
I'm going to get the SDK down, then I will work the play list phase. 
My wife is on me about not having more channels, since a buddy of mine is doing quite well with several channels. I am trying to get more ideas for channels right now. I don't have anything yet that I think people would be willing to subscribe to, but that is the dream isn't it.  And the two channels that I have are not pulling enough viewers yet to warrant the Roku advertising. So far it's all just a tax deduction.

I'm glad you are understanding coding. I hope to pick your brain when I need help 🙂 
I know what you mean about ads and finding a niche. I started a channel with ads. It's slow going.. My subscription models did a lot better than the ad supported but it's growing. Takes a lot more work to make it go when not having a huge marketing budget like so many of the big channels have to stay in front of the "eyes".
I say the code to add the args for the RAF for scenegraph channel but not sure where it gets placed in the main.brs file. Found out to use contentPlaylist set to "true" to loop but don;t know where it goes either lol. And, deep linking well that is a whole other animal. I'm not a coding person, I work in video and working on a film but I have sdk channels because of the kindness of several in the forum that have helped me. Scenegraph..another learning curve. I study what I can find and read it even though I don;t know what it mean hoping some of it will sink in. I have learned very small pieces of it so far but not fullt grasped it. The examples only have parts working and not all ot that would be so much easier but then it would hurt the ones that get paid to build so I guess maybe that us why they only give us part of the picture.
If you can lead me in the right direction in regards to music. I have a radio station channel , a free channel, to migrate to DP. I was wondering if DP would accept a json feed that is audio only. I'm glad to know it can. Is there an example you can lead me to on where to begin with playing a music stream url ? I didn't see an example yet for that. I would be using json to add the url link. If you have a tip to lead me in the right direction, it would be a big help.
All the best to you on your channels. 
0 Kudos
tim1607
Visitor

I actually created a video for each of the pieces of music in my channel. I haven't done one with just straight MP3's yet, but that is coming soon.
I just sent you PM, so you can take a look.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

okay...will check the inbox.
0 Kudos