Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tim1607
Visitor

Licensing content.

I have a question that I don't know if any one can answer but here goes:
I am trying to find out how to get the syndication rights to some old television shows that are being broadcast on some television channels right now.  I have attempted to reach out to the black hole email addresses related to the studio licensing groups of a couple of them. I have an ASCAP license and a BMI license but I want more, I want it all. 
Does anybody have any experience with getting any kind of response from them?  I would love to see what folks do about licensing TV Shows for rebroadcast.
You would think that something that they renewed the copyright on 30 years go would be out in the wild by now. 
Thanks for anybody's help or suggestions...
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
missrunt
Channel Surfer

Re: Licensing content.

Creative commons and public domain are the wild west for old content.  I have a friend that has over 2,000,000 Roku installs for 30+ channels built around an old catalog.  His angle was to create unique openings, and do documentary type renditions of the content in question.  It has worked very well for him over the past few years.  He actually owns a b-rate production company that has several cult classic camp films that have won awards.  Even he knows that fresh content is going to be KING, and the production is rolling for unique content again.

It's only a matter of time....
0 Kudos
tim1607
Visitor

Re: Licensing content.

Thanks Missrunt,

I have found a lot of content and am working on some of the public domain items that you suggest. 
I'm just trying to add some very specific content that I don't want to get one of those nasty legal letters in my inbox telling me that I have violated some copyright law. When there is publication of something that should be in the public domain except for the "Mickey Mouse" copyright laws that the US Congress is only too happy to pad their own pockets by extending despite the absolute violation of the premise of the Constitutional recommendation.
I'm sorry, was that out loud? Just a high level of frustration because of a quagmire of red tape.
Thanks for the info.
0 Kudos