Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

PPV thru Livestream or Dacast

With PPV not being 'available' on DP I had a thought, has anyone considered using the PPV on the streaming websites side?  And, does anyone know if its possible or logistically possible? (ie Ever done any PPV events with them at all even just thru their website?)

I'll likely put a call in to some of the streaming sites like Dacast & Livestream. I have checked and they do offer PPV, but that may only be thru the website interface. And, possibly they stream to Roku channels, but for the likes of MMA, UFC & other larger events using expensive custom coded channels with on staff coders. Not sure a sales rep might understand the difference in DP and the intricacies of what can and cannot be done with it.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
newchannel
Roku Guru

Re: PPV thru Livestream or Dacast

I have a PPV channel I want to develop but have not found the info I need yet on providers etc to make it work the way I would like for it to work without having on staff coders to make it happen.
http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Thanks, yeah, in further research my thoughts would not be doable. I thought myb if a streaming provider (Livestream) handled the login credentials, possibly thru embedding the url it would ask they enter the username & PW, although it was a stretch to think that the Roku would interact directly into the url without special coding.

So it seems there are two options or methods, both require custom coding & channels, but I'm not sure which is easier. The first being allow registration thru a website (username & password, similar to Netflix, Pandora etc) then they enter the credentials within the channel. Otherwise, sell the channel thru Roku's interface, similar to the smaller channels &/or games which cost $1 etc.

One caveat, is considering making it scalable, and extending into Amazon Fire, Chromecast etc... is the first method a better way as opposed to selling it on each platform which requires the viewer to stay ONLY on that device. For a 1 day event or viewing, it's understandable. But for VOD & seaonal passes etc, the latter would likely be required.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Good thoughts you have. Wish we had an easier method for us to get our ppv ideas rolling. Always a learning curve it seems.

I wondered about a web based ppv for login and then provide access via a code to private channel but people would share the code and would defeat the purpose of ppv and would not garner the "eyes" from being listed in the "just added" channel store category : :roll:

There is another option I came across but for it to work on Roku they want a good amount of change ($$) . Looks promising if I had my own coder to implement it, but I don't have anyone to help with it.

Do you know if when you built with RSG if there is a bit of code to add in order for it work with roku billing to handle the subscription? (not ppv, just subscription). It seems there is and before under the old sdk I don't recall doing that. Do you know how to do RSG?
http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos