Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
febbraro

Transport-error / Unknown ERROR

Having a lot of trouble specifying the Direct Publisher Feed URL.  No matter what I submit I get the following error on the Video Format field

"There was a transport-level error - (Unknown ERROR)."

I can access the feed publicly at S3 and I am specifying the Video Format as "Specified in feed (Roku Feed Format only)"

I have validated the JSON (it is a valid JSON format) and I can;t see any keys or values that are not correct according to the spec on GitHub.  

I'm wondering how in the world there can be such a meaningless error message?  How do people get things published?

Here is my simplistic feed I am playing around with

{
  "providerName": "Testing Feed",
  "lastUpdated": "2018-10-31T21:01:46.035Z",
  "language": "en",
  "categories": [
    "Latest",
    "Category One",
    "Category Two",
    "Category Three"
  ],
  "shortFormVideos": [
    {
      "id": "m20181029190332",
      "title": "The Workshop: Jump Rope - Drilling the Rope Swing ",
      "releaseDate": "2018-10-29T22:00:00+00:00",
      "content": {
        "dateAdded": "2018-10-29T22:00:00+00:00",
        "videos": [
          {
            "url": "https://d3l7mm4198npa8.cloudfront.net/free/180927_buddylee_coordinatingtheperfectjump/180927_buddylee_coordinatingtheperfectjump-1080p.mp4",
            "quality": "FHD",
            "videoType": "MP4"
          }
        ],
        "duration": 148
      },
      "thumbnail": "https://d1s2fu91rxnpt4.cloudfront.net/mainsite/m20181029190332/display/BuddyLee_Coordinating_WEB.jpg",
      "shortDescription": "\"We're trying to coordinate the rope swing with the perfect jump.\" ",
      "tags": [
        "instruction",
        "jump rope",
        "buddy lee",
        "specialty course",
        "Latest"
      ]
    }
  ]
}

Any pointers at all would be greatly appreciated
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Transport-error / Unknown ERROR

Please recheck the spec. Your category object does not conform to the spec.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
febbraro

@baradankito Thank you very much, that was it.

Would be great to get some better messaging on errors like these. Do you have any idea how to provide feedback to Roku?
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

You can try Support, but, most people on this forum will tell you that Roku support is slow to respond if at all.  I found that I get better help from others on this forum.  If you have a problem, post here.  More than likely someone will be able to help you.

Btw...I detected your error by loading your file into my software.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos